Training your dog to run with you

Options
eep223
eep223 Posts: 624 Member
edited November 2015 in Fitness and Exercise
I originally got into running because I thought my puppy could benefit from it. Then I read somewhere that you weren't supposed to run with a dog younger than a year because it could negatively affect their growth (Is that true? I have no idea. It doesn't matter now). When I eventually did start to bring my (now adult) dog out on runs with me, I found it way too frustrating. He'd jerk to the side if he spotted a squirrel, or stop to poop 3 times mid-run, which was both disruptive and would leave me carrying a giant bag of poop for the duration of my workout. I got frustrated and abandoned the idea, sticking to our walks as a cool down when I got home.

Fast-forward a couple years and my dog is 4-years-old now. I've moved, and will now have to drive to the park to run, since my neighborhood isn't conducive to it. Not only that, but it isn't very conducive to dog walks either. I haven't run in a while, but would like to get back to it. The only way I can see myself accomplishing this is by bringing m'dude with me, because otherwise I won't be able to fit his walks in. It also seems like a good idea for the two of us to work up our mileage together.

He's still an easily distracted, high energy fuzz ball poop machine, so I'm not sure this experience will be any better than our previous ones. However, I am anticipating it this time, and am prepared to spend some time in the beginning training him on what I expect from him during a run. How do I do this? Has anyone had to break their dog of similar behaviors when you began running together?

Replies

• RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Get a little treat satchel that clips to your waistband. Hold a treat by your side in your palm. Make him stay by your side for longer and longer durations before you give him the treat. You can also feed him a whole meal of kibble using this method if you don't want to fatten him up on treats. Use a command like "by me" when he starts pulling off and doing his own thing. Be patient and consistent. I've worked with a lot of dogs. Not all dogs are runners. Maybe walk with a pack and/or do sprints with your dog if he can't get the running by your side thing down. The easiest way to run with a dog that wants to do its own thing is to be out on a trail where the dog can be off leash. That's obviously not your situation.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    If you can train him to walk next to you with very little free rein then he'll also be able to run with you the same way. That's what my dog does. I trained her when she was about 4 months old though.....LOL. Can you teach an old dog new tricks? Maybe!

Is there a training facility near you? It's usually not that expensive and only takes about 6 weeks to train a dog to obey simple commands and respond to the leash.

My dog actually puts her nose to the ground when she wants to run instead of walk now......she loves to run and I give her just a bit more leash when we run but she still won't leave my side.

Good luck. I hope you can figure it out, we have a lot of fun out there!
  • eep223
    Options
    Sprints a great idea too. We've periodically worked some into our walks, but maybe that can be our "thing." He really does seem to like running. He just gets too excited! I'd like to get back to distances myself, but maybe that's not in the cards.
  • eep223
    edited November 2015
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    Is there a training facility near you? It's usually not that expensive and only takes about 6 weeks to train a dog to obey simple commands and respond to the leash.

We've actually done training and he is generally great on the leash. It's just something about the excitement of running. He goes nuts and thinks it's a free-for-all! Hahaha Maybe it's time for a refresher.

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    My dog used to be like that but I trained her to "keep going" and that keeps her moving in a relatively straight line.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's an idea I saw elsewhere. Give your dog the recreation first, tossing a stick around or something. Get the poop and the vinegar out of the dog before the run. Then the dog will be calmer and stick to the plan.
  • eep223
    Options
    Cool, thanks guys. We'll see how it goes!
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    My goofy fast dog loves sprints! We do it together. She'll stop on a dime if she smells where a deer has pooped, etc, but I just consider that agility training for me ;)

At the beginning of the run, the sprints are short as she stops to smell things quickly or to poop. Then I run her more after she's smelled those things already. I only let her stop again if it's also a rest break for me.

I make her do long legs (not the first trip around) and they are the same ones every day, so she caught on to what the deal is. It's hard to time all of the sprints if that's important, but it's great exercise. I run absolutely wide open, and so does she :) We do it in a big field by the woods.

Oh, at first she was goofy to run fast and so excited, and now I want to do more sprints than she does past the first few, lol. I still make her do them, though :grin:
  • chandramiller68
    chandramiller68 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Yea, I tried to get my dog used to going with me, but it never worked out too well. However, he did learn that I go running first by myself, and when I return it is his turn to go walking. I use that time as my cool down.
  • eep223
    Options
    My goofy fast dog loves sprints! We do it together. She'll stop on a dime if she smells where a deer has pooped, etc, but I just consider that agility training for me ;)

At the beginning of the run, the sprints are short as she stops to smell things quickly or to poop. Then I run her more after she's smelled those things already. I only let her stop again if it's also a rest break for me.

I make her do long legs (not the first trip around) and they are the same ones every day, so she caught on to what the deal is. It's hard to time all of the sprints if that's important, but it's great exercise. I run absolutely wide open, and so does she :) We do it in a big field by the woods.

Oh, at first she was goofy to run fast and so excited, and now I want to do more sprints than she does past the first few, lol. I still make her do them, though :grin:

So maybe I just need to embrace the goofiness!
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    eep223 wrote: »

So maybe I just need to embrace the goofiness!

Depends on the size of your dog. Mine sounds a lot like yours - still randomly launching himself after some squirrel or cat (though after training he is perfect 99% of the time). I won't run with him anymore because he's big enough to yank me off my feet mid stride, and unpredictable enough AND fast enough that I don't have time to compensate. He's given me some sizable bruises and plenty of road rash. I'm afraid that one day I'll end up breaking an ankle or wrist miles from home with no one to come get me, so now we just walk. We're good as long as I have at least one foot on the ground.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Yeah, it depends on the dog! Mine is 90 lbs, but she already knows that 'goofy' on the long leash still means do NOT pull me off my feet. That's the biggest no-no in the world and she does keep it in mind. She doesn't chase prey or anything (mostly because they hear her coming a mile away) :)

Still, I've taken quite a few tumbles from falling over her when she stops so fast (but it's on field grass). I've gotten much more agile since then, seriously. Now I can stop on a dime, too :grin:

ETA: I attach the leash around my pelvis area, btw. I have an upper back problem, so I never walk my dogs holding their leashes. So if I get pulled, I have all the strength of my legs to resist the force and it won't hurt my arm or shoulder, etc.
  • amberlyda1
    amberlyda1 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    My German Shep was a GREAT running partner. I didnt even have to have her on leash as she would never leave my side. She was so easy to train....on the other hand, Dug,my numb nuts whatever he is sheep dog is a horrible running partner. Darn dog is too smart and has one heck of a nose; plus he gets diarrhea if he gets too excited.
    So yeah we dont run together lol
    I love my dog and he is very well trained in every other way, but we just couldnt get the running part together
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    eep223 wrote: »
    I originally got into running because I thought my puppy could benefit from it. Then I read somewhere that you weren't supposed to run with a dog younger than a year because it could negatively affect their growth (Is that true? I have no idea. It doesn't matter now).
    FTR, it is true. Even longer for some larger breeds.
    When I eventually did start to bring my (now adult) dog out on runs with me, I found it way too frustrating. He'd jerk to the side if he spotted a squirrel, or stop to poop 3 times mid-run, which was both disruptive and would leave me carrying a giant bag of poop for the duration of my workout. I got frustrated and abandoned the idea, sticking to our walks as a cool down when I got home.

Fast-forward a couple years and my dog is 4-years-old now. I've moved, and will now have to drive to the park to run, since my neighborhood isn't conducive to it. Not only that, but it isn't very conducive to dog walks either. I haven't run in a while, but would like to get back to it. The only way I can see myself accomplishing this is by bringing m'dude with me, because otherwise I won't be able to fit his walks in. It also seems like a good idea for the two of us to work up our mileage together.

He's still an easily distracted, high energy fuzz ball poop machine, so I'm not sure this experience will be any better than our previous ones. However, I am anticipating it this time, and am prepared to spend some time in the beginning training him on what I expect from him during a run. How do I do this? Has anyone had to break their dog of similar behaviors when you began running together?

My advice would be to start out with practice runs to get him used to what you want him to do. It's frustrating when you are trying to get your workout in and trying to train the dog at the same time. Get him trained to do what you want then do your workouts together.
    I use a command to let my dogs know when it is time to run. It doesn't matter what it is, it can be "ok" "let's go" or a heel command if they know it - the key is to keep it the same. Two of my dogs were trained in a heel, so I used that. I use "let's go" with my lab. This means we are running and not stopping. If they stop to sniff, I give a 'no' and keep moving. I don't yank them but I keep movign them along if you know what I mean. If you stop when they stop it teaches them they can stop. I also use a "break" command to let them know ok you can sniff/pee/whatever.
    It takes a little while for them to learn what is expected. Consistency is key.

As for carrying the poop bags - I try to get mine to go before we leave but my lab is notorious for going when we run. I do an out and back so I stash it somewhere along the way and pick it up on the way back so I don't have to carry it the whole time.
  • Pawsforme
    Pawsforme Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Running with a puppy does not affect their growth. What it can affect is their joint health. Too much running when the joints are still growing and developing can contribute to arthritis and other joint issues down the road. The general belief is that it's best to avoid very much forced exercise until a dog is physically mature.
  • eep223
    edited November 2015
    Options
    "My advice would be to start out with practice runs to get him used to what you want him to do. It's frustrating when you are trying to get your workout in and trying to train the dog at the same time. Get him trained to do what you want then do your workouts together.
    I use a command to let my dogs know when it is time to run. It doesn't matter what it is, it can be "ok" "let's go" or a heel command if they know it - the key is to keep it the same. Two of my dogs were trained in a heel, so I used that. I use "let's go" with my lab. This means we are running and not stopping. If they stop to sniff, I give a 'no' and keep moving. I don't yank them but I keep movign them along if you know what I mean. If you stop when they stop it teaches them they can stop. I also use a "break" command to let them know ok you can sniff/pee/whatever.
    It takes a little while for them to learn what is expected. Consistency is key.

As for carrying the poop bags - I try to get mine to go before we leave but my lab is notorious for going when we run. I do an out and back so I stash it somewhere along the way and pick it up on the way back so I don't have to carry it the whole time."

Great advice, @3dogsrunning ! Plus I instantly trust you because of your name. Thanks a lot, we'll give it a try!

• mbaker566
    Options
    you can also bring a bag with loops (grocery bag) that you can loop thru a running belt or something and put the bags in it. or get a vest for the dog with pockets and stick it in there.
  • eep223
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    you can also bring a bag with loops (grocery bag) that you can loop thru a running belt or something and put the bags in it. or get a vest for the dog with pockets and stick it in there.

I like the idea of of vest. I don't want to stick it on my belt because it will slap up against my leg. Ew. But yeah, I can put the pooch to work!
  • mbaker566
    edited November 2015
    Options
    found one here

or here
  • eep223
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks!!