buying a hrm

Options
I know that the best hrm's are the ones with the chest straps with them. But I think that the chest strap would just be uncomforatable. I am looking at buying one and have never used one before but just the way it looks makes me think that I wouldn't like them. For you people that have them, what is your opinion on the chest strap? Also, is there a good one out there that doesn't require a chest strap?

Replies

• seobstar
    seobstar Posts: 169
    Options
    I just got the Polar F4 and I LOVE it, the chest strap doesn't bother me one bit...I don't even feel it once it's on.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    a lot of people think they are uncomfortable before they use them, I can't remember the last time that someone who has one has felt that way though, they are not as far as I know.

I've had one for 4 years and you really forget it's even there most of the time. My wife has had one forever as well. Seriously, they make them specifically so that you don't feel uncomfortable wearing them.

As to whether there are good ones for no strap, well, yes and no. If it's a true HRM then no, they really don't (none that I'm aware of anyway, and I've been in this game for a while) but they do have other things that are similar like the body bugg or the body fit media devices, which don't actually measure the electrical impulses of the heart but use other methods to determine things like calorie count, metabolic rate...etc. BUT these are usually quite a bit more expensive than a standard HRM with a chest strap.

The good ones are Polar, Timex Ironman, Garmin, some like the Rebok one, there's a few more that are pretty good, but I can't remember.
  • tlynnweb
    tlynnweb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Not sure how a HRM monitors your heart rate without a strap but I have to tell you
    I thought the very same thing when I found out that the Polar F6 had a strap. All of my friends had that watch and I wanted it. I was pissed they didn't tell me there was a strap. I have to say, it does not bother me. It goes right under my sports bra band and I don't even notice it! Good luck!
  • crystaltrejo
    crystaltrejo Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I have the same one Polar FT4, it's soft and doesn't bother me a bit....once on it''s definately forgotten about, not uncomfortable in any way. I had the same fear at first and now I forget it's on.
  • notsomushy
    notsomushy Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    The New Balance N4(Target) is excellent. I purchased mine last week, you honestly do not realize you have the chest strap on. Its not bulky or uncomfortable. Great investment.
  • lisaloo85
    lisaloo85 Posts: 81
    Options
    ok! thanks for the comments everyone! I guess I will buy one then and give it a try!
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I just got the Polar F4 and I LOVE it, the chest strap doesn't bother me one bit...I don't even feel it once it's on.

Totally agree - you don't even notice it !!
  • neonpink
    neonpink Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Polar ft4 hrm here too ! I think its the best bet for your first hrm it does everything you need to start with including counting calories burned.
  • bootlebop1979
    Options
    I have an HRM. However, I am not sure if it is giving me accurate readings. The stats seem really low =\ I have replaced the batteries. I bought it on clearance. I think that was a mistake. Mine does have the strap which was a must for me when I was deciding on one. Once it is on, I don't even pay attention to it. I think my next one will be one of the Polar HRM's. A lot of my friends have them and love them.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    just be aware, most HRM's don't take out RMR from the calorie numbers, meaning you need to subtract what you would burn normally in that time period before you enter the calories. There are a few that do, but most don't (polar doesn't). To be sure, I'd call the manufacturer to check.
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Don't know if this will help you any but...........Here is a link that was posted in another thread with a lot of information on HRM's. Also, I would suggest getting one with a chest strap as they are better to calculate an accurate HR.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/the-real-facts-about-hrms-and-calories-what-you-need-to-know-before-purchasing-an-hrm-or-using-one-21472
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Do not buy one with out a chest strap.. you need the chest strap for accuracy. You also need one that lets you enter height, weight, age and sex.

With that being said, I have the Polar FT7 and I absolutely love it! The strap is cloth and adjustable, so you can make it as big or as small as you want. It's also super easy to set up/use and is really accurate.
  • pressica
    pressica Posts: 361
    Options
    If you can wear a bra and be comfortable, you can wear a chest strap. You won't notice the difference.
  • noaha
    noaha Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I purchased a Polar FT80 a few months ago and I wear it for cycling, running, strength training... pretty much everything except basketball. Before I had one, I used to think the chest strap would be annoying, but it really is quite comfortable.
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    The New Balance N4(Target) is excellent. I purchased mine last week, you honestly do not realize you have the chest strap on. Its not bulky or uncomfortable. Great investment.
    I have the same model and I don't notice the chest strap 9 times out of 10 unless it's too tight. I loosen it and I'm go to go.

Just remember that the HRMs with chest straps are considerably more reliable.
  • TiDinzeo
    TiDinzeo Posts: 309
    Options
    I've got a Polar FT4 as well and I have no problems at all with the chest strap. It doesn't take long after putting it on for me to forget it's even there. It doesn't have to be very tight, just enough so that it's not going to move around whilst you're exercising.