Violin Hips, Hip Dents, etc.

Options
I just discovered this term, thankfully, after many painful years of thinking I had such a strange body. I have always thought I was "fat" because of them. Any violin hipped folks out there?
For those of you not familiar with this new vocabulary (it took me 25 years to figure this one out),
What are some ways, with exercise, I can make the hip-dent less noticeable? Apparently losing weight, in my case almost 50 pounds, does not make them go away. Its the nature of the skeletal structure.
Or, is it possible to build muscle in that area to fill it out? I have heard talk of the benefits of working the gluteus medius in order to help fill hip dents. But, realistically, I would like to hear form the MFP community, and from personal stories of experience, or for those who may experience the same scoop under their pelvic bone that I do:)

Replies

• bronizzle
    bronizzle Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    For those interested,I attempted to attach some "hip dent" or "violin hips" pictures, but I am having no luck. However, a quick google image search will fill you in:) ( I apologize to those offended by the vocabulary. In instances like these, I mean no harm, I just have a lack of vocabulary to describe this feature of the body).
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    Options
    Are you talking about "hip dip"?

tumblr_nvzgybJeyi1rul74ho1_500.jpg
    (not my pic, just a quick google search pic)

here's an old mfp thread that discusses it:

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1213926/how-to-smooth-hip-line-and-get-rid-of-that-annoying-hip-dip
  • vrokhfit
    vrokhfit Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Totally didn't realize there was a term for this. I have it pretty pronounced and did even when i was (much) thinner. I don't REALLY mind it.. Its how my body is built and its always been that way, but I have been wondering if there were some muscle building solutions as well. Very interesting.