Any way to cover the sour taste in yogurt?

Options
I bought some yorgurt. I really hate yogurt. I need protein. I'm a vegetarian. Is there anything I can add to make it taste less sour? I don't mind the taste of this one (Danon Light & Fit GREEK Banana Cream) but it has that nasty sour aftertaste. I can literally only take bites about as big as a dime at a time or I want to puke from the sour aftertaste. What kind of toppings would help? Graham grumbles? Cookie? Granola? I'm considering fresh banana, but sometimes I have kind of allergic reactions to it. lol.

Replies

• queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Splenda or honey
  • Verity1111
    Verity1111 Posts: 3,309 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Splenda or honey

Honey sounds interesting. I hate the taste of splenda too. lol. Any type of "fake" sugar. I can't stand it. Like diet soda. Awful. I could definitely try honey though. Thank you. :)
  • bclarke1990
    bclarke1990 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    You probably don't need nearly as much protein as you think. The fitness industry has convinced the majority that you need ridiculous amounts of protein to get and maintain muscle (people taking more than 1g per lbs of total body weight for example). I'm a 150 lbs vegan male and I usually end up between 70 and 100 just from oatmeal, beans, rice and veggies.

This isn't to say you can't eat dairy or yogurt, but if you don't like it don't force yourself to eat it because you think eating twice as much protein as carbs is healthy.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    You probably don't need nearly as much protein as you think. The fitness industry has convinced the majority that you need ridiculous amounts of protein to get and maintain muscle (people taking more than 1g per lbs of total body weight for example). I'm a 150 lbs vegan male and I usually end up between 70 and 100 just from oatmeal, beans, rice and veggies.

This isn't to say you can't eat dairy or yogurt, but if you don't like it don't force yourself to eat it because you think eating twice as much protein as carbs is healthy.

I barely can hit 60g lately. I don't eat oatmeal I rarely eat beans and rice. I don't get a lot of protein. I should start eating more rice and beans. I like them, I just can't be bothered to cook too many complex meals for myself because I already need to cook for my 3 year old who has sensory issues separate from my other two kids and sometimes I make something for my partner too and he's the only non vegetarian so we all eat different meals. I was going to yogurt because it is low calorie and I'm on a deficit right now. Otherwise, I'd go to higher calorie foods with decent protein levels.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    Full fat yogurt is buttery not sour. I find fat free yogurt is pretty sour. Full fat is very rich and creamy.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with fruit (I had a Yoplait Greek 100 calories, peach flavored this morning...yummy).
  • Owlfan88
    Owlfan88 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Maybe try some different brands or flavors of yogurt. I think the light and fit has artificial sugars in it. Not sure, but I don't like artificial sugars either and I know I don't buy the light and fit for some reason. So check that - you may be noticing that taste. I find the mixed berry types of Greek yogurt pretty sweet. I can cut them 1/3 flavored yogurt, 2/3 plain and find it still palatable. Fresh fruit is also nice in it.
  • jhenan
    jhenan Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Have you tried adding instant pudding to yogurt it would taste like the flavor of the puddingthat you mixed in
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt with honey or All Fruit (kind of like jam) and granola is delicious.

If you hate it though, don't eat it. A protein shake with fruit will give you a nice dose.
  • justvclark
    justvclark Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Put it in a smoothie? That's the only time I don't notice the sour taste. Just some fruit, milk, yogurt, and ice. I don't mind it as much when I eat my son's Simply Gogurt tubes (not the regular kind, but the kind without artificial flavors or corn syrup) as much either.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Full fat yogurt is buttery not sour. I find fat free yogurt is pretty sour. Full fat is very rich and creamy.

It all tastes sour to me lol the only kind I ever liked were yoplait whipped orange cream but theyre not vegetarian.
  • Verity1111
    Options
    jhenan wrote: »
    Have you tried adding instant pudding to yogurt it would taste like the flavor of the puddingthat you mixed in

THIS is a good idea...maybe I should try that lol
  • Verity1111
    Options
    Thank you all for all the ideas. I just bought 3 kinds and I've tried two so far and didn't like them. The other one was something with "blood orange" and I took one bite and was just like "Oh no." lol
  • abbyoncloud9
    abbyoncloud9 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If you are eating a good variety of beans and veggies, there's no need to have yogurt in your diet just to get enough protein. But, if you insist, the regular yogurts are not as sour. Greek has become all the rage lately and it is definitely more sour
  • blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    I find that greek yogurt is a lot less sour, and has more protein. Look for a flavoured one. Here we can buy honey flavoured "Flavour of the Gods" or something like that, or a maple flavoured one, both yum, or my favourite, caramel banana.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    First, if you have a choice, check production date - the fresher the yoghurt is, the less sour the taste, it changes with time.
    The simplest things to add to yoghurt are fruit, fresh or in syrup, honey and nuts (or any combination of these).
    And you can use yoghurt in smoothies.
    You can also make a simple and low calorie dessert out of eat, by mixing it with jello: prepare jello with only half the water, replace other half with yoghurt and let it cool in the fridge. The result is a cross between pudding and jello.
    Also plain yoghurt can be used in cooking and baking, instead of milk or cream.
    You can also add salt and any herbs you like to plain yoghurt and use it as a dip or dressing.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Full fat Fage is the least sour, to me it's very creamy & no tangyness at all.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I have never been a yogurt fan. I prefer to get my protein from legumes and cheeses.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    uzoylgnpvvgz.jpg

I had this last night, and it was delicious. Its a sweet creamy cheese that's eaten like a yogurt. 10g of protein! :) There are about 7 flavors, but I had vanilla and it was quite tasty!
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I drizzle honey over my yogurt.