Nursing mom

Options
Hi. New at this and wondering is there an option on here to allow for the extra calories that a nursing mom needs. I have a 10 weeks old and do not want my eating to interfere with my supply. Thanks :)

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Log breastfeeding under food. Counterintuitive, yes, but it actually gives you an additional 500 calories.
  • ragenhay1
    ragenhay1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    HI I'm nursing a three month old. I found I had to pay around with my calories until I settled on a good amount that allowed me to lose weight while not interfering with supply. I'm currently at 1630 plus I add in breastfeeding at -300 calories in my food. I'm probably actually burning 500 but this gives me a cushion in case I don't log something perfectly. I did start of lower without adding breastfeeding but found my supply going down so made adjustments until it worked. I've lost 11 lbs in the past 30 days.
  • mammer83
    mammer83 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    That's excellent so far though! So the breastfeeding calories don't actually get added on. I'm confused how it works for this app.
  • ragenhay1
    Options
    mammer83 wrote: »
    That's excellent so far though! So the breastfeeding calories don't actually get added on. I'm confused how it works for this app.

They get subtracted from your food. Do a search in food for breastfeeding and add it as a snack and you will see how it works.
  • Miteekay
    Miteekay Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    ragenhay1 wrote: »
    mammer83 wrote: »

They get subtracted from your food. Do a search in food for breastfeeding and add it as a snack and you will see how it works.

So I add -500 calorie snack to my food? Right?
    (I'm new as well. I pump and ebf when I'm home from work.)
    I don't need my supply to drop.
  • ragenhay1
    edited November 2015
    Options
    For now I would just track what you are eating then when baby is minimum 12 weeks you can start cutting calories slowly and seeing how your supply is doing. From everything I've read it is recommended to wait until at least 12 weeks postpartum before cutting calories. Most exclusively breastfeeding mom's would need between 1800 to 2200 calories per day. What I did was used mfp the way anyone else would. Set up my goal weight activity level etc then I just search for breastfeeding as if it were a food item and add it in each day to my food diary.this makes it so I'm eating around 1900 calories a day. You may need more or less.
  • sleepingsun825
    sleepingsun825 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!
    Glad I found this thread! I've got an almost 4mo. And I'm EBF. Trying to get into some sort of shape again, and would love to connect with other moms in the same boat!