I'm going to Disney!!! I need advice

Options
So currently laying in bed waiting for my husband and son to wake up. We are telling our 5yr old we are going to Disney this morning. I'm so excited!!!
My husband and I have been in this healthy lifestyle journey for over a year. We can tell we are in it for life because we are stressing a little on what we are going to eat and how are we going to exercise.
Any advice with food choice there to keep on track. I know we will walk a lot. Maybe was thinking of doing walking sprints throughout the day. Sit-ups and push ups in am.
Any advice would be appreciated.

AND don't worry we plan on having fun!!!

I'm also celebrating my 40th while we are down there! Happy to be with family and friends in such a magical place. Especially 55lbs lighter!!!

Replies

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    If it's just for a day or so I wouldn't worry too much about it- just have fun, drink lots of water to keep hydrated because you will be walking a lot, and enjoy yourself. If it's a week or so Just focus on making mostly healthy food choices (not sure what is there but usually places have lower calories options) or watch portions, but in any case you're not going to undo a year of work in a few days. If you gain a pound or two you 'll easily lose it again. Congrats by the way on your 55 pound loss- that's my ultimate goal and I'm less than 10 pounds from that. Have a great time- I would love to see your 5 year old's face!
  • amgreenwell
    amgreenwell Posts: 1,268 Member
    Options
    You'll be walking a ridiculous amount so that can be your exercise. If you need additional calories burned just use the fitness gyms at the resorts.
    Disney has all kinds of healthy options, lots of the snack vendors have fruit, yogurt, hummus, etc. Finding healthy meals is also an option...even if you go to the buffet restaurants they have plentiful salad bars and lots of high protein options. Be sure to drink lots of water. Have fun!
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    one day at Disney isn't going to destroy your health...it's just a day...have fun...you'll be walking your *kitten* off.

if you're "in it for life" you should be able to look at the bigger picture...your health and wellness isn't predicated on occasional events...they are pretty irrelevant to the whole.
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I went for a week in Jan and with all the walking was just fine. I know the Be Our Guest rest has a nutrional menu (or did) online...plus, as others have said they have healthier snack options. :)
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I went to Disney a few months ago. I found that eating at the sit down restaurants gave me better food choices than the quick stops. You'll walk so much that you will be able to eat quite a bit anyway. Have fun and don't worry about one day.
  • 4PinkLady9
    4PinkLady9 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are avid Disney Go-ers. There are plenty of fruit/veggie stations. You can substitute any fries for fruit at any of the fast food places in the park. Look at the sit down places, you can also pack a lunch and have a picnic(there are lockers outside). Also if you don't mind the walking, across the street (Anaheim Garden Walk there are a few restaurants there-one of our favorites is Called Fire+Ice they are a Korean BBQ (It's a buffet type of wok place-you choose all the veggies you want and the meat (its raw) and take it to the grill and they grill it for you-you choose the seasoning and how much of it you want. so a super healthy way to eat at a very decent price (they have lunch for about 12) and its all you can eat so you can load up on the veggies. My husband and I usually eat here and take our own apples with us for snacks in the park. :) Hope you have a great day, have fun and don't stress too much! :)
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,286 Member
    Options
    every time I go to Disney I come back lighter, and I eat like crap. Enjoy yourself, you will be walking so much. as far as advice.....if you're worried about it pack your own snacks, and when you go to a restaurant do what you would do at any restaurant and make sensible choices. But, seriously, don't stress over it.
  • daremightythings
    daremightythings Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Just go and eat and enjoy yourself.
  • BethAnnieT
    BethAnnieT Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    We went in October and walked 30,000+ steps every single day, and some days added swimming at the hotel to that. So exercising was kind of... not going to happen on top of that (though the hotel had a fitness center in it). I'd say pack your own snacks, then sit down and have a meal at a real restaurant (check menus online first). Don't stress too much about it, but yes, you can have a healthy food day at Disney if you try.

How long will you be there? Where are you staying?
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the kind words and great support. We are staying for 6 days.
    Today has been amazing. We told our son at breakfast that we wanted to skip work and asked him if he wanted to skip school. He said yes (of course) and we suggested a Disney trip. He laughed and agreed that would be awesome. We revealed the Mickey shirts we were wearing and pointed to the luggage in the corner of the room. He screamed and yelled in excitement.
    It's 10pm right now... What a full day of flying down here, hoping into the pool to enjoy the warm weather and hanging out.
    I brought tons of healthy snacks so I hope that helps.
  • Dawn410
    Dawn410 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I've found that eating a healthy breakfast in-room, combined with smart choices in the parks, helps a lot. Avoid the soda for tains. My favorite healthy meals.in magic kingdom are at Columbia Harbor house. They have grilled salmon, a veg sandwich, and veg chili on the menu. I also like cosmic Ray's for the rotisserie chicken. Avoid the turkey leg cart like the plague, those things have a day's worth of calories!

At Epcot, most places offer a healthy option. Sunshine seasons inside the land pavilion especially has lots of healthy choices.

Animal kingdom 's flame tree barbecue offers rotisserie chicken.

Hollywood studios I'm not as familiar with healthy choices, we usually bring sandwiches in and then eat at pizza planet for dinner.

• Dawn410
    Dawn410 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    YOu better be ready to eat as much as possible. you will easily walk around 10 miles, if you explore the whole park

Why would you tell someone to eat as much as possible? They are trying to stay on track. Walking around disney doesn't burn as much as you'd like to think.
  • hotcoffee692
    hotcoffee692 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Since you're going to be there for six days (lucky you!), you might want to check out the menus, so you can see where your best options are. Here are the California ones: http://allears.net/dlr/dining/menus and here are Florida: http://allears.net/dining/menu

Have fun; I'm so jealous!
  • lavrn03
    lavrn03 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Day 2 done. Making good choices. Definitely eating things I wouldn't normally but I think about it before I eat it. Doing the moderation thing.
    I love this place!!!!