HRM vs Machine Calorie Burn

Options
Good Morning All!

Two days ago I purchased a Polar FT4 HRM. So, yesterday I decided to take it to the gym to see how many calories it would tell me I burn during my regular gym routine; 40-mins on the elliptical (with resisiance throughout), and then a 40-minute run with hills and sprint intervals.

I always set the machines to my current body weight, and round down from the totals the machines read out after each workout. The combined total of burned calories shown is usually 950.

The HRM, on the other hand, showed 550 yesterday.....

Which do you think is more accurate? I've been basing my food choices and exercise logging on the 950 (and it's worked for me), but now this new number of 550 kinda throws me off.... Maybe I should stick to the machine readouts for gym workouts, and use the HRM for things like fitness classes, and roller-blading and such?

Replies

• beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    HRM totally. The machines in the gym massively overestimate because they don't take in to account your fitness level, whether you hold on or not, etc etc
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    But then, if it aint broke, don't fix it :)
  • MsLadyVirgo
    MsLadyVirgo Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    WoW! That's a huge difference. I have the PFT7, and use its output as my calorie burn. I'm not sure about the 4, but w/the 7 it factors in my resting heart rate to determine my fatburning and fitness burning zone. I also have to wet the strap.

Are you placing the band in the correct place? If you are, and you've seen results using the machine calculation, then I would simply average it out. What's the worse that could happen?
  • maysflower
    maysflower Posts: 180
    Options
    I would go by your HRM for a week or 2. See if your weight loss increases or slows down. That will give you a good idea on what works best for you.
  • keegrsmom
    keegrsmom Posts: 27
    Options
    Unfortunately I'd say the Polar HRM is more accurate assuming you have the settings correctly set to your age, weight, activity level, etc.
  • agataarchangel
    agataarchangel Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Coolio. Thanks guys :-)
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Def. go with your HRM.. I have the FT7 for a 30 min sprint/walk program on the elliptical today, it told me I burned 451. The elliptical said about 220 something... big difference? yes! but I know its pretty accurate.
  • shannonpatton
    shannonpatton Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I also have the polar FT4. I have noticed it is almost never the same as what I burn on the treadmill, but it all depends what my heartrate is. The higher, the more calories I burn. I almost always go with my HRM since it's more accurate to your heartrate and all :)
  • UltraRunnerGale
    UltraRunnerGale Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I have the Polar FT7. For myself, I go by that. :love: