Mr Sleek 2015 (187lb down and keeping it off) :-)

zezelryck
zezelryck Posts: 251 Member
I have posted on here before so some of you may have seen a few of these pictures for that I apologise.

Just to fill you in here is a brief history.

I was born with a heart condition called tetralogy of Fallot and at the age of 2 I had life saving open heart surgery. That was back in 1970. Anyhow the years flew by until around the mid 2000's when I started having health issues. Eating badly, smoking and drinking copious amounts of alcohol didn't help my rapidly increasing weight. In 2010 I ended up back in hospital where I spent 29 nights. I found out I had type 2 diabetes, sleep apnea, gout, arthritis and worst of all congenital heart failure.

Weighing in at 19½st (273lb) I was told I needed open heart surgery again but they couldn't operate on me as I was too big. The advice was to go home and lose some weight, I was given a big bag full of drugs and was told I would have to keep going back to hospital to monitor my progress.

On July 13th 2012 I quit smoking and drinking alcohol on the same day. This was probably no mean feat thinking about it, as I was both a heavy smoker and drinker, but I managed it. Early 2013 I made one of my regular visits to the cardiology department weighing in at 23½st (329lb). My cardiologist was frank enough to tell me if I didn't sort myself out I would be dead within 5 years. I ignored his advice right up until May 2013 when I awoke one morning suffering another gout attack (if you have never had gout let me say in my opinion it is the most painful thing I have ever experienced), It was then I decided that if I was to live a relatively long pain free life I needed to sort my weight out.

I joined a slimming group 30th May 2013: starting weight 329lb. By the time I had lost around 7st (98lb) the gout had gone and when I had my yearly HBA1C I was told I no longer had diabetes and was taken off all medication (Metformin and Gliclazide) for it. A few months later I had hit my target of 15st (210lb) the heart consultant had set for me before they would consider me for open heart surgery and plans where set up for the operation to go ahead. One year after joining my slimming group I had gone from 23½st (329lb) down to 12st5lb (173lb).

August 2014 I went into hospital and had open heart surgery for the second time in my life. I had a new biological valve to replace my right ventrical valve and they also corrected a problem with my triscupid valve. I was also taken off the plethora of drugs I was still taking right up to the day before surgery. By January 2015 I was down to 10st (140lb) and have been maintaining between 140 and 145lb ever since.

Nowadays I keep myself relatively fit and active. I use a fitbit and almost everyday clock up in excess of 15,000 steps and I also run a 5k ParkRun every Saturday morning (I have managed 21 up to now).

I still attend my slimming group every week and I guess I probably will for a long time to come as I consider it part of support network. Each year they give out awards; man or woman of the year, biggest loser of the year, couple of the year and tonight they gave out Mr Sleek and Miss Slinky awards. Tonight I was awarded Mr sleek 2015 by my group: NSV :-)

I get asked many times how I keep motivated. The truth is I have found my life again, I walk around with a big grin on my face happy as Larry knowing what I have achieved. Happiness is my motivation.

I'm always looking for genuine MFP buddies (no friend collectors plz). If you fit the bill send me a FR.

Here are a few pictures of my progress (sorry if you have seen them before). The last one was taken tonight with my Mr Sleek 2015 award :smiley:

1_zpsb7580e92.jpg

This is probably me at my biggest around 24st (336lb)

DSCF0006_zpse1143420.jpg

Enjoying a family BBQ

4_zps91e2afec.jpg

10st (140lb) down

12_zps2bcaa789.jpg

Post-op selfie lol

17_zpsaeb16473.jpg

A few months after surgery

0124_zpsgdvrabrn.jpg

Taken by a park run photographer

11988594_10153231931842523_3845054479668610204_n_zpsonly0pgz.jpg

October 2015

20151025_151538_zpssqucvgm2.jpg

Mr Sleek 2015 lol :-)

20151104_181217_zpsph4i2j2e.jpg

Replies

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!