6 Pound Drop in a week?? Is this possible???

Options
Hi,
This has been my first week back of really getting back to my routine of eating healthier, tracking my calories and daily excersise since having some health issues the past few months. Being off of my regiment I gained about 10 pounds, so I knew it was time to FOCUS!! With that being said I got on the scale this morning to see if I was making any progress and I was down 6 pounds. Is that even possible??? I think I weighed myself over 10 times and I kept coming up with the same thing. What do you guys think??

Thanks

Replies

• dawnrenee567
    dawnrenee567 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    The first week for me is always awesome like that.. but typically it's mostly water weight. Congrats on getting back in the game.
  • LikeNoOneElse84
    LikeNoOneElse84 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Definitely possible. More than likely its water weight, but every little bit counts!
  • kirstiey
    kirstiey Posts: 243
    Options
    Yep, good old water weight. It will slow down from not on, or you might find nothing will go for a couple of weeks, but after that you should settle into regular but gradual weightloss.

Congratulations for getting back in the game!
  • Hopie17
    Hopie17 Posts: 53
    Options
    ya i've dropped 4 lbs so far this week. goin for 6!
  • Angela_MA
    Angela_MA Posts: 260
    Options
    It is possible. It could be that you lost water weight. When I first started out in the first 2 weeks I lost 8 pounds. After that things steadied out.
  • KeyMasterOfGozer
    KeyMasterOfGozer Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I lost 7 pounds my first week, and my brother lost 11, so it is definitely possible. Not to discourage you, but that will not continue for very long. :) hang in there.
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    My was seven the first weigh in. Seven pound drop. Since then it's been .5-1.5 lbs a week. Staying pretty steady. It's a lot funner to see those big numbers, but I figure that was my body's sprint out of the gate. I was probably missing some essential nutrients and fiber and such to aid the liver in purging fat, so it had a nice reservation for me when I finally filled it's order. now that it's all caught up it's a steady pace.
  • Charlottekd
    Options
    I lost 6lbs my first week. Most likely water weight but i think its normal to have a large drop when you first start out, or start again :)
  • mosneakers
    mosneakers Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Welcome back! It's so good to see those high numbers early to keep you motivated! Keep going - you can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I lost 6 pounds the week after Christmas (over which I gained 3.5lbs). I lost 7 lbs about 6 weeks ago (thanks tummy bug) and my very first week of losing weight I lost 5lbs without doing anything but diet.

It's doable but probably not sustainable.
  • applebug20
    applebug20 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    While it might be water weight - if you are a heavy soda drinker and you went off soda, that can have an effect on you too. I lost 8 lbs the first two weeks I went off soda last year, and then jumped another 3 within another 2 days or so. It can happen fast in the beginning depending on what you are doing and eating! Also, if you started working out around your cycle than you could have just put on 2 - 4 lbs of water weight from that and then lost an additional 2!
  • froggy15
    froggy15 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Congrats! I'm so jealous. Only lost 1.5 lbs. in 5 days :(
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    yes, in the first five days, drinking lots of water, eating healthy foods and exercising regularly will help clear your body of anything it has been hanging onto (water, waste, etc.). that can account for many pounds. you should level out in week 2 or 3.
  • pegdorf44
    pegdorf44 Posts: 3
    Options
    Yes, it is possible but it's not total fat loss. Most of the initial weight lost when you first start a diet and when you get back after taking a break, will be water. Most of the foods that we love to eat and shouldn't make us retain water because they are higher in sodium and so when you get back into watching what you eat, you will lose the water weight first. That's why on a show like the Biggest Loser those extremely overweight people can lose 20 to 30 pounds their first week there. It's not all fat. It's mostly water. But don't be discouraged. 6 pounds is 6 pounds that will never be on that scale again and that's great!!
  • paulabanks77
    Options
    Thanks for all the QUICK responses and encouragement!!! I am definitely not mad at those 6 pounds, I just wasn't' expecting it when I got on the scale. But it is a great motivator to keep me moving in the right direction!!! My 34th bday is in 42 days and I am trying to lose another 5 pounds by then... wish me Luck!!!!
  • CherrySunday
    CherrySunday Posts: 301
    Options
    Yeah, same thing happened to me when I started back in March -- 6 pounds!! I wish it could always stay that way :) From there on it was mostly 1.5 to 2 pounds a week.
  • skypie23
    skypie23 Posts: 38
    Options
    Depends on your starting weight. The bigger you are the faster and easier it is to lose pounds. I know a very over weight woman who lost EIGHT pounds on her first week! That is just incredible. The most I've ever lost in a week is 4lb and I was only slightly overweight. More recently I've tend to plateau for a couple of weeks and then lose 31b in one go but no more.
  • marie_2454
    marie_2454 Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    I was like that too. I had a horrible week or so and gained 6 pounds, but I started eating right and exercising a bit Monday and this morning when I weighed myself I was back to my pre-binging days. I also lost 6 pounds, in 4 days. It was just water weight though and it will slow down by next week. I'm just glad that I'm back to losing and not gaining
  • keengkong
    keengkong Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    My weight will vary around 4 pounds during the day if I weigh myself several times. You may very well have lost 6 pounds in a week. You may have also lost a smaller (or larger) amount. The important thing is that you lost weight. Keep at it. And don't be surprised if , after eating exactly like you're supposed to, you have gained two pounds in two days. In a few more days, you may be down 5 another 5 pounds.
  • treez69
    treez69 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    this is my first week, i'm hoping for something like that to kick start me, even if it's not all fat, wishe me luck.......