Non-Fruit Snacks?

Options
Barelmy
Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
I tend to carry apples around with me for the following reasons (in order of importance);

* They're vegan, and if I can't find anything else, it really helps to have them on me.
* I can put them in my bag or pocket and forget about them for a few days. They don't get injured, they're still good when I want them, and they're low (no!) prep.
* They're low fat/calorie.
* They're very cheap.
* It's an easy way to get lots of fibre.

The problem is, apples have now started to taste really sickly sweet to me.:( Can anyone think of any alternative snacks with at least some of those benefits? All I can think of is bagged nuts, which tend to be overly salty, more expensive, and high fat/calorie.

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Cut veggies, if everything else is too sweet.
  • warmachinejt
    warmachinejt Posts: 2,167 Member
    Options
    Whole grain bread with peanut butter
    but high cal for you though (the fat in nuts is GOOD for you)
  • nurse_carolyn
    Options
    I had forgotten how good peanut butter on celery is, try that:)
  • artickb22
    artickb22 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    what about granola bars...Kashi makes some that are all organic and some are sweet but some are not, also, dry cereal, like bran flakes in a baggie and such. These items will keep for quite sometime and you can munch on them when you want. They usually are around or under 200 cals a serving and full of protien and or fiber!
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Blackberries and blueberries are more tart than sweet. Oranges are a different kind of sweet and grapefruit is not sweet. Maybe just having variety would help? Cut veggies are good [with hommus, yummy!!!] but won't keep for days in your pocket. ;)

I keep a box of 100 calorie packs of Emerald Cinnamon roasted almonds in my car. [I drive a lot for work, etc.] They are quick, easy, come in low sodium, cinnamon roasted and cocoa roasted flavors [for variety] and you know you're eating 100 calories total. Plus, the fats in nuts is a "good" fat you should be consuming. It's a win/win ! :)
  • arbragg
    arbragg Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I have really fallen in love with Caramel Rice Cakes with Peanut Butter on them, not super sweet, and the protein in the PB is awesome!
  • Lauriee2014
    Lauriee2014 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I LOVE caramel rice cakes with peanut butter, too! PB is a vice of mine, so I don't have too often, but when I do, that's one of my fav ways to splurge!
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Hummus and celery sticks, cheese, almonds
  • Barelmy
    Barelmy Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    cheese

Vegan. I'm flexible on the other things, but not that one.

Thanks for all the ideas guys.:D