Fitbit Charge HR Calories Burned + MFP

Options
Hi guys,

I know this question has been asked previously, however, I don't think anyone gave a clear answer. For the past month that I've been using MFP along with my Fitbit Charge HR, and have seen that I somehow burn... A lot of calories, an absurd amount that I can't seem to comprehend.

I'm a guy, 18 years old, 210lbs, 5'10", with an estimated bodyfat of 17-22. I'm typically active and go hard when in the gym. My TDEE is ~2900 and my goal in MFP is at deficit of 2400. I see that I'm burning over 3500, sometimes, on my most busy days as a food server (on my feet for several hours, speed walking) + going to the gym (lifting, cardio) + my other daily activity, it can go as high as 5000 calories. Syncing into MFP, I will have an extra 800~1800 calories I can consume in a day. I don't get how that's possible. I don't want to undereat so that my body eats away at muscle, and I don't want to consume too much as I don't want to gain weight.

Any tips? Is this thing even accurate?

Thanks

Replies

• shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    How did you determine that your TDEE was 2900?

Look over the logs, is there anytime where the HR is registering high when it shouldn't be?
    Is your resting HR higher than normal (according to Mayo Clinic, normal is 60-100)?
    Are the stats on your Fitbit account accurate (sometimes weight/height will glitch and as a result cause inflated calorie burns)?

I have the Surge. It's fairly accurate for me. Currently giving me an 30 day average of 2013 calories per day while I was sick and inactive. When I'm active it's typically around 2400 on average. (5'4.5", around 126 lbs, 25)
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When I got my Charge HR, I was also surprised to see how much I was burning. I work a desk job, but I run six days a week and I walk to work when the weather allows (4 miles round trip). I weigh 111 pounds and I'm a woman and my Fitbit gives me about 2,100 calories on an average day. So if you're on your feet for several hours (which I'm not), those burns don't surprise me given your stats.

How many calories are you eating now and are you losing weight?

I gradually worked up to eating all the calories my Fitbit gave me -- I've been doing it for a couple of months now and my weight is maintaining. But the best way to know if it is accurate is to look and what you're eating now and compare it to what the Fitbit is giving you.
  • drewcutting
    drewcutting Posts: 5 Member
    Options

Look over the logs, is there anytime where the HR is registering high when it shouldn't be?
    Is your resting HR higher than normal (according to Mayo Clinic, normal is 60-100)?
    Are the stats on your Fitbit account accurate (sometimes weight/height will glitch and as a result cause inflated calorie burns)?

I have the Surge. It's fairly accurate for me.

I determined my TDEE via IIFYM (their estimation, trusted by many). My HR while sitting/relaxed will range between 80-90 (60-65 while resting/sleeping). I keep my weight and height updated (although probably not gaining height anymore).

When I got my Charge HR, I was also surprised to see how much I was burning. I work a desk job, but I run six days a week and I walk to work when the weather allows (4 miles round trip). I weigh 111 pounds and I'm a woman and my Fitbit gives me about 2,100 calories on an average day. So if you're on your feet for several hours (which I'm not), those burns don't surprise me given your stats.

I gradually worked up to eating all the calories my Fitbit gave me -- I've been doing it for a couple of months now and my weight is maintaining. But the best way to know if it is accurate is to look and what you're eating now and compare it to what the Fitbit is giving you.

I eat around 3200-3800 a day after compensating for my HR calorie burn. However I also drink nearly 2 gallons of water a day, and the scale will usually fluctuate from 208-214. Usually sticks around 210-212. I have not seen any progress on the scale and I have been advised against it (progress in the mirror)

• janejellyroll
    Options

I determined my TDEE via IIFYM (their estimation, trusted by many). My HR while sitting/relaxed will range between 80-90 (60-65 while resting/sleeping). I keep my weight and height updated (although probably not gaining height anymore).

I eat around 3200-3800 a day after compensating for my HR calorie burn. However I also drink nearly 2 gallons of water a day, and the scale will usually fluctuate from 208-214. Usually sticks around 210-212. I have not seen any progress on the scale and I have been advised against it (progress in the mirror)

Are you trying to gain weight or lose it?
  • drewcutting
    Options

Lose, hence why my goal is set to a 500 calorie deficit of 2400.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Oh yeah, sorry. You already mentioned that. If you are eating around 3,200-3,800 a day and maintaining your weight and you've been doing it for a while, it sounds like the Fitbit may be giving you a few too many calories (or maybe there is an issue with your logging and you're eating a bit more than you think).
  • drewcutting
    Options

Oh yeah, sorry. You already mentioned that. If you are eating around 3,200-3,800 a day and maintaining your weight and you've been doing it for a while, it sounds like the Fitbit may be giving you a few too many calories (or maybe there is an issue with your logging and you're eating a bit more than you think).

I weight each of my food to the gram or ounce, depending on what's available. I don't usually snack, and if I do, I log that as well. It's a tough situation. I wish I could rely on my fitbit more. Someone told me I should remove 10% of the FitBit's calories to save room for error.
  • janejellyroll
    Options

I weight each of my food to the gram or ounce, depending on what's available. I don't usually snack, and if I do, I log that as well. It's a tough situation. I wish I could rely on my fitbit more. Someone told me I should remove 10% of the FitBit's calories to save room for error.

Yeah, I would say that as much as there are people (like myself) who have had great experiences with the Fitbit calorie burns, the proof is really in your results. If I were in your situation, I would try cutting a bit more and see if that produces progress for you.
  • xXGearheadXx
    xXGearheadXx Posts: 56 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    I'm dealing with the same quandry myself. Switching from the iphone as my steps tracker to the fitbit represented a step change in the data i go off of...as in, the iphone would record a TDEE of around 2500, while with the same activity level the fitbit allows for 2800-3100 on most days for me.

I don't trust that number yet, but am in the process of figuring it out. Tighten up your logging like your life depends on it, and watch the trends on the scale. Weigh several times/week and compare the average loss/gain from the previous week to the last over a period of time and you should be able to pull pretty close to your real TDEE from that data. Example, if you eat 500cals under the fitbit TDEE number/day, that should come out to a #/week of weight loss. Because weight loss is not linear, you're looking for the trends over a month, 2 months, etc...

If you're not signed up for them, get your weekly reports from fitbit emailed to you, they give a weekly summary with total cals consumed vs. burned. I find this more valuable and easier to understand than the day to day summaries in the fitbit software, or the net calories remaining with MFP.
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,643 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    if you are using TDEE method, you should not be eating back exercise calories. It sounds like you are. TDEE method accounts for exercise calories already and eating them back will put you in surplus and not deficit.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your statements though.

*edited for spelling.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    if you are using TDEE method, you should not be eating back exercise calories. It sounds like you are. TDEE method accounts for exercise calories already and eating them back will put you in surplus and not deficit.

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding your statements though.

*edited for spelling.

I think he's trying to determine if his estimate for his TDEE is too low given what the Fitbit is reflecting for burn.
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    If OP is not losing, I'd say that it's too high and they are in surplus. I also read a study recently that suggested that Fitbit overestimates by up to 10% per hour.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Is actually quite simple

If you've been tracking for 6 weeks or so and aren't losing then there's something wrong with your CICO and you're eating at maintenance

So cut 500 off ...or tighten up your logging or both ...and judge again in another 6 weeks

You may find setting up an account on trendweight.com helps ...weights logged in MFP will, via fitbit, automatically go there and you'll get a better overview grasp of your weight trend
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    When I first got my Fitbit I couldn't believe the burns either. But I started tracking it. I then verify those numbers with the actual weight I've lost. And it does work. As long as you know you are accurate with logging your food. It takes 7000 calories per week to lose 2 pounds. I just make sure I have that 7000 calories deficit by the end of everyweek. So add up your burns over this next month. And then add up the calories you've consumed for the entire month. How much weight have you lost? I'll bet you find it to be pretty close.
  • DaddieCat
    Options
    Bshmerlie wrote: »
    When I first got my Fitbit I couldn't believe the burns either. But I started tracking it. I then verify those numbers with the actual weight I've lost. And it does work. As long as you know you are accurate with logging your food. It takes 7000 calories per week to lose 2 pounds. I just make sure I have that 7000 calories deficit by the end of everyweek. So add up your burns over this next month. And then add up the calories you've consumed for the entire month. How much weight have you lost? I'll bet you find it to be pretty close.

We all wish the math worked out this cleanly, but it doesn't. It might be close for you, but for other people it will not be nearly so clean. Weight loss is not linear for most people and straight math like this will not always yield the results that you've indicated.

Also, don't get me wrong, I'm a fitbit user too, and proudly wear my surge every day, but I guarantee that the calorie burn is not entirely accurate, either. If worn at the same time as my polar heart rate monitor during steady state cardio, the results are often very different.

I'm glad that it's working for you, and don't let my experience influence yours, but I just wanted to point out that it's not a fool proof system as every system is going to be different for every user and even fitbit is only an estimate based on an algorithm.
  • Bshmerlie
    Bshmerlie Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options

We all wish the math worked out this cleanly, but it doesn't. It might be close for you, but for other people it will not be nearly so clean. Weight loss is not linear for most people and straight math like this will not always yield the results that you've indicated.

Also, don't get me wrong, I'm a fitbit user too, and proudly wear my surge every day, but I guarantee that the calorie burn is not entirely accurate, either. If worn at the same time as my polar heart rate monitor during steady state cardio, the results are often very different.

I'm glad that it's working for you, and don't let my experience influence yours, but I just wanted to point out that it's not a fool proof system as every system is going to be different for every user and even fitbit is only an estimate based on an algorithm.

There are a lot of factors that will determine the success rate that I have suggested. First off you have to be spot on with your calories consumed. If you don't weigh, don't always log or pick the wrong entries that will drastically affect your results. Second, is the type of exercise you are doing. I'm walking on a treadmill at a consistent rate. Walking is probably the most accurate type of exercise for these activity monitors. There are going to be other activities that it could be way off on and you should probably get the type of device that would be the most accurate for your most common activity. But I have tracked my Fitbit for four months now and it is pretty spot on. Did I say 100% accurate?..NO....but pretty close. Since you already have the Fitbit do as I suggested. For one month add up all your Fitbit burns and add up everything you've consumed. Find out what it says is your deficit and then compare it to your actual weight lost. That will tell you how truly accurate it is.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options

There are a lot of factors that will determine the success rate that I have suggested. First off you have to be spot on with your calories consumed. If you don't weigh, don't always log or pick the wrong entries that will drastically affect your results. Second, is the type of exercise you are doing. I'm walking on a treadmill at a consistent rate. Walking is probably the most accurate type of exercise for these activity monitors. There are going to be other activities that it could be way off on and you should probably get the type of device that would be the most accurate for your most common activity. But I have tracked my Fitbit for four months now and it is pretty spot on. Did I say 100% accurate?..NO....but pretty close. Since you already have the Fitbit do as I suggested. For one month add up all your Fitbit burns and add up everything you've consumed. Find out what it says is your deficit and then compare it to your actual weight lost. That will tell you how truly accurate it is.

Firstly all calorie logging is subject to a margin of error (or around 20%) but absolutely it's the average loss over time that matters

I'm pretty near sure that when you walk the pedometer function takes over ...so really it's the same as wearing a zip of one

I have issues with the HRM versions of these pedometers, I think they're misleading marketing drivel tbh ...but I'd love to be convinced otherwise ...I love my fitbit (zip) and use a polar HRM (with chest strap) for specific workouts ...I agree that the fitbit is fairly accurate and I eat back all step based activity and have found it works

• Nikkei74
    Nikkei74 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Do you get the same variance if you set your MFP activity level higher?
  • drewcutting
    Options
    I will now be factoring in the 10% overestimation as room for error. I will also sign up for that weight trend site. I've been playing with MFP + my FitBit together for about a month now. I might as well keep the trial and error process going. I appreciate all of your responses. Any other tips would be greatly appreciated :)
  • atrayford2
    atrayford2 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Last week, I lost just over 4lbs and I track with the Fitbit Charge HR. That calculation is pretty close to what my calorie burn should have been to have lost those pounds.