Trying to get eating under control

Hi everyone, I have decided that I need to completely overhaul my diet. I just completed my first marathon this past weekend, and have used the excuse of training for it for the last few months to eat everything and anything I have wanted. I actually GAINED weight training for the marathon. Now with the holidays approaching, I want to lose the 5 pounds I gained and stay on track so when I train for my spring races, I might even get faster!!!

Anyone have similar goals and want to support each other?

Replies

• wearmi1
    wearmi1 Posts: 291 Member
    I'm weight training and trying to lose weight as well for my wedding in February. The holidays are always a challenge.... so many yummy things to eat that you can only get this time of the year!
  • Kirky_V2
    Kirky_V2 Posts: 23 Member
    Hi everyone, I have decided that I need to completely overhaul my diet. I just completed my first marathon this past weekend, and have used the excuse of training for it for the last few months to eat everything and anything I have wanted. I actually GAINED weight training for the marathon. Now with the holidays approaching, I want to lose the 5 pounds I gained and stay on track so when I train for my spring races, I might even get faster!!!

Anyone have similar goals and want to support each other?

Hey, I've run 5 marathons, and it is so easy to overcompensate and eat everything in sight because, y'know, you need it ;-)

You need to ask yourself, of that 5lbs how much is fat, and how much is muscle? I always prefer to measure myself with body fat % than out and out weight. A little bit of muscle weighs a lot more than fat, something like 3 times heavier.

For winter training, keep it steady, 3 times a week, mix in some hill sessions, cross training, sprint work etc, and you'll come out fighting. Food wise, I don't really alter my food for marathon training other than add protein shakes after my long runs and the few days before the marathon cut out all fat and max the carbs, lots of bagels with peanut butter...

Lastly, WELL DONE!!!! you're a marathoner. That means you are officially ace