What keeps you motivated?

Options
I am having the hardest time staying motivated. I want to loose weight but my cravings get the best of me. What do you do to make yourself walk away from your cravings and stay on track?

Any ideas would be great!!

:flowerforyou:

Replies

• nkteach
    nkteach Posts: 41
    Options
    For cravings I keep a HUGE bowl of fruit ready to eat in the fridge. Its full of melons and all of our favorite fruit. It has seemed to help so far. As far as working out...i keep looking a before and after photos of MFP peeps. So motivating! Keep pushing! :smile:
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    When I first started I was really hurting. I missed all my favorite foods. To combat the cravings I bought myself 100 calorie (or close to that) treats. Ice cream bars, 100 calorie packs, no sugar added hot cocoa... it really helped curb my cravings. Now that I've been at it awhile now, I don't have nearly as many cravings (I actually crave my healthy food! shocking I know!)

Oh and if you are looking for something to curb a candy bar craving, Fiber Plus Caramel Coconut Fudge bars are AWESOME!! And they are only 130 calories :)
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    I know when I do get those cravings I have a very little bite of it however I do drink a glass of water or subsitute it for something thats filling. I usually eat a peanut butter fiber bar and that really does the trick :)
  • dennisdavis1956
    Options
    This is tough. I make myself workout harder or do an extra workout when I don't stick to a strict plan. Last night I went out and shot some pool with my friends and wound up drinking 3 beers. ooops. Now I have done the damage. So I have to repair it. I plan a extra long bike ride today. Literally peddeling my #@$$ off.
    Try to minimize, if you have a craving eat just a liitle of it. Count it. and work it off. Keep your eyes on the prize. 6 lbs is great. Keep up the good work and it will be 12 lbs.
    You go!
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    I keep watching the number go down on the scale! It's the little victories that matter, and I've lost barely anything, but when I see a - on my scale, it gets me going! I just keep telling myself it's worth it and it will be better in the end!
  • Bapo622
    Bapo622 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Being prepared is what works best for me, having healthy foods on hand. At the end of my day I'm usually starving, so I generally eat a really big dinner, but most of it is vegetables with smaller portions of whole grain pasta or rice. So I'm generally full because the vegetables are really filling. But if I still need something sweet I love some Greek yogurt with pureed raspberries and a few chocolate chips.
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    OMG - I can't believe I am saying this.....

Sitting in chairs I couldn't fit in..
    Feeling my collar bones starting to come back..
    Closet shopping (clothes in my closet that NOW fit!)
    Better stamina...Yeah, I meant it THAT WAY...
    The slower I go... the more of a chance I have at actually changing my lifestyle and keeping the weight off!!

You can do it - there are lots of tricks..
    Brush teeth...
    Drink water....
    can anyone else help??

You can do it...... What is your ultimate goal???
  • shelld70
    shelld70 Posts: 106
    Options
    Being on MFP has really helped me be accountable for what I am eating. When I am craving chocolate or sweets, sometimes I enter in the item just to see what the calories are, and that makes me think twice about eating it. Substituting other things for whatever you are craving helps. Hang in there! You can do it! :flowerforyou:
  • DawnA7230
    DawnA7230 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Cravings are often a sign of a deficiency. You're craving can often help you determine what you are lacking. For example: a chocolate craving could be a sign of a magnesium or iron deficiency. Craving meat, like a cheeseburger, is often a sign or an iron or protein deficiency.

Now that I am eating well and taking supplements I don't really get cravings anymore. Sure, I might have a taste for something, but not a craving.
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    For me it was finally coming to the realization that those tempting items, like cheesecake for example, are really not going to help me reach my goals. As time goes one and you see success it becomes easier.

When something is tempting, I just tell myself I know what it tastes like so why bother. For me, one bite can lead to a few more so if I have a bite, I usually will have to remove myslef from the situation or all heck might break loose!

Tim