Help with Side Lunges

Options
I'm having a really hard time with side lunges. When I first tried them a few days ago, I pretty much fell over. I couldn't even do them holding onto a table in front of me--I finally figured out the balance after reaching back and holding onto something behind me. Now, they still feel awkward, but I've got the basic movement pattern and don't have to hold onto anything. My problem now is that I lean very far forward if I go as low as instructed (bottom of thigh parallel to floor). If I don't go that low, I can do them with a normal amount of leaning.

I should note my knees stay behind my toes the whole time. I'm still quite weak and side lunges are definitely challenging.

Any ideas as to why I'm leaning so far forward? Is it because of lack of strength and/or flexibility? Should I only go as low as I can without leaning or go all the way to parallel even though I lean? Is it acceptable form to lean so much if I don't see any improvement after a while?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,485 Member
    Options
    Form is needed to prevent injury. Work you way to parallel once you have correct form.
    I would think you are leaning forward because of balance issues. This could be due to a weak core; lack if stabilisation.
    Go slow, do fewer, focus on form.

Cheers, h.
  • dwick1017
    dwick1017 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    You have to lean forward in some exercises based on physics. During a side lunge your butt has to go backwards which cause your upper body to lean forward for balance.
  • _benjammin
    _benjammin Posts: 1,224 Member
    Options
    I think depth would be more beneficial than worrying about torso angle. Improved hip and ankle mobility may assist both. Knees over toes should be no concern, it's an "old wive's tale". Your knee should track in line with your foot, don't let your knee go left or right of your foot.
  • IILikeToMoveItMoveIt
    IILikeToMoveItMoveIt Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Maybe build up your core a bit. Ten lb weight n circles over your head, stuff like that. I think it will help.
  • Jen58473
    Jen58473 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions!