Dash diet.

Options
does anyone know anything about this? My husband is thinking about trying it and wants me to join him for support. He has a bmi of 31. Mine is 28.

I am happy with my size at the moment despite the fact that I'm still classified as overweight I am a Uk 12 which is where I want to be. And I had a baby 3 months ago and am at my pre pregnancy weight.

I can't find much online about the dash diet. I found some meal plans but they look very bland, regimented and very high in calories. To get to the weight I am now I just counted calories on here but it did make me obsessed and it was quite slow so I'm not sure what to do. because of the calories in the dash plan I saw I'm worried I might support my husband and end up gaining weight.

Any success stories?

Any better online resources or should we just buy the book?

Replies

• melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    Maybe try cooking dash style meals, while also counting calories.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    The DASH diet is not really a weight loss plan. It is usually reccomended by physicians to lower blood pressure. It literally stands for "dietary approach to stop hypertension."
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    The DASH diet is not really a weight loss plan. It is usually reccomended by physicians to lower blood pressure. It literally stands for "dietary approach to stop hypertension."

^^ This. Count calories while making DASH diet meals. http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/recipes/dash-diet-recipes/rcs-20077146 Mayo clinic has a list of DASH friendly recipes.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I just cook my own low sodium meals. That's all it really is. Oh, and higher fibre.
    So use bold seasonings (sweet/spicy/savoury) in place of table salt and up the fibre in your meals. 30 minutes of cardio per day will lower blood pressure, but the number one way is to not be over weight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Why don't you just eat at a deficit?
  • mrsnecincy
    mrsnecincy Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I was trying to avoid that melimom since I already use low calorie recipes like ww, sw and hairy dieters this just feels like another way of counting things which I don't really want to do.

He does have high blood pressure but hasn't been officially diagnosed. Mine is ok. I also think it looks like it has quite a lot of wholegrains which I do include some of but not to that extent.

I don't particularly want to follow any specific plan I think that's the problem.
  • FredDoyle
    edited January 2015
    Options
    mrsnecincy wrote: »
    I was trying to avoid that melimom since I already use low calorie recipes like ww, sw and hairy dieters this just feels like another way of counting things which I don't really want to do.

He does have high blood pressure but hasn't been officially diagnosed. Mine is ok. I also think it looks like it has quite a lot of wholegrains which I do include some of but not to that extent.

I don't particularly want to follow any specific plan I think that's the problem.

The whole grains are for fibre. If you don't like whole grains eat high fibre veg and fruits.
    You can also add psyllium husk (from the bulk store) to things. Squash, berries even potatoes have lots of fibre (leave the skins on). Buy no salt added broths and canned veggies (or frozen) and make your own stuff.
    Beans and lentils are also good for this.
    Just sub spices for the salt. Your palate does adjust in a few weeks. I was a salt monster and now most things are too salty to my taste.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »

There is a DASH plan for weight loss as well.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    First find out if your husband has to do that diet, if yes, then to what extent you should eat the same as him just for support. There are several ways to support others.
  • mrsnecincy
    Options
    I am eating at a deficit now and I am at my personal goal we don't add salt to anything and eat fruit and veg at nearly every meal so it sounds like we're pretty much there anyway.

I think my point is that my husband would lose weight anyway by cutting out bread with dinner and lowering the alcohol consumption. I don't think we're going to get much out of following a plan that isn't much different from how I cook anyway except I'm going to get bored by it.
  • FredDoyle
    Options
    I am eating at a deficit now and I am at my personal goal we don't add salt to anything and eat fruit and veg at nearly every meal so it sounds like we're pretty much there anyway.

I think my point is that my husband would lose weight anyway by cutting out bread with dinner and lowering the alcohol consumption. I don't think we're going to get much out of following a plan that isn't much different from how I cook anyway except I'm going to get bored by it.

I don't understand how you are getting bored when you can have everything you want, just using low sodium versions...
    I even make my own bread products with less salt, although you need some to inhibit the yeast to get the right consistency.
    If he eats at a deficit, he'll lose.
  • rmyers121
    rmyers121 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I just purchase the Dash Diet Book and the Dash Diet Weight Loss Book. Both books provide a 28 day meal plan which provide a wide variety of heart healthy meals and snacks. I am someone who struggles with putting together meals that are healthy and that my family will enjoy. My husband is a meat and potatoes guy who doesn't need to loose any weight. Even he was impressed with the meal options. I have found these books to be very helpful. There are shopping lists in the back of each book. I took the book to the store with me so I wouldn't forget anything. Best part is you dont have to buy expensive "diet food". I purchased everything for my family for the next 2 weeks at the store last night and did not spend more than I normally would on 2 weeks worth of groceries. I would be more than happy to scan and email a couple pages of the book to you if you would like to see what the meal plans look like.
  • mrsnecincy
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to chat to my husband again. Looking at it I think we eat well anyway and I don't think he realises it's a specific plan and specific shopping lists etc.

We don't shop regularly, we eat what's fresh and what's on offer and I cook from that and then count the calories so It means a change in routine for us and I'm not sure we'd get enough out of it doing that. He just thought it looked like a good option because it's been in the press for being the best diet.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    The hubs and I are going to be following Marla Heller's newest Dash book: Dash Diet Younger You. It's still based off the original dash diet but limits red meat. It's more plant-based. There are meal plans for vegetarians and non-vegetarians. This book is basically suggesting cleaner eating with less processed foods and artificial stuff.

I don't think you HAVE to follow the meal plans. I think of them as more of "suggestions". The basis is to follow the food groups that are suggested.

The USDA's MyPlate was based off the original DASH diet.
  • susieq727
    Options
    does anyone know anything about this? My husband is thinking about trying it and wants me to join him for support. He has a bmi of 31. Mine is 28.

I am happy with my size at the moment despite the fact that I'm still classified as overweight I am a Uk 12 which is where I want to be. And I had a baby 3 months ago and am at my pre pregnancy weight.

I can't find much online about the dash diet. I found some meal plans but they look very bland, regimented and very high in calories. To get to the weight I am now I just counted calories on here but it did make me obsessed and it was quite slow so I'm not sure what to do. because of the calories in the dash plan I saw I'm worried I might support my husband and end up gaining weight.

Any success stories?

Any better online resources or should we just buy the book?

My husband and I have started the DASH diet, and we don't have any hypertension problems, just want to lose some weight and eat an overall clean diet. I read the book, and have the cookbook. The first phase lasts 2 weeks, and it's the most restrictive when it comes to consuming starches, but as with most low carb diets, the weight has come off much faster. Phase 2, fruits and more starches are reintroduced.
    This diet doesn't really count calories. You just measure your proteins and try to eat as many veggies as you can. I have not found this to be high in calories, but I am very conscious of what I'm preparing. I'm also a vegetarian, but I do eat fish and some dairy, which I find a lot of diets are hard to follow when you don't eat red meat etc.
    I would get the book, I got the Kindle edition, and the actual cookbook. We have been steadily loosing weight, and I've almost reached my goal. This diet is not as much of a "diet", it truly has been a lifestyle change for us. I've also gotten into the habit of meal prepping, which has made our lives much easier!
  • MamaGab92
    MamaGab92 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My husband and I started the DASH diet for Weight Loss yesterday. We both have high blood pressure (I haven't officially been diagnosed but he has). His doctor said his first priority is to lose weight. We both have about 40 lbs. to lose. We are in Phase 1 right now (two weeks). I am really curious to see how it goes for each of us. We started off by weighing ourselves, measuring our waists, and taking our blood pressure. We'll see what those measurements are in two weeks.
  • Holla4mom
    Holla4mom Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are starting the Mayo
    Clinic diet which I understand to be very similar. It does focus more on being able to see and recognize servings over time and focusing on fruits/ vegetables for much more of your food in order to reduce overall calories. I will see how it goes and am excited to try it. Good luck with whatever you and your husband decides to do. It's great to have support.
  • Theotherlori
    Theotherlori Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are baby-stepping our way into the DASH diet. Our blood pressures are in the "elevated" range. Both of our mothers had high BP which lead to their deaths. My mom never took her BP meds, ate a lot of processed food, never exercised, her weight was normal but the high BP lead to heart failure. My mother-in-law took pill upon pill for her high BP, ate a lot of processed food, never exercised and was very over-weight. She died suddenly of a stroke. Unfortunately a lot of how my husband & I eat and exercise we learned from our mothers. We're trying to make some pretty big changes here. My weight is on the high-end of normal, BMI 24. I'd like to be more in the midrange. My husband is overweight with a BMI around 30. Good luck to every DASH dieter out there! Living longer is worth the effort.
  • KimberlyinMN
    KimberlyinMN Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Okay, so... my hubs wouldn't even read the book. And... I decided Marla's DASH Diet Weight Loss Solution book fit with my eating style better. He's going to read the Kindle version of the book and we are going to be incorporating this into our lifestyle. (Being able to have wine occasionally is a plus for me.) LOL

There are Facebook groups moderated by Marla for both of her latest books (Weight Loss Solutions and Younger You) that are quite active.

There is also a cookbook titled "The Everyday DASH Diet Cookbook".
    kimbernada wrote: »
    The hubs and I are going to be following Marla Heller's newest Dash book: Dash Diet Younger You. It's still based off the original dash diet but limits red meat. It's more plant-based. There are meal plans for vegetarians and non-vegetarians. This book is basically suggesting cleaner eating with less processed foods and artificial stuff.

I don't think you HAVE to follow the meal plans. I think of them as more of "suggestions". The basis is to follow the food groups that are suggested.

The USDA's MyPlate was based off the original DASH diet.