In-progress pics: size 14 to size 10.

Options
FitRoberta
FitRoberta Posts: 73 Member
edited November 2015 in Success Stories
sx2m97v3jzpt.jpg

I'm feeling proud! In four months, I have lost about 25 pounds, and gone from a very tight US size 14 jeans, to a loose US size 10. I was probably a size 16 at the start, but I refused to buy bigger pants! That was my a-ha moment to get healthy again. I started seeing a nurse practitioner who specializes in healthy weight loss, because I needed to be held accountable. I know what to do, but I was having trouble doing it consistently.

Currently, I can get into size 8, but they're a still a little too tight to wear out of the house. ;) I am about 16 pounds from my goal weight, and honestly I don't mind if it takes me a year to get there, because not very much will change when I get to maintenance. I'll up my calories some, but this is my new lifestyle.

My lifestyle "program" --
FOOD: I eat very little sugar or refined carbs, and lots of fruit, veg, beans, whole grains, and tofu. My macros are set at 25% fat, 20% protein, 55% carbs. Fat sources are nuts, avocados, and some oil (olive, coconut, avocado oils). My carbs mostly come from whole foods like fruit, veggies, fruit, oatmeal, brown rice, quinoa, etc. Protein sources are plant-based: beans, tofu, tempeh, whole grains, veggies, etc. I do have treats almost daily, something like a mint-chocolate chip Tofutti Cutie or a glass of wine. Every week or two I take a meal "off" where I don't track my calories and just eat what I want, typically if I'm in a restaurant or if there is a special occasion.
EXERCISE: I move at least 30 minutes a day. "Rest" days are 30 minutes of yoga or walking the dog. Five or six days a week, I work out harder and/or longer: lifting weights, spin class, Hiit and Tabata, hiking. I eat back part of my exercise calories if I'm hungry for them, which I think is about half the time.

The most important lesson I've learned is to just keep going. Most of the weight on the scale came off in the first two months. Since then, my weight has only gone down a few pounds, but I have gotten a lot smaller. I credit weight lifting for this. NSV's mean so much - getting stronger, clothes getting looser, etc. are great reminders that progress is happening, whereas if I just paid attention to the scale I might despair.

Btw I'm vegan, but that's not related to losing weight, I've been vegan for years, and it's just as easy to be overweight as a vegan, as it is to eat right and be healthy.

Edited to add: I'm 47 years old, female, and have a sedentary job.

Replies

• eriven16
    eriven16 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Wonderful progress! You look great!
  • eliza8897
    eliza8897 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job!! Continued success. My weight loss journey has been very similar to yours, although I have an active job and not vegan. I will take some tips from you. Thanks
  • wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    good for you! It's nice to feel like you've accomplished something and even better when you have an excuse to go buy new clothes!
  • DMUND
    DMUND Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    You are an inspiration!!! Job well done!! Keep up the amazing work!
  • STACYINOC
    STACYINOC Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Great job!!!!
  • BekahC1980
    BekahC1980 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    wow way to go!
  • FitRoberta
    Options
    Thanks for the encouraging replies, everybody! It made my day!
  • Linseymout
    Linseymout Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Well done!!! You rock!
  • leecha2014
    leecha2014 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Congrats! What was your daily calorie goal? I'm vegan too :smiley:
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    Brilliant! Congrats on your loss. You are so smart in your approach to losing weight. Slow and steady loss is the way to go in my opinion.
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,290 Member
    Options
    Boy what fast progress..and I like you sharing that you got smaller even when the scale didn't move after those first two months. Thanks sharing your plan ..and you look great!
  • misterdale67
    misterdale67 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Great job. Congratulations on all the hard work.
  • Brooklyn2Bmore
    Brooklyn2Bmore Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Great job! Looking good!
  • 4PinkLady9
    4PinkLady9 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Way to go! Thank you for posting, these are always so inspirational and a great reminder to keep at it.
  • shara101
    shara101 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Awesome!! Well done :)
  • butterfli7o
    butterfli7o Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    You look awesome! This is what I'm looking to do...would love to just drop a few sizes!
  • madube84
    madube84 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Nice!! well done!
  • rebeccaEsmith
    rebeccaEsmith Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    Congrats keep up the good work
  • FitRoberta
    Options
    leecha2014 wrote: »
    Congrats! What was your daily calorie goal? I'm vegan too :smiley:

MFP set my calorie goal around 1600 initially. It's a little lower now that I weigh less. I'm 5'9" and started out weighing 194 lbs. I'm around 166 lbs. now. It bounces around in the high 160s lately. For a month it bounced around in the low 170s. I've gotten much better at not reading too much into the meaning of my weigh-ins, as long as the overall trajectory is downward. Easier said than done some days though!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!