Stupid questions from blood pressure cuff reading at the house - battery one?

Options
catscats222
catscats222 Posts: 1,598 Member
edited November 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I know systolic is the top one
Then diastolic
Then - that third one is my resting blood rate?
Is that what it's called?
They told me it was high at 92.
I do not know what to google to see if that is normal or not.
I think I am calling it the wrong thing.
Blood heart rate? I just realized it could be called pulse?
What can I google to see if 92 is that bad?
Better yet, a site that can tell me. A link?
My systolic and diastolic were ok - just that third number off to the right and bottom
I don't exercise at all. But I have been eating very well.

Replies

• dwick1017
    dwick1017 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    It is really hard to tell what you are talking about. It could be your heart rate... if that is the case 92 is high but there are a lot of factors that play into that.
  • ariana_eatsandlifts
    Options
    I would bet it's either your pulse or mean arterial pressure.
  • kmblank
    kmblank Posts: 43 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    It's your heart rate...92 is on the high of normal. Average Resting HR for an adult is 60-100. I wouldn't worry to much about it...if you want...first thing in the morning, before you even get out of bed take your pulse for 15 sec. and times it by 4. That will give you a true resting HR.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    The third number is usually the pulse at the moment you measure it, according to most of the pressure cuffs I've used (have not idea what else it could mean though). So if you measure your blood pressure while you're in resting state (standing, sitting, lying down), that's your resting pulse. However, I found a slight discrepancy between the wrist type and the sleeve type (also an experience from those I've used) and the number could be off compared to the manually measured one. The method that @kmblank provided is a good way to see if a concern is necessary (I'd up the measuring time to 30 sec if you're not familiar with how to measure it).
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Resting Heart Rate. Your pulse. As I run I have seen my resting heart rate steadily decline. Heart - Cardio - get it? A more efficient heart.

You can get spikes in heart rate from attraction, anxiety, and exercise. Be still my beating heart.

To either calm yourself down or to further stress you out, take a few readings at once.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Cardio will do wonders for your heart rate. 90 is a bit high, yeah. Also make sure you always measure blood pressure when you're calm and have been sitting a bit, because movement will raise it to an extent.

Doing about 12 weeks now of HIIT has dropped my resting heart rate to the mid 50s.
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Normal blood pressure ranges are 100-139/60-89 and normal pulse ranges are 60-100.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Resting Heart Rate. Your pulse. As I run I have seen my resting heart rate steadily decline. Heart - Cardio - get it? A more efficient heart.

You can get spikes in heart rate from attraction, anxiety, and exercise. Be still my beating heart.

To either calm yourself down or to further stress you out, take a few readings at once.

Exactly up to 100 BPM is normal. As someone who had tachycardia(resting heart rate greater than 100) in May, it's not pleasant. As long as your heart is healthy they really don't do much in my experience. A couple things I learned:
    1. Make sure you're well hydrated
    2. You should rest for 5 minutes before taking your heart rate
    3. Potassium make sure your getting a good amount
    4. Avoid caffeine
    5. There are medications they can give you, IMO last resort

As I lost weight and started walking my resting heart rate lowered. Good luck.