trying to get back on track.. help

Options
I was doing really good. Then things got so busy, that im having a hard time getting my workouts in. The summer months are here and that means kids have lots of games, lake time, also beer time on the water. So i really need those extra calories. But not much time to get a workout in. I haven't gained anything. But not losing anything ..
Any ideas.

Replies

• kr3851
    kr3851 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Kids have games? Like baseball or basketball or some other sport where you're watching them run up and down or around? Why not walk around the perimeter of the pitch/court/area. You won't burn HEAPS like a high intensity workout, but you'll burn more than if you were sitting on your butt for an hour.

Lake time? Is it deep enough to tread water? You can watch the kids safely while doing this - and get to them if you need to in a hurry. Some of my fondest memories with my Dad were when we got our pool and he would chuck us around and chase us in the water and stuff - he is a big guy and I can't imagine it wasn't a workout for him!

Beer time? Nice icy cold water time don't you mean?

Workouts don't have to mean sweating up a storm in a gym. Use the weather to get out there and enjoy your kids. It's winter in Australia at the moment and it's bloody freezing - I'd kill for a bike ride where my hands aren't freezing off trying to hold the handlebars!
  • AKAnderson785
    Options
    Activities with your kids like games (just like kr3851 said) is a perfect way to get some exercise in not only for you, but your kids as well. You can set a good example by teaching them exercise can be fun, not work. Go on bike rides, you said lake days - take them swimming. If you have a Wii, they have some pretty intense games!

I understand the 'beer lake days,' I have those coming on now too. What i try to do is have a beer (Mich Ulta or another light beer would be ideal) and have a water inbetween. That way you're cutting calories and you won't have too much to drink.

Any little thing you're doing at home, you can add exercise to. Cooking dinner - do calf raises at the stove. Walking to the mail box - lunge your way there and back, etc. Good Luck!!
  • CarolynB38
    CarolynB38 Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Kids have games? Like baseball or basketball or some other sport where you're watching them run up and down or around? Why not walk around the perimeter of the pitch/court/area. You won't burn HEAPS like a high intensity workout, but you'll burn more than if you were sitting on your butt for an hour.

Lake time? Is it deep enough to tread water? You can watch the kids safely while doing this - and get to them if you need to in a hurry. Some of my fondest memories with my Dad were when we got our pool and he would chuck us around and chase us in the water and stuff - he is a big guy and I can't imagine it wasn't a workout for him!

Beer time? Nice icy cold water time don't you mean?

Workouts don't have to mean sweating up a storm in a gym. Use the weather to get out there and enjoy your kids. It's winter in Australia at the moment and it's bloody freezing - I'd kill for a bike ride where my hands aren't freezing off trying to hold the handlebars!

I love the way you've turned everything into a positive. I know where to come if I need motivating :happy:
  • ljbarna
    ljbarna Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    When I have the kids all home in the summer it is definitely more difficult, but there are things you can do. Take a family walk, go for a bike ride. If I need to get in a run I have the kids ride their bikes while I run. If you are at the lake try swimming some "laps" while the kids are in the water. Jumprope with the kids--play a game of tag...plenty of things to do with the kids instead of just watching them. There is also always a way to get in some ab work or pushups--air squats etc.

I know it's tough--I have 4 kids myself--As I am typing this to you I am reminding myself that it can be done, you just have to be creative.

Good luck and enjoy your summer!!
  • Melissaol
    Melissaol Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I have a 13 year old and run a daycare.