ladies.. does your period affect your strength when weight training?

Options
So, I got my period at 1am in the morning, after 2 hours of agonizing pain I finally got to sleep but got up at 5 to get to the gym for 6am. I noticed I felt really tired and sore, when doing sumo deadlifts I had no drive in my legs to lift weight I know I have easily lifted before, my back also kept jerking :/ all other exercises I did I felt I didn't have any power to push more weight.. Do any of you ladies get this?

Replies

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If you are in pain and could not sleep because of it, of course you will not have strength to exercise. If this happens again, to not be able to sleep because of pain, give yourself a rest day.
  • louubelle16
    louubelle16 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    I would say that the fact it impacts your sleep is why you were too tired, but if you have a really heavy period you could be suffering from reduced iron levels, which would also make you feel tired. This is something I have suffered with, but it's nothing the doctor didn't sort with iron tablets.

Personally, now I have that issue sorted, the fact I'm grumpy for those few days gives me more anger to vent and I'm sure this makes my workouts better!
  • mirrim52
    mirrim52 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I am always horribly weak the first couple days of my cycle. I still lift, but I don't increase weights that week. Sometimes I need to take a small deload.
  • lisalsd1
    lisalsd1 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Check t-nation; I read an article about ladies' cycles/hormones and lifting. I find that if I don't feel so great when I get to the gym, usually once I start working out I feel better (takes a bit of time).

If you are in agonizing pain to the point you can't sleep; you should probably see a gyn.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    lisalsd1 wrote: »
    Check t-nation; I read an article about ladies' cycles/hormones and lifting. I find that if I don't feel so great when I get to the gym, usually once I start working out I feel better (takes a bit of time).

If you are in agonizing pain to the point you can't sleep; you should probably see a gyn.

I have that article linked in my profile.

It happens to me a couple times a year. Mostly I get the dip in strength right after ovulation. Leading up to it, I'm stronger than ever after and then there's a decrease as soon as I ovulate. It's not always enough to be problematic but when it happens it comes out of the blue and is a bit maddening because I'll suddenly struggle to lift something that was manageable just two days before.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

It happens to me a couple times a year. Mostly I get the dip in strength right after ovulation. Leading up to it, I'm stronger than ever after and then there's a decrease as soon as I ovulate. It's not always enough to be problematic but when it happens it comes out of the blue and is a bit maddening because I'll suddenly struggle to lift something that was manageable just two days before.

Here's are two articles that go over this:

* http://www.optimumh.co.uk/influence-of-menstrual-cycle-on-strength-training-and-timing/
    * https://www.t-nation.com/training/hormone-cycle-and-female-lifters
  • mochapygmy
    mochapygmy Posts: 2,123 Member
    Options
    I 'm also weakest right after ovulation but once my period starts I am in beast mode. I'ver heard that most women are weakest the first couple of days of their period. However I agree that your situating was probably due to not getting enough quality rest.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I haven't really noticed a difference quiet frankly.
  • diyadiamonds
    diyadiamonds Posts: 74 Member
    Options

It happens to me a couple times a year. Mostly I get the dip in strength right after ovulation. Leading up to it, I'm stronger than ever after and then there's a decrease as soon as I ovulate. It's not always enough to be problematic but when it happens it comes out of the blue and is a bit maddening because I'll suddenly struggle to lift something that was manageable just two days before.[/quote]

* http://www.optimumh.co.uk/influence-of-menstrual-cycle-on-strength-training-and-timing/
    * https://www.t-nation.com/training/hormone-cycle-and-female-lifters [/quote]

Thanks a bunch!!
  • wolfsbayne2
    wolfsbayne2 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I'm usually stronger. Go figure.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,986 Member
    Options

The t-nation article was very interesting and this linked one is hilarious: 10 Mistakes Women Make in the Gym
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    I don't notice a difference.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    No, but I also don't experience debilitating pain that keeps me from sleeping. You might be exhausted because of that.
  • ShibaEars
    ShibaEars Posts: 3,928 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I don't have pain or trouble sleeping but I definitely struggle the day before my period starts and the first day. After that I'm back to normal.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I would say the lack of sleep probably had far more to do with it.

As for me, I notice little to no difference in my strength. What I do notice is that my pain tolerance is higher. I'm a fraction more aggressive. Which adds up to it now being my preferred time to compete, barring the extra fun of making weight while bloated. I'm just more willing to dig in and grind out reps.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    I think it might affect other things that would affect my gym performance, like your lack of sleep because of the pain, but I never noticed a direct correlation. If anything, I just adjust my gym days during that week because as I've gotten older, my periods suck more. Day 1 is awful.
  • whatatime2befit
    whatatime2befit Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    My strength is always affected, every month. I can't lift even close to what I normally can, especially on lifts like squats.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options

Awesome link!
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I often feel that way due to cramping or not enough sleep but it passes after the first day or two. Some reading I did stated that women are actually more powerful from day1-14 of their cycle and should go somewhat easier on days 15-28. All in relation to testosterone/estrogen availability in the body. If I find the article I will post.
  • youngmomtaz
    youngmomtaz Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    And now that my slow internet has allowed me to read all comments I see that the info I stated is common.