Flat Belly Diet

Options
Since I've been on this whole diet thing I wanted to know if anyone else has used this Diet and if so whats their success?

Any suggestions would help! :happy:

Replies

• Joanne4494
    Joanne4494 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Might be a daft question but whats the flat belly diet? :smile:
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I've been following the principles a little bit and have one of the cookbooks, which the most important part is keeping meals to 400 calories or less and using fresh, whole foods. I have lost 23 pounds since Christmas time which is when I got the cookbook. 20 pounds since joining MFP :)
  • kateq321
    kateq321 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I never heard of it but I just put it into google and had a quick look. It's doable but the problem with all these quick fixes is that the minute you return to eating any way normal the pounds just pile back on.

I don't know but I'd also be interested to hear from anybody who has done it and what their thoughts are on it.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    This is sort of what I did to lose all my weight. I started on here and ignored MFP's calorie suggestions, just aiming for 1600 per day regardless of how many calories I burned working out. I ate some form of MUFA with every meal and drank tons of water (regular, not the sassy water stuff-that got to be a pain for me). I upped the intensity and difficulty of my workouts. Here's my problem now. I've hit my goal weight and am having a hard time finding the right balance of calories to maintain it. I've started following MFP's calorie suggestions and eating back my exercise calories especially since I'm lifting heavier now but I've put back on 3 lbs. Is it muscle? Is it water? Is it fat? I don't know. My clothes still fit, friends (good friends) tell me not to lose any more, I do still have serious toning to do but the calorie thing is worrisome. So, the Flat Belly Diet does work but I actually think what worked better was keeping track of what I ate and how much I ate and you can do that with any eating plan. I also want to say that I still tend to follow the underlying principals of eating a balanced healthy diet with good fat every time I eat something.
  • Laurenbaseball29
    Options
    Its a diet and cookbook that is made from Prevention mag. Go to Amazon and search Flat Belly Diet
  • Laurenbaseball29
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions! I think I will stick to MFP but use the cook book for ideas!
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    i just started the 4 day jumpstart from the book. I thought I would be hungry but I am not. in 1 day I lost 2.2 pounds. I like the book because it has the 400 calorie meals in it and I think it will be better for me because I have a difficult time with maintaining variety and choosing the right foods.
  • tladame
    tladame Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I started the Flat Belly Diet at the end of February. I lost 5 pounds the first month, and have lost 11 pounds total since starting. I've continued eating the meals in the book because they're easy and all are around 400 calories each (so I'm around 1600 calories each day). I don't really see it as a "diet" but more as a different way of eating. You're not restricting food, and the MUFAs (healthy fats) really make the meals satisfying. Just today I had the cherry-chocolate waffle for breakfast, which puts me in a GREAT mood!

The basic jist of it is eating four 400-calorie meals a day, and including a MUFA in each one. The first 4 days (the anti-bloat jump start) is a bit of a challenge at 1200 calories per day, but it goes by fast & you will love the initial loss of water weight.

Hope you like it & hope it works for you!
  • swanny320
    swanny320 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I just googled the diet and the 4 Day jump start is a little concerning to me in that it is telling you to AVOID foods that are WONDERFUL for you ie: fruits and veggies. It's also encouraging you to NOT eat them in their raw form, which is insane because foods in their raw form require your body to do MORE work to digest them, which burns MORE calories and provides you with tons of fiber (which keeps you regular and will ultimately give you a better GI system which is flatter).

I get that the purpose of the 4 day jump start is to motivate you but I think if you're looking for REAL change in yoru body, you must accept that you didn't get chubby overnight and you won't lose it overnight. Focus on a lifestyle change and TRUE change in eating habits and your flat belly WILL come sooner than you imagine.

Sorry if this sounds preachy...I mean well! :)
  • tladame
    Options
    swanny320:

I know, I wondered about that too. But it's only for the initial 4-day jump start, which does include a fruit or vegetable (in some form) in each meal, such as baby carrots, applesauce, mushrooms, etc. I think the idea is to avoid foods that might make you gassy or bloated for those first 4 days. After that, there are a LOT of foods you can eat, including pretty much whatever fruits & vegetables you want. You just have to work a healthy fat into each meal. And the book also has quite a few meal recommendations that include raw fruits & vegetables.

Those first 4 days weren't all that fun food-wise, but I love all the things you get to eat afterwards!
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I love this: ABS DIET POWER

1) Almonds and Other Nuts eaten with skins intact
    2) Beans and Other Legumes
    3) Spinach and Other Green Vegetables
    4) Dairy: Fat-free or low-fat milk, yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese
    5) Instant Oatmeal
    6) Eggs
    7) Turkey and other lean meats. Lean steak, chicken, fish
    8) Peanut Butter
    9) Olive Oil
    10) Whole-Grain Breads and Cereals
    11) Extra-Protein - (Whey) Powder
    12) Raspberries and Other Berries
  • sdwelk11
    sdwelk11 Posts: 825
    Options
    I started the Flat Belly Diet at the end of February. I lost 5 pounds the first month, and have lost 11 pounds total since starting. I've continued eating the meals in the book because they're easy and all are around 400 calories each (so I'm around 1600 calories each day). I don't really see it as a "diet" but more as a different way of eating. You're not restricting food, and the MUFAs (healthy fats) really make the meals satisfying. Just today I had the cherry-chocolate waffle for breakfast, which puts me in a GREAT mood!

The basic jist of it is eating four 400-calorie meals a day, and including a MUFA in each one. The first 4 days (the anti-bloat jump start) is a bit of a challenge at 1200 calories per day, but it goes by fast & you will love the initial loss of water weight.

Hope you like it & hope it works for you!
    I had those too! I substituted the cherries for fresh strawberries and it was to die for!
  • AshjMusik
    AshjMusik Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    @tladame, I completely agree! I sent a message to another girl asking about the FBD, & ppl discouraged it just b/c the word 'diet'=yo-yo. Plz don't generalize... Anyway here's just a copy&paste of my reply to her about my experience w/ it! Hope everyone is having a great day!!
    I bought the FBD book in Feb of last year, & am an absolute believer!! I completely disagree w/ sone of the other posts calling it extreme & unhealthy. It focuses on the MUFAs, which are similar to a Mediterranean diet, some of the best foods u can eat! I gained 50lbs in 7months, & I credit this book for teaching me how to eat healthy for the first time in my life! Ive done the month-long program twice now, the 1st time I lost 5 3/4" down to 143lbs, tried to maintain for a couple months, then did it again & lost 8 1/4" down to 137lbs! I've been maintaining my weight since then (138 as of this morning) using the knowledge & direction this book has taught me. Now its time to get more active, b/c although eating so much better in the past year has helped, i rarely exercise. Im aiming to start an exercise program this month to get that last 20lbs! We all have to start somewhere, & this book was a godsend for me. These meals are quick, tasty & easy. They are my go-to's when I've been slacking. I also really love the recipes from The Three Hour Diet by Jorge Cruise. I haven't tried that 'diet', but I bought the cookbook & my husband will actually eat it!! Lol. Hope I helped & good luck!
  • tladame
    Options
    @AJizzles,
    Glad the FBD is working for you. I'm down 13 lbs since starting at the end of February, and my cholesterol is much better now as well. Just another benefit to eating those healthy fats.

I eat other things too (outside the FB diet), but I love how easy it is to get a 400 calorie meal with all the ideas in the book. They have a few other books that are full of 400 calorie meals too. It's been really easy to maintain my weight this way, and I still keep a food diary in addition to logging here. It helps keep me in check so I don't go overboard!

This book IS a good place to start. It definitely gave me a good head start to finally lose my baby weight. I encourage anybody to at least give it a try if they're looking for a new way of eating to lose weight. =)