Headaches....

Options
Since I started my diet ive had constant migraines... Is it from the change in diet?! Did anybody else experience this?!

Replies

• bjmk19047
    bjmk19047 Posts: 123
    Options
    I suffer from them anyway but yes for you it is probably from the dieting. Your body is doing something its not used to and is protesting. Excedrine Migraine if you want something OTC or for a more holistic approach you can try the ice cream method -- take a spoonful of ice cream and put it on the roof of your mouth (effectively giving yourself "brain freeze") and the migraine *sometimes* goes away!
  • amandakay3000
    Options
    Yes! I did have the exact same problem. I assumed it was because i went from eating and outrageous number of calories to 1200 a day. After i adjusted to the lifestyle change, i felt fine.
  • katiebeebe
    Options
    I have the same problem!! I think mine is from the cut in calories and im trying to quit drinking soda.....which isnt going so well. I was at the store yesterday and had the WORST headache so I grabbed a soda and in like 15 min my headache was gone. But if you are just eating less, that could be why you have a headache.. im sure after a week or so your body will be used to it and they should go away. Hope they get better!!
  • applebug20
    applebug20 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    If you've gone off caffeine to make sure you are under your calorie goal - that might be why you are struggling with migraines and headaches. I get migraines, and usually when I have one - all I want is a soda. Even thought I have gone off caffeine for weeks - months at a time - my body seems to crave a soda. My husband has gone off the caffeine with me (and is doing MFP) and he found that he was getting more constant headaches/migraines at first. When he is feeling that way, I usually get him a 20 oz soda to see if we can take the edge off of the pain he is feeling. Though I've noticed the last week - 2 weeks, he's been more headache free - so it might just be a gradual thing. Also, make sure you are drinking your full 8 glasses of water every day! Staying hydrated will keep you from having as many headaches because your body won't be starving of water. Keep a large water bottle or large favorite glass near you at all times and just reach for it until it becomes a habbit you won't be able to stop. I now CRAVE water and can easily go way over my 8 glasses of water each day! Hope you feel better soon.!
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    you may want to check your blood pressure as well, I had a severe drop in BP when I started dieting due to me eating less sodium and had really horrible headaches, fainting spells, and dizziness for a couple of weeks. I just had to make sure I was eating my daily amt of sodium. I have migraines anyway and am on several meds daily just to keep them away but it was worse when i just started.
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    If you cut out something you were used to having daily, you are going through withdrawal. It'll get better.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I suffer from them anyway but yes for you it is probably from the dieting. Your body is doing something its not used to and is protesting. Excedrine Migraine if you want something OTC or for a more holistic approach you can try the ice cream method -- take a spoonful of ice cream and put it on the roof of your mouth (effectively giving yourself "brain freeze") and the migraine *sometimes* goes away!

Ice cream headache...what an interesting idea!!!!!

I'm prone to headaches & migraines anyway... I find that drinking electrolytes helps- so smart water or gatorade.
    Also, this might sound weird, but pinch (pretty hard) the skin about 1/2 inch up between your thumb and pointer finger on one of your hands. Hold for a few minutes and it will relieve the throbbing for a short time.
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    oh yes! Headaches are the primary withdrawl symptom of going sans caffeine! It can take up to a month for your body to adjust!
  • Hopie17
    Hopie17 Posts: 53
    Options
    u might not be eating enough or not eating enough protien. try eating small ammounts throughout the day. u won't have migraines and it'll speed up your metabolism to lose weight!
  • Hopie17
    Hopie17 Posts: 53
    Options
    oh, ya don't forget about caffiene!
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I used to get migraines ALOT until I went off caffeine. I went back on caffeine now that I have 2 babies and I don't get much sleep, but I find that if I take something OTC at the ONSET of pain I can usually stop it before it becomes a migraine. I also will take phenergan (a prescription from your doctor) if it does get bad and it puts me to sleep so I can sleep off the headache. I have also used ice on my neck. I just put it in a freezer bag and it actually helps. (THis was a suggestion from a flight attendant when I asked for a airsick bag b/c I had a migraine.)
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    One more thought. Have you added artificial sweetners, like splenda, recently? That could cause headaches too.
  • Becky1971
    Becky1971 Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    Withdrawing from sugar, and fast food or processed foods can do it too.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Sooo reading all your posts, thank you for the input and advice. I have recently given up soda but i wasnt an avid soda drinker anyways,... maybe 1 a week. I have given up all sweets, not added any artificial & completely given up meat. Soo its a MAJOR change for my body. Hopefully these headaches subside soon. Blah.