ladies.. does your period affect your strength when weight training?

Options
2»

Replies

• diyadiamonds
    diyadiamonds Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies! I think it may of been down to the lack of sleep as I got plenty last night on my way to the gym now and feeling very full of energy!!
  • diyadiamonds
    diyadiamonds Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    jemhh wrote: »
    lisalsd1 wrote: »
    Check t-nation; I read an article about ladies' cycles/hormones and lifting. I find that if I don't feel so great when I get to the gym, usually once I start working out I feel better (takes a bit of time).

If you are in agonizing pain to the point you can't sleep; you should probably see a gyn.

I have that article linked in my profile.

It happens to me a couple times a year. Mostly I get the dip in strength right after ovulation. Leading up to it, I'm stronger than ever after and then there's a decrease as soon as I ovulate. It's not always enough to be problematic but when it happens it comes out of the blue and is a bit maddening because I'll suddenly struggle to lift something that was manageable just two days before.

Here's are two articles that go over this:

* http://www.optimumh.co.uk/influence-of-menstrual-cycle-on-strength-training-and-timing/
    * https://www.t-nation.com/training/hormone-cycle-and-female-lifters

The t-nation article was very interesting and this linked one is hilarious: 10 Mistakes Women Make in the Gym

Girl that article had me In stitches ! Hahaha
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options
    For most of my life my period was no big deal, but now that I have a big fibroid, which causes excessive bleeding, I am debilitated by my periods. Today is Day 3 and I did get a good night's sleep, but am tired from the blood loss of the previous days. I was slightly less strong in the gym today. On the plus side, the exercise high kicked in during only my second set, as opposed to the last set when it usually kicks in.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I have endometriosis so my periods are pretty debilitating. I usually just take that week as a rest week and don't do weights until it's over. I will do some cardio or body weight stuff if I'm up for it because it does help but I usually have one day that's me and my couch doing some serious bonding.