What is the best advice you have heard so far on your journey? Im looking forward to reading these

Options

Replies

• pinggolfer96
    pinggolfer96 Posts: 2,248 Member
    Options
    Not stressing over every little gram/ calorie I ingest. I avoided social outings and family dinners because I was too worried about the content. Life is too short to be that nit picky. I learned how to enjoy myself and still my mindful and healthy. I ended up losing more weight the more comfortable I got with allowing myself not to track every little thing. You can't let your diet take you over.....cause it will, I've been there and it's stressful. Allow yourself to enjoy your life with your friends and family, just be health conscious. :)
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    Buying and using a food scale.

I have one but have not used it yet! I might give it a try

Yep and always keep it in grams.
  • porterparkermom
    porterparkermom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You need to consume 3500 calories above maintenance to gain a pound. The scale may bounce higher because of fluid retention associated with higher glycogen levels after that big carb day you had, but it's definitely NOT a pound of fat. Calm the eff down.

No one seems upset or not calm I don't know why you needed to say calm the eff down???????
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    You need to consume 3500 calories above maintenance to gain a pound. The scale may bounce higher because of fluid retention associated with higher glycogen levels after that big carb day you had, but it's definitely NOT a pound of fat. Calm the eff down.

No one seems upset or not calm I don't know why you needed to say calm the eff down???????
    I believe the poster is saying this was advice given to him/her at some point that was appreciated. Remember that is the subject of the thread.
  • MrsEGreen
    MrsEGreen Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Food scale was a huge help
    But this quote hit hard considering how quick a year flies by:

A year from now you will wish you had started today!
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Eat slowly, try to chew each bite at least 6-10 times.
    Use the stairs instead of escalators.
    To maintain your weight, you manage your calories, no matter what your calories come from: fried or greasy food; beer, wine, or spirits; sweets.
  • PinkPixiexox
    PinkPixiexox Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    Best advice I gave myself when things got tough? "Hang in there".
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,399 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Eat less--move more. No excuses--never give up (no matter what).
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    It's ok to tell yourself NO. "oh look, there's a Reese's Fast Break, I haven't had one of those in ages". NO. "Oh, I'm at a bar and they have the beer I've been wanting to try but I've already had 2." NO.

Learn self control. Learn patience. Learn that this isn't a short term deal.
  • kateangel2312
    kateangel2312 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Train insane or remain the same
  • Steve_Paul
    Steve_Paul Posts: 23 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Be consistent.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,834 Member
    Options
    "Don't let the number on the scale control you or your mood for the day"
  • geminiswede
    geminiswede Posts: 903 Member
    Options
    Stop putting things off until tomorrow (or next week, or whenever).

Gone completely off track at lunch or with a snack? Get back on track for dinner instead of going overboard then too.

The big one I always told myself had to do with stairs at work. I always thought I couldn't do all of them so I'd just start doing them when I lost more weight or got more strength. Now I just go for it. If I can't do them all, I go as far as I can and then take the elevator the rest of the way, or if I'm early enough I'll just take a break for a mnute and then continue up the rest of the steps.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    When I first started with my trainer, he looked at my diet weekly and this is the conversation that changed things for me.

Me "I was bad this week, I had pizza, French fries and beer this week"

trainer "It's not bad, is it realistic that you will never have those things again? You are never going to eat pizza again? We are working on a way to change your eating habits forever, so we need to find a way to work them in...just not everyday."

It was when I stopped making any food forbidden.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options

pretty sure this was the advice given to the poster...like as per the subject of the thread...i don't think the poster was telling anyone to calm the eff down...
  • girls_read_comics
    girls_read_comics Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I heard this long before I needed to lose weight, but the best advice I've heard was from Nike. "Just Do It"

It's brilliant advice.

I can't think of anything else I've been told that has been helpful.
    Stop putting things off until tomorrow (or next week, or whenever).

Gone completely off track at lunch or with a snack? Get back on track for dinner instead of going overboard then too.

The big one I always told myself had to do with stairs at work. I always thought I couldn't do all of them so I'd just start doing them when I lost more weight or got more strength. Now I just go for it. If I can't do them all, I go as far as I can and then take the elevator the rest of the way, or if I'm early enough I'll just take a break for a mnute and then continue up the rest of the steps.
    For years it was always tomorrow or next monday for me
  • desiresdestiny
    desiresdestiny Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Don't let one day turn into one bad week turn into one bad month to one bad year. Everyday is a new chance to make the right decision.

This ^^
  • ettaterrell
    ettaterrell Posts: 887 Member
    Options
    Only a LCHF dieter would need this advice but after being stuck on a low carb diet for a couple weeks someone told me to up the fat... I lost 3 lbs the next week when I did that and it's been going since then so "eat more fat" was my best advice
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    stop making excuses
    patience
    be realistic
    food scale
    honesty
    There are no good/bad foods.
  • FitCurves1818
    FitCurves1818 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Get rid of your big clothes, don't save them for just in case.

**I'm going to add an epiphany I just figured out these last few weeks. I have been able to wear my current size 18s for the last 30lbs. Yes, they are definitely looser, require a belt and/or don't fit well, but I still can wear them. No wonder I was able to fool myself as the scale inched up 30lbs, I was still able to "fit" into my clothes. I am working my way down sizes in my closet and am in between the 16s and 18s I own, but the second I can fit into at least 2 more pairs of my 16s, I'm getting rid of all my 18s and so forth as I work my way down. The differences between sizes isn't so great once you get into the 10 and the single digits, but I've learned my lesson and won't keep anything greater than a 12 in my closet once I get below it. (and only keeping these particular 12s due to vanity sizing. arrgh)**