Problems with buying bulk quinoa?

Options
Has anyone had a bad experience with bulk quinoa? Twice I have bought it from bulk bins (from two different stores) and I have ended up with pantry moths both times, with the quinoa being the obvious source. If I buy it prepackaged from Costco or Kroger, I have never had a problem. It's much cheaper in the bins, but I don't really want to invite pests into my house. I am wondering if I just got unlucky or if this is a common thing?

Replies

• juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    lporter229 wrote: »
    Has anyone had a bad experience with bulk quinoa? Twice I have bought it from bulk bins (from two different stores) and I have ended up with pantry moths both times, with the quinoa being the obvious source. If I buy it prepackaged from Costco or Kroger, I have never had a problem. It's much cheaper in the bins, but I don't really want to invite pests into my house. I am wondering if I just got unlucky or if this is a common thing?

How do you store it? I generally buy it in bulk, but then transfer it into a 'tupperware' like sealed container for storage.
  • lshapard
    lshapard Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I seal it as well in a air tight container. Same for all flours and sugars.
  • lyttlewon
    lyttlewon Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I have never experienced moths buying bulk quinoa.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Yes, I store it in an air tight container as well. Same with all of my dry pantry goods. I think that the moth larvae must be in the quinoa when I bought it.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I haven't had any issues with moths in my quinoa. You may want to let the store you bought it at know. Although, now it may be too late.