Cardio - Protein Powder, yay or nay?

Options
Hey guys, so I had a question for you. :) I invested in protein powder a month ago and I've been taking it every day, is this the way to go when your mainly doing cardio or should I cut it back to weight lifting days? Also, if cardio driven, would protein be good to only take once (before or after), or twice?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is just a way to get in more protein. Is it helping you meet your protein goals?
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is meant to help you reach your protein macro on days you cannot reach it by food.
  • Hamez_UK
    Hamez_UK Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    As Jane said. Protein powder is just an aid to hit your protein goal. Set that appropriately then you will know if you need the powder. It all depends on your goals.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Think of protein powder less as a supplement and more as just another form of food. It's more like chicken breast in powder form then it is a performance enhancing supplement.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    As everyone said. I find I don't have a hard time hitting my protein on a regular basis... and prefer to eat my calories than drink them so I mostly just use protein shakes for recovery after lifting or a long run. Before cardio, you should be eating carbs for energy.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    protein powder is just a way to help you hit your protein targets...if you can hit them with food from your "normal" eating habits then protein powder isn't necessary.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    Think of protein powder less as a supplement and more as just another form of food. It's more like chicken breast in powder form then it is a performance enhancing supplement.

Exactly, everyone can benefit from hitting their macros, even those who do not exercise at all.
  • Frelise
    Frelise Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Ohh, ok! Thanks everyone, that will help me a lot. :) I guess I was imagining it like an enhancer from how everyone here talks about it, lol. But maybe that's because they're aiming to gain hardcore muscles. :P
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is just a way to get in more protein. Is it helping you meet your protein goals?

This ^ Protein powder is not a magic formula to gain muscle. Well, it helps but you can get protein from whole foods.
  • thywillbedone17
    thywillbedone17 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    So I have a question anyone on here lol
  • thywillbedone17
    Options
    I enter my food and workouts in mfp my goal for calories a day is 2020 with my workouts I'm usually leaving 1000 calories open at the end of the day now I usually go over my daily protein goal for the day but mfp adjusts the amount after I post my workouts so am I supposed to leave or eat these calories??
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I enter my food and workouts in mfp my goal for calories a day is 2020 with my workouts I'm usually leaving 1000 calories open at the end of the day now I usually go over my daily protein goal for the day but mfp adjusts the amount after I post my workouts so am I supposed to leave or eat these calories??

You should probably make your own thread. Also, you shouldn't have 1000 calories left over at the end of the day.
  • thywillbedone17
    Options
    Sorry I'm new to this thanks for your patience and your response stay blessed