How to take off those last 10 pounds!

Options
I came across this advice from Jillian Michaels online. I thought I would share it with you all :-)

"You know what I like to call those last 10 or 15 pounds that won't come off no matter what you do? Vanity pounds.

The term describes our desire to lose weight that, as far as our bodies are concerned, actually feels healthy. Today's society pressures us to want to look a certain way, so for aesthetic reasons we try to be thinner than our bodies want us to be. Personally, I have gained and lost the same 8 vanity pounds more times than I care to admit.

Losing your first 50 pounds might have been tough, but believe me, dropping those final few stubborn pounds is a whole different challenge. The body struggles to hold on to that last bit of fat for survival purposes.

Now, don't get me wrong — you can lose the weight if you want to, but it will require you to muster a tremendous amount of restraint and willpower. If you're really up for it, do the following for 30 days:

Cut your sodium to 1,000 mg a day.
Drink at least 80 ounces of water daily.
Cut out processed foods.
Abstain from alcohol.
Train at 85 percent of your MHR (maximum heart rate) for 1 hour 5 times a week.
You can do a lot in 30 days — in fact, I can pretty much guarantee you will lose at least 5 pounds. And you'll feel like a rock star!"

Replies

• ItsTerriC
    ItsTerriC Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    If I ever get down to my last 10, this will be my bible.

Thanks for posting!
  • hopeforsuccess
    Options
    Thanks for that - I am really struggling with my projected 10lb weight loss, so much so that I nearly gave up this week. However, will be back on track from Sunday and boy do I mean business! :-)
  • hopeforsuccess
    Options
    Thanks for that - I am really struggling with my projected 10lb weight loss, so much so that I nearly gave up this week. However, will be back on track from Sunday and boy do I mean business! :-)
  • CassieSeymour
    CassieSeymour Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this! I know I look good where I am at, but I do want to lose the last 5- 10 vanity pounds. :)
  • 1crazymom
    1crazymom Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Exactly where i'm stuck! Thanks for posting!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    She lost me at "refrain from alcohol". :drinker:
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    I guess it might depend on what you define as the 'last 10-15' lbs. For me, I hit a wall at 140 lbs (the high end of my healthy BMI) but found best results when I relaxed a bit rather than tightening my grip. I let myself have a few more high days and have a bit more fun- but just doing things that aren't necessarily a workout- I joined a softball team and make plans to go out more often but for things that are on foot- Just little things trying to get and stay more active overall.

It's gone a bit slowly, but I'm down 8 of my last 10-15 and kind of happy with the slow pace- it gives me time to consider if I'm happy to maintain at each weight. But that's just for me.
  • lynnmarsh52
    lynnmarsh52 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    God, that really does all make sense!! Thank you so much for this post - it has helped heaps! You're a star :flowerforyou:
  • 37mom
    37mom Posts: 74
    Options
    I am in the same positon..the last 10-15 pounds and I have gone up and down like a yoyo. I can get down..but its maintaining it after I am down. Its very difficult.
  • Shanzstar
    Shanzstar Posts: 197
    Options
    thanks for sharing!
  • jackiekjames
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump bump!! Thanks so much for sharing this!
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    bump :smile:
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I'm actually at goal weight but boy it's hard to maintain! I have a high school reunion at the end of July and these tips will help me to stay on track. (of course, I've got to get through the 2 week vacation without alcohol!)
  • vichick20
    vichick20 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Haha the alcohol thing made me sad also... but sometimes you have to do things that suck to get what you really want
  • SeaChele77
    SeaChele77 Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Okay - I'm going to take your challenge!! Starting Sunday (as we have family in over the weekend) I will begin this and hopefully have teh willpower to stick it out. My scale is not budging, no matter my calorie intake. I do good for two-three weeks nothing. I just relax and just eat (which is still pretty healthy, but probably over my 1200 calories) and still nothing (no up or down). I'm the heaviest I've ever been and I do not like it. Granted I'm only trying to lose 12lbs, but I don't want these 12lbs. I've been 138 before - so obviously my body survived just fine at a lower weight for years!! I need help. I'll take your challenge - I'll let you know how it goes. ;)
  • lheislup
    lheislup Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bump! Thanks for the post.
  • swaymyway
    swaymyway Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    Might have to give it a go when I get back off my holidays as have been stuck for 8+ months now, though I do most of what it suggests any way, and I don't like that she says I will definitely lose at least 5lbs, because now when I don't I will dislike her even more than I already do lol
  • MsElphaba
    MsElphaba Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you work that hard to take them off how easy it would be to get them back when you stop that routine?
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    bimp
  • froggy15
    froggy15 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that useful information.