New vegetarian trying to cut out sugar :)

Options
Hello! I have just started being a vegetarian and I would like to eat whole foods and kick my sugar addiction. Not wanting to loose weight but would like to feel better by changing my diet and incorporate exercise into my routine. Would love support and people to talk to with similar goals! :)

Replies

• fhocklax27
    fhocklax27 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hey there, if I were you, I would check out a plant based, vegan diet. I was just like you and wanted to stop eating all the fake sugary crap, and then I went on youtube and found people like NinaAndRanda and FreeleeTheBananaGirl who introduced me to veganism. After a month of this, I no longer feel the need to eat all the junk since my body is nourished by real food. Plus, I'm eating around 2000 calories a day and losing more weight than when I restricted to 1300 by just eating fruits and whole grains whenever I'm hungry. I'm totally available to talk if you want more information, send me a message or add me as a friend! :blush:
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Freelee is a fraud. Bananas are loaded with natural sugar. I haven't the heart after that endorsement to look up the nina twins.

Better reading:

http://www.scibabe.com/bullshitproof/
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    Freelee is a fraud. Bananas are loaded with natural sugar. I haven't the heart after that endorsement to look up the nina twins.

Better reading:

http://www.scibabe.com/bullshitproof/

^This...
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    fhocklax27 wrote: »
    Hey there, if I were you, I would check out a plant based, vegan diet. I was just like you and wanted to stop eating all the fake sugary crap, and then I went on youtube and found people like NinaAndRanda and FreeleeTheBananaGirl who introduced me to veganism. After a month of this, I no longer feel the need to eat all the junk since my body is nourished by real food. Plus, I'm eating around 2000 calories a day and losing more weight than when I restricted to 1300 by just eating fruits and whole grains whenever I'm hungry. I'm totally available to talk if you want more information, send me a message or add me as a friend! :blush:

Just to make sure I understand what you are saying...

You are eating 700 cals more/day and are losing weight faster than you were before, just by eating fruits and whole grains?

• Jenism1
    Jenism1 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Good for you for wanting to try something new.

I, for one, know I didn't get here by eating too many bananas! There are worse things to eat! haha!

I am doing Whole30 right now and I am actually loving it. Who knew I could go without sugar in my coffee! I could not give up meat though...just me.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @carleighblood for exercise, I thoroughly endorse it! I find the best exercise is the one you like the most. Try a bunch of different activities and keep doing the ones that give you the most satisfaction. Exercise gave me stamina, flexibility, energy, and pink in my cheeks.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    Anyone who tells you not to eat fruits because of their natural sugar is more of a fraud than the one who eats a ton of them without getting fat or getting diabetes.

The only sugars to avoid are those mainly in processed and junk foods like sodas, cakes and donuts. Any naturally occurring sugars in whole foods are perfectly fine...and also delicious.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    @Traveler120 I'm all for bananas except as a fad diet technique. The OP says she wants to be a vegetarian, eat whole foods, and cut her sugar. It's kind of hard to to all three.
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Anyone who tells you not to eat fruits because of their natural sugar is more of a fraud than the one who eats a ton of them without getting fat or getting diabetes.

The only sugars to avoid are those mainly in processed and junk foods like sodas, cakes and donuts. Any naturally occurring sugars in whole foods are perfectly fine...and also delicious.

You body reacts to fructose (in fruit) and sucrose (in table sugar) in the same way. Both get turned into glucose. Both fruit and other sugars are perfectly fine to consume as part of a balanced diet. Anyway, the point is that Freelee:
    A. Doesn't eat as much as she says she does.
    B. Spends most of her time exercising, hence why she can eat so much fruit/so many calories without getting fat. Then she proceeds to mislead everyone about it. That's why she's much more of a fraud than anyone who would tell you to avoid fruit - those people mostly just don't understand science.
  • Traveler120
    Options
    @Traveler120 I'm all for bananas except as a fad diet technique. The OP says she wants to be a vegetarian, eat whole foods, and cut her sugar. It's kind of hard to to all three.
    It's only hard, and also bizarre, if you equate a fruit (whole food) to a cupcake (processed food). One is full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals and the other is just empty nutritionless calories.

Given that she wants to start eating more whole foods, then common sense tells me that her 'sugar addiction' was more than likely about cupcakes and biscuits as opposed to an addiction to fruits (if there's such a thing). Once again, the only sugar that needs to be minimized is added sugar mainly from junk/processed foods.
  • indianaglover
    indianaglover Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Your body needs good sugar from fruit. You need atleast 15 grams of natural sugar a day or u will pass out. Ur body needs some sugar. Not bad sugar but good sugar all natural not added sugar
  • Traveler120
    edited November 2015
    Options

You body reacts to fructose (in fruit) and sucrose (in table sugar) in the same way. Both get turned into glucose. Both fruit and other sugars are perfectly fine to consume as part of a balanced diet. Anyway, the point is that Freelee:
    A. Doesn't eat as much as she says she does.
    B. Spends most of her time exercising, hence why she can eat so much fruit/so many calories without getting fat. Then she proceeds to mislead everyone about it. That's why she's much more of a fraud than anyone who would tell you to avoid fruit - those people mostly just don't understand science.

It's good that you bring up science. I've been eating a plant based diet for nearly 5 months now. That's tons of fruits, grains, tubers, legumes and veggies, plus some nuts/seeds. Naturally, that translates to 70-80% carbs. They all get turned into glucose. And yet, I've continued losing weight and now down to 125 lbs, and my fasting blood glucose a month ago was 70 (normal range is 65-99). My previously high cholesterol has also dropped significantly to normal levels.

So scientifically speaking, all the naturally occurring sugars from all the fruits and starches have been nothing but good for me. All I've done is keep junk/processed food to a minimum (gotta have some ice cream, chocolate and biscuits once week). Also, I don't exercise as hard as Freelee so I only get to eat about 1700-2000 cals.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    It's the same sugar. The only difference is one is wrapped in a fiber sandwich. The fiber slowed digestion enough for me to enjoy fruit daily when I was diabetic (in remission now with significant weight loss).