Veganism and running ?

Options
So I want to become vegan but don't know if it won't hurt me because I exercise a lot and am not sure if I can get enough protein and Ca ( and other nutrients like B12,ironOmegas 3 and 6 etc.) from plant food.

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    There's a pretty famous vegan ultramarathoner, Scott Jurek, who just ran the 2189-mile Appalachian Trail in 46 days and 8 hours. If he can do it, you can too.

You need to make smart choices about nutrition, but it's possible. It requires some diligence and more effort than an omnivorous diet, but it's certianly not impossible.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I run 35-40 miles a week and I'm vegan. There are many vegan endurance athletes. You can get everything but B12 from a vegan diet (and you can easily supplement the B12 or eat fortified foods). "Vegan for Life," by dietitians Jack Norris and Virginia Messina, is a great introduction to vegan nutrition and there is a special chapter for vegan athletes.
  • eep223
    eep223 Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    I know plenty of vegan runners. Just make sure you're getting enough calories (a problem for both runners and vegans, so an extra challenge for vegan runners!) and you'll be fine! Track what you're eating on here and it will help you to be sure you're hitting your numbers. Rock it!
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    eep223 wrote: »
    I know plenty of vegan runners. Just make sure you're getting enough calories (a problem for both runners and vegans, so an extra challenge for vegan runners!) and you'll be fine! Track what you're eating on here and it will help you to be sure you're hitting your numbers. Rock it!

Cashew ice cream helps me with that pesky not-getting-enough-calories problem.
  • KaterinaDokuzova94
    Options
    Will I need to take any supplements ?
  • KaterinaDokuzova94
    KaterinaDokuzova94 Posts: 83 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I was eating plant based a couple of months but somehow feel of the wagon....
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Every vegan needs to either supplement B12 or eat foods fortified with it -- there are no plant sources of B12. Fortunately, B12 is a very affordable and easy to find supplement. Individual vegans may choose -- like non-vegans -- to supplement other vitamins or minerals if their diet doesn't supply them in sufficient quantity, but all other vitamins and minerals are available to us through foods.

I personally choose to supplement iodine (because I don't use iodized salt and don't eat seaweed regularly), iron (because I have always struggled, even as a non-vegan, with low blood iron), vitamin D (because I live in a location where I don't get lots of sun), and vegan DHA (because I don't regularly consume foods high in omega-3s). But none of these are required for vegans.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Oreos are vegan too
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options

yes...B12 for sure.
  • eep223
    Options
    DavPul wrote: »

Oreos are vegan too

Ha!
  • janejellyroll
    Options

Oreos are vegan too

Ha!

Yeah, some vegans probably do have problems getting sufficient calories . . . it's never been a problem of mine!
  • eep223
    Options

Oreos are vegan too

Ha!

Yeah, some vegans probably do have problems getting sufficient calories . . . it's never been a problem of mine!

Well, you know, not a problem for all runners either. ;)
  • nijowe93
    nijowe93 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's really not an issue, take a good multivitamin and try to be mindfull of what you eat, try to get some nuts, seeds and oil into your daily diet and you're pretty much covered.
    You should get enough protein from your food no problem, and even if it does prove to be an issue you can always supplement with some proteinpowder, there are plenty vegan blends.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options

Every vegan needs to either supplement B12 or eat foods fortified with it -- there are no plant sources of B12. Fortunately, B12 is a very affordable and easy to find supplement. Individual vegans may choose -- like non-vegans -- to supplement other vitamins or minerals if their diet doesn't supply them in sufficient quantity, but all other vitamins and minerals are available to us through foods.

I personally choose to supplement iodine (because I don't use iodized salt and don't eat seaweed regularly), iron (because I have always struggled, even as a non-vegan, with low blood iron), vitamin D (because I live in a location where I don't get lots of sun), and vegan DHA (because I don't regularly consume foods high in omega-3s). But none of these are required for vegans.

I'm an omnivore and take iron, iodine, D, and EFA for similar reasons.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I'm an omnivore and take iron, iodine, D, and EFA for similar reasons.

Supplement twins!