Calories: Strict or casual?

Lucille4444
Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
edited November 2015 in Health and Weight Loss
Everyone is different, but I'm finding that for me, a fairly strict plan of what to eat when helps me stay on track.
I pretty much know how many calories/foods I'm going to be eating at what time of day.
Eventually I might become a little more casual but right now, this is working, and with the built in snack times, I find that I don't get the severe hungries that lead me to overeat, or bored prowlies that have in the past led me to prowl and find a little something in the pantry and eat it whether I was hungry or not.

Replies

• R0asted
    R0asted Posts: 83 Member
    I've always been EXTREMELY strict when loosing weight. My very first cut I counted calories and estimated portions and this was about 15 years ago. The next cut I had a scale etc. It always worked. I would drop 2 lbs every single week like clockwork. I did a few bodybuilding contests and it was the same thing. Very structured meals and eating mostly the same thing every day. It does work! But the problem, at least for me, is that it's not maintainable. For 12-16 weeks at a time I would not have a drop of alcohol, not party, not eat out, barely see my friends, etc. cause my life revolved around my diet and workouts. Cheating was not in my vocabulary. Doing this for 2-3 months a year is doable but whole year? Misery!

This time around I'm doing a very casual cut in comparison. Generally hitting my macros but if I go out to dinner and am off a bit here and there I don't beat myself up over it. Same with the occasional drunken night. I STILL track everything but if I blow my macros a day or two here and there it's not the end of the world. I also don't pay attention to meal timing at all. Needless to say I'm losing slower, and not as consistently but I'm still seeing progress and I could TOTALLY do this year round. In fact, once I hit about 8-9% bf I'm going to try to maintain it this time around instead of slowly reverting to my usual 12-15%.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Strict.
  • ElleMarieRose
    ElleMarieRose Posts: 37 Member
    If it works for you and is healthy, I say go for it. I go between strict and casual all the time depending on my mood.
  • spatulamom
    spatulamom Posts: 158 Member
    Strict. If I'm not strict, I'm not going to see much of a difference (as evidenced by my lackadaisical logging on Saturday).
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Casual. I tried doing the same amount of calories every day, but I'd end up forcing in food that I didn't want to eat one day, then going to bed hungry a couple days later. My hunger varies, so eating to numbers doesn't work that well for me. If I feel like overeating, I do. I'll usually do extra exercise to make up for it, but now always.

I watch my weeks and months to be sure I'm doing okay, calories-wise, but day-to-day, I'm pretty casual.
  • kailyw05
    kailyw05 Posts: 80 Member
    I would say I'm pretty strict at work Monday-Friday, but outside of that I am very casual. I almost never consume more than 800 calories while at work - breakfast between 9-10, lunch between 12:30-1, snack between 3-4.

If I choose not to work out, or didn't get out for my walk at lunch, I maybe won't have my popcorn in front of the tv, or I won't share a chocolate bar with my husband. But if I'm pretty active, I can usually have a decent portioned supper, dessert, and a snack before bed. On weekends I'm active, and usually have some banked calories to spend, so I really don't watch my macros too closely. I like this flexibility so if we're busy and decide to order a pizza, I can usually have 2-3 pieces on a whim and not worry about it.

I am also in maintenance, so this probably helps. I wasn't quite as flexible when I was losing, but I still maintained the same general structure.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    I'm fairly strict Mon-Fri so I can be very casual on the weekends.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Strict when I'm trying to cut, casual when I'm maintaining. I couldn't be strict for the rest of my life -- it's just not a sustainable thing for me.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Casual. My calories vary day-to-day, but as long as it mostly adds up by the end of the week, I don't worry. Caveat: I'm back on here after getting a little *too* casual. I kept the weight off for about a year, but started back into bad eating habits while dealing with life stress. I started gaining weight again, so I'm back on here to remind myself what my portions are supposed to look like!
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    I have a range and within that range, I'm casual. But once I hit that point, then I log very carefully. That line I cross is precisely where I'll overeat my calorie goals if I'm not careful.
  • Kalin7
    Kalin7 Posts: 9 Member
    I have lost 30lbs and I did it by a strict diet . but....I allowed myself one cheat day.keeps my sanity lol and due to my dieting I found myself not even eating as much of the foods I "love" .
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    I'm pretty casual I suppose. I HATE rules. But I love doing what I want within the context of CICO. It gives me just enough freedom where I can switch things up
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited November 2015
    I was quite strict when actively losing, although there'd be exceptions and I'm fine with moving calories around within a week to make room for dinners out. But for me, hunger seems to not vary that much and be more based on habit than anything else, so eating based on meal time and what portions seem appropriate vs. how much I might feel like I could eat works better for me. Invariably if I eat a reasonable portion size (based on calories) it will end up being enough.

I'm much more casual when maintaining -- I often don't log at all, although I continue to watch portions and do much better when I don't really snack. (The hardest thing was when I was snacking a lot because I was on a biking trip and wanted to continue eating that way afterwards. It was almost like starting over.)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited November 2015
    Very loose here. I often end up adjusting dinner because I was more or less hungry during the day... I really just try to follow my hunger cues, so it has an impact on what I eat, usually.

But I'm strict about counting, I weigh and log everything...
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Both! In my almost 3 years I have been strict for the most part but have gone casual many periods. Then I "plateau" and go strict again to break it. Never once have I gone "F**k" it mode and I never intend to.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Casual for me. My calorie range varies a good 200 calories above and below my calorie goal. When I am strict, food is on my mind too much, which makes me want to eat. It's counterproductive to weightloss. ;)
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Little of both?

I plan all my meals the day in advance, so in that sense I know exactly what I'll have for each meal. However, I usually use the logs as a guide to weigh out the portions, and I don't go back and correct the logs to be exactly what I consumed. E.g. if I am going to weigh out 8.6 ounces of milk and call that one serving, I count anything from 8.00 to 8.99 as "one serving", and assume it averages out.

Likewise, I don't weigh things like slices of pizza or anything, I figure again, they average out over time. My goal is to be both accurate and simple, and sometimes the latter requires some small compromises to the former. I log very little on the day of - almost everything is pre-logged and not edited later.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    I was strict when I started out, now I'm pretty chill.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Strict, but only in the coming under the numbers. I will jump my butt up IMMEDIATELY and hop on my treadmill if I go over to make up for it. But if I'm a little under and I'm just not hungry, so be it. I'm not gonna eat if I'm not hungry, that's what got me into this situation in the first place....
  • I'm strict about logging and weighing accurately. Everything has to be recorded honestly. I'm strict about not eating if I am not hungry and stopping myself before getting stuffed. I try to aim for 1,200 - 1,500 calories as my typical daily average, but I actually keep my profile set for a loss of 1/2 pound per week - meaning I can eat a lot more than that range and still be in a deficit. Thus, when it comes to calories, I am casual. If I am extra hungry (usually a few days per month because I'm a chick) or want to work in calorie dense food (because birthdays or holidays or cravings or feeling deprived), I do it. I have weeks of big losses and weeks of small losses, and it's all good as long as the scale trends in the right direction.