slimming world vs calorie counting

Options
So been doing slimming world for a while but find it exspensive at times , so thinking of changing it up a bit and going back to calorie counting but not restricting certain food types as long as I'm within my calorie intake . What does everybody think ?

How many calories do you stick to ? Can you eat what you want and still loose weight as long as your within your calorie limits ? X

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight eating what I wanted and paying attention to the calorie deficit. The types of foods you eat can impact how much hunger you feel, so you may -- over time -- make adjustments to what you eat in order to feel fuller (500 calories of chili is much more filling than 500 calories of potato chips, for example). If you input your current stats and goals into MFP, it will generate a calorie goal for you.
  • 1mumrevolution
    1mumrevolution Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    For me, the weight only started to come off when I joined MFP. I did 6 weeks with slimming world and shifted nothing. SW taught me nothing about portion size or CICO. That I learned here. I disliked SW intensely.
  • clairec230787
    clairec230787 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I did slimming world then changed to calorie counting. I lost half a stone in 3 months doing slimming world. I've lost 1 and a half stone in 2 months by calorie counting....
    It's the only scientific way to loose weight!!!
  • khearron26
    khearron26 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I have not heard of Slimming World, but I have tried many food restricting ideas - low/no carb, no dairy, no sugar, etc. I have successfully lost weight doing them, and then successfully gained weight afterwards. But I'm eating differently now. As of the last week or two, I have not restricted myself from any foods. I am focusing on having a really well-balanced diet. Trying to have most (if not all) of the food-groups in every meal. Trying to fill my day with nutritionally valuable foods that give my body what it needs. That's not to say I won't have some cake or Halloween candy (like I did yesterday). But it's my intention to keep those things a low percentage of my total caloric intake for the day. And I am working hard not to replace the foods that are good for me with empty calorie splurges, but rather have them as an addition if I feel I have the available calories.

Anyway, my point is that I am finally happy with the way I am eating! Since I have been focusing on well-balanced instead of food-restricting, I have been feeling much much better emotionally. I haven't felt deprived, and I haven't felt sick like I used to. I am feeling satisfied and complete. And it is something I know I can (and will!) continue for the rest of my life. Because I'm not dieting, I'm just eating good foods. And I still get to eat the foods I love like cake or cookies, but they are an additional treat for me instead of a replacement for the nutrition I need.

(I am 5'0" and try to eat around 1400-1500 with additional daily exercise.)
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Just broke 50 lb lost as of this morning, and even a cursory look at my diary will tell you I am eating what I like. You'll see a lot of ice cream sandwiches, burgers, tacos, some fast food, etc.
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    I started things with sw and then when I got my fitbit, and was working out more, I switched to calorie counting. I find it's easier to keep track of calories to make sure I'm eating enough for my activities but not too much that I don't erase my deficit. Mfp is free and I've lost about 75 of my 100+ lbs lost this way so it does work.

I still use some sw recipes and like the plan, but this is the easiest, long term thing for me.