Waste of money to get a crock pot?

Options
catscats222
catscats222 Posts: 1,598 Member
I am starting to think getting a crock pot is a complete and utter waste of money.
Used by those that like meat slow cooked.
I like to eat vegetarian
I can make vegetarian chili in a pot in an hour.

I eat chicken, but no red meat or pork.
I enjoy low saturated fat dinners.
Crock pot is not for me, is it?

Replies

• Derf_Smeggle
    Derf_Smeggle Posts: 611 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    There are a lot of vegetarian meals one can cook in a crockpot. Chicken can be cooked in one. Legumes, I believe, cook well in a crockpot.

Generally, what I like about them is I can start the meal in the morning and is ready when I get home. As I sometimes get home after 8 pm, I'm not in the mood to prep and cook that late. Other times it's nice to have things cook overnight so I have extremely tasty lunch to pack in the morning.
  • electrickazoo
    electrickazoo Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    There are plenty of recipes that you can make in a crockpot (pretty much anything, really) - I recommend you just look around for recipes that you're interested in.

Everything can be made in a pot on the stove, it's more that with a crockpot, you can leave your food cooking while you're out the of the house without worrying about your house burning down.
  • DorisSilver50
    DorisSilver50 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Sounds like it is not something you would likely use. I am a big fan of it, but am also not vegetarian. I have a big family, work a fulltime job that is 45 min from home and like the convenience of coming home to a ready cooked meal. As Derf_Smeggle said there are lots of vegetarian recipes that can be done in crock pots. Legumes are one of the best since it slow cooks you can use dried beans. If I want to do anything with beans, legumes, etc I have to use the ready to eat ones in order to cook it without a crockpot. It isn't for everyone, and like I said, doesn't sound like something you need or want.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    If you don't want to cook in a crock pot, then yes, it would be a waste of money. If you do want to cook in a crock pot, then no, it's not a waste of money.
  • DorisSilver50
    DorisSilver50 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    interesting point - beans from cans can have metals and added sodium
    dry beans are cheaper and perhaps healthier

I also buy ready to use beans in glass jars...
  • 4flamingoz
    4flamingoz Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    NOOOOOOO! Love my crock pot-check out pinterest-unreal possibilities
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    I cook my chicken in the crockpot all the time.

Also you can cook dry beans in a crockpot.
  • MsJulesRenee
    MsJulesRenee Posts: 1,180 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I use my crock pot at least once a week! I would be lost without it. If you cook in large batches, work a lot and want dinner ready when you get home, or meal prep it's a great buy. You can even buy a smaller one if you think a large one would be too much.

I would suggest if you are to get one and you are cooking a lot of vegetable based meals is to cut your veggies large and set the crock pot on low so it doesn't overcook and make everything mushy. Never add water unless you need to, vegetables already have a lot in them- easier to add water later than get rid of it.
  • debrakgoogins
    debrakgoogins Posts: 2,034 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/recipe-collections-favorites/healthy-meals/vegetarian-slow-cooker-recipes

Meatless stew made in the crock pot is wonderful, so are homemade black beans.
  • mysteps2beauty
    mysteps2beauty Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    ...and often slow-cooked increases the tastiness of the meal inside. It's a great way to get on with your busy day, and not have to worry about when to turn the stove off. You can around town and come home to yummy goodness. If however, you eat out a lot, then maybe this is not a necessary tool for you right now.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I am starting to think getting a crock pot is a complete and utter waste of money.

Crock pot is not for me, is it?
    Sounds like you've created the thread already convinced you have no use for one.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=what+uses+does+a+crockpot+have+for+vegetarians

There's a load of recipes online and in many cookbooks and that many are sharing here... but it does sound like you don't want one so I'd say if you have one, donate it to someone that actually will use it.

Many ppl would give anything to have a crock pot so if yours is simply sitting around, 'pay it forward'.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I hardly ever use mine to cook. I do like to have one for keeping dishes warm for the holidays or for pot-lucks. I think any chicken dish is overcooked in a slow-cooker, so I don't prefer that method. The meat really does need to be fatty to come out well, IMO.

A multi purpose appliance may be useful to you. Instant Pot is a brand that has a good reputation for their cookers that combine pressure, slow, steaming, sautéing, and warming.

That said, one doesn't NEED one. Just depends on your schedule and how you like to cook. I use my (stove top) pressure cooker to make hard boiled eggs every week, along with occasional use for a host of things from cheesecake, to grains, to braises. I use it far more than my crock pot.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I use my slow cooker primarily for making beans. They are a staple of my and my family's diet and I make a big batch every weekend. Much easier to just throw them in their on low for 8 hours after they've soaked...lets me get out to do other things besides watch beans cook.

I also use it more this time of year for chilli and stews...yes, I could spend an hour + when I get off work to do it, but sometimes it's just nice to come home from work and everything is already done and since I'm the primary cook in my household, sometimes it's nice to at least feel like you have a night off.

I will occasionally use it to slow cook tough cuts of meat as well.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I like to use chicken thighs on low and try to time it out for about 6 hours. I've never had a problem with them being dry - breasts, though? All the time. I only do them if I'm home and since I'm a batch cooker, it's easy for me to cook something in the crockpot while I have several things on the stove and several in the oven.

I have the Instant Pot, too. That's not getting as much use, but I'm trying.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    There are TONS of crockpot chicken recipes. *shrug* Only you can really answer that question, but it's not like they're super expensive, and if you don't use it, you probably wouldn't have much trouble finding someone to give it to.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I use mine maybe 3x a year, and there's always meat involved (although I guess you could make vegetarian chili). It IS handy for chili and stews though.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    This topic is blasphemy. Crock Pots are awesome. In fact, I have 2. Cause sometimes I want to make an entree and a dessert. How could you not love http://www.recipesthatcrock.com/crock-pot-crustless-pumpkin-pie/ or http://www.crazyforcrust.com/2014/11/slow-cooker-cinnamon-roll-monkey-bread/ I even make oatmeal in mine so it's ready when I wake up.
  • Jennloella
    Jennloella Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    depends what you want it for, if you just want it for the same meals you can do in one pot on the stove fairly quickly then I see no sense in it. I rarely use mine because my family has grown so much and a crock pot simply does not hold a meal for us all any longer, I only break it out to keep finger foods hot during a party now.
  • DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I use mine frequently as I also batch cook. I tend to shy away from using it for lean meat. I've never really had success with chicken breast. Now, thighs and drumsticks I can do quite well, with the skin on (just take it off before eating, if so inclined). I do mostly pork roasts, specifically shoulder/butt.