Hungry all the time

Options
Hi, in just wondering is there a certain food that will keep me fuller for longer? An hour after the meal I'm usually hungry again

Replies

• PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Incorporate high protein foods into your diet - I find protein helps me hugely (and my appetite is enormous). :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Lot's of protein and fats, for satiety.
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    If you are feeling hungry all the time, you have to make sure you are packing in your proteins. So meat and beans are vital in your diet!
  • ki4eld
    ki4eld Posts: 1,215 Member
    Options
    Protein and fats work for me. Carbs just make me more hungry. I also use IF. The keto/IF combo has been wonderful for me at controlling hunger.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    What are you eating? Are you eating veggies? Foods with fat or oil? Protein?
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    Sometimes in just hungry, especially when changing my calorie intake or increasing or changing my workout routine.

Try to load your meals with proteins, healthy fats, and a little whole grains/complex carbs. That combo always keeps me fuller, longer.

I have found that processed foods, specifically, never stick with me.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Endless carbs keep me starving. High protein and high fats keep me full.

I can eat a banana split, toast, crackers, chips, etc until the point I am sick but still be hungry.
    But if I eat an omlette with cheese, I'm full for hours.
  • kat_princess12
    kat_princess12 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Protein doesn't fill me up as much as fats and complex carbs do. Try cheese, yogurt, eggs (bonus: lots of protein, too). Opt for whole-grain breads and pastas, if you eat them.
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I found I had to really hit my protein goals and pile on the vegetables. It took awhile for me to adjust to not eating such filling portions.

But I do find now that it feels more natural. I rarely feel unsatisfied now. If I'm still hungry after an hour, though, I would probably eat something else. Means I didn't get enough.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    Protein works best for me. Fat to some extent, but it's calorically expensive. Chicken breast and Greek yogurt with protein powder are a couple of my favorites.

Vegetables are filling but, for me, only in the relatively short term. I get hungrier faster after eating them than I do with protein.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    In addition to playing around a bit with the mix of foods you're eating, I'd also ask how many calories in total are you shooting for each day?

It's possible you've set yourself too aggressive of a goal and that could be contributing to not eating enough in general (regardless of the type of food) and leading to hunger.
  • mreeves261
    mreeves261 Posts: 728 Member
    Options
    You should also probably ask yourself this... Am I physically hungry (this comes with physical side effects, grumbling stomach) or am I mentally hungry? It took me a while to learn the difference but once I did I was able to look at my meals and spot what was lacking when I was physically hungry.

As far as keeping me full, meat proteins do nothing for me.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    These are my really general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

7. I also think it's important to remember that there's a habitual component to hunger. This goes along with point #6, but if you eat because you're bored or you're used to eating in front of the TV or in the car or whatever it is, then you can replace those habits with others that are better for you. Things like keeping water on hand to sip instead of snacking or picking up hobbies that keep your hands busy or that get you out of the house more can help out a little while you're retraining your hunger cues. You might need to pay attention to why you're eating/hungry or what you're feeling when you eat and try to replace food with other things, but it can be really beneficial over time.