Why I weigh daily

Options
2»

Replies

• MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I am still weighing daily, but I plan to transition soon to weekly. Once I hit my goal, then I'm hoping a weekly check-in will keep maintenance steady.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Both of these people are are not happy!

Maybe. But there are people who also weigh daily who say "I gained a pound since yesterday!" or "I gained 3 pounds since breakfast" and are absolutely depressed too. If you are going to weigh yourself as a measure of progress- no matter the frequency- you still need to understand that your weight (not just fat) will fluctuate from day-to-day or hour-to-hour.

I happily weigh weekly. That is as much information from the scale as I want.
    I understand that my weight will not go down every day or every week and I look at my weight over time. I don't think I'm not losing weight just because of the reading one week.

If weighing every day makes you happy and keeps you motivated that is a great.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    More data > less data
  • Asher_Ethan
    Asher_Ethan Posts: 2,430 Member
    Options
    257_Lag wrote: »
    I'm a daily weigher, for the same reasons, as well. What App is that (picture)?

It's an android app called Libra

Ahhhhh I was actually coming on here to ask what app the daily weighers use and you happened to post this. Thank you! I'm going to try and start weighing daily, It's such a mental game for me though because when I work hard and don't lose anything I get frustrated. But I also really like numbers and graphs so I better start to like weighing daily.

• sanjay_says
    sanjay_says Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer to weigh daily for the same reasons as the OP. One minor issue that I noticed with MFP is that if you fluctuate a lot (e.g. lose 1 pound, gain 1 pound, lose 1 pound, gain 1 pound) over the course of the week, MFP just keeps saying you lost 1lb every time on your timeline (even though your net loss is actually zero). Anyone know how to disable that since it's misleading?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I actually prefer to weigh daily for the same reasons as the OP. One minor issue that I noticed with MFP is that if you fluctuate a lot (e.g. lose 1 pound, gain 1 pound, lose 1 pound, gain 1 pound) over the course of the week, MFP just keeps saying you lost 1lb every time on your timeline (even though your net loss is actually zero). Anyone know how to disable that since it's misleading?

@sanjay_says just go here and uncheck "when I lose weight" : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/news_feed_settings

Of course, you won't get any pats on the back for you loss, but it can be very annoying when you basically stay the same but go up and down the same pound.
  • LilMissLisaC
    LilMissLisaC Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    How do you get it to show the actual weight spikes against the red line? Thanks x
  • lesliewynn14
    lesliewynn14 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily as well. It helps me to focus on my resolve to keep eating healthy and exercise. When I don't weigh in daily I go back to my old ways of overeating and not exercising. The discipline of daily weighing motivates me to do the right things for the day.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    How do you get it to show the actual weight spikes against the red line? Thanks x

The actual daily weight is the tips (high or low) of the vertical lines. The red line is your average over your chosen time frame. I prefer to set the Smoothing Days to 10 in Libra so a spike doesn't seem so extreme overall.
  • 257_Lag
    257_Lag Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

@sanjay_says just go here and uncheck "when I lose weight" : http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/news_feed_settings

Of course, you won't get any pats on the back for you loss, but it can be very annoying when you basically stay the same but go up and down the same pound.

Another option is to chart your daily weight in an app but only log new LOWS in MFP. That's what I do. I got tired of "likes" for the same pound over and over again.
  • daniwilford
    daniwilford Posts: 1,030 Member
    Options

Another option is to chart your daily weight in an app but only log new LOWS in MFP. That's what I do. I got tired of "likes" for the same pound over and over again.

I do this as well. I keep my daily weights in a excel spread sheet with other data. I love data! I can make many different graphs from that data including a trend line.
  • sanjay_says
    Options

Thanks! Hadn't seen that before.
  • sanjay_says
    Options

Thanks for the suggestion. I have a Fitbit Aria scale, so it automatically syncs to MFP. Maybe I'll just disable the auto-sync and do it manually once a week.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    I have been weighing 2x a day. First thing in the morning and then when I get home from work. My afternoon weights are consistently lower. I really like the idea of using Trendweight to see my overall trends it does help a lot when my numbers are bouncing up and down which they do a lot. Was only logging new lows though and I think it is maybe better to be able to log every day regardless to get the real picture. So I was glad to see this thread and the tip on disabling the feed update every time you drop the same pound in a week. I don't want to have friends get discouraged or jealous of constant phantom weight loss posts.
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options

I do the same log daily on happy scale then only losses on MFP on Mondays but I do post on Mondays if I gained so I'm holding myself accountable for any miss steps
  • Kaylinerst3663
    Kaylinerst3663 Posts: 33 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I weigh daily as well! I love all the information I get from it.

I use this site called weightcommander.com to track everything. It helps me set 30 day goals, tracks my daily fluctuations, allows me to see weekly weigh-ins (ex. what I have weighed every monday I have been tracking), as well as average eight by week, etc. Its done the best job of helping me crunch all my numbers and see the real progress I am making week to week.