Broken Ankle - The aftermath

Options
Looking for advice...

I've just had my leg taken out of plaster after six weeks with a broken ankle.

During the break my boyfriend introduced my to boxing techniques - as the gym was out of question.

Now it's out of plaster, I'm not allowed to do strenous work on my foot, but can bear full weight on it. I've been told swimming but I hate public pools and want to get back in the gym.

What equipment would you advise?

FYI I'm a 25yr old female

Replies

• oilphins
    oilphins Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I box three days a week and a lot of it involves foot work. If your looking to do just strickly cardio, maybe the elliptical or recumbent bike. You can do a lot of exercises as well sitting on a bench at the gym. Sitting curls, shoulder press, tricep extentions etc.. Just make sure your completely healed and don't get anxious and do anything to soon. Good luck to you.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    This a question for your physical therapist.
  • 42firm03
    42firm03 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Do you have a physical therapy consult soon?
    You have to very intentionally re-build your strength and flexibility to prevent another fall/injury.

I broke my ankle April 2013 and 6 months to the day the sucker rolled out from under me and I broke another bone in my foot. 'Twas not fun.
  • Sunseeker1990
    Sunseeker1990 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    No I don't have a physio appointment. The Dr was happy with me and signed me off without an appointment.

• LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    If the dr talk you swimming, then this is what he probably thinks you will be doing, which is pretty standard advice after an injury. If this is not an option, call him and ask for alternatives. You need to rebuild strength in a safe way.
  • ShellyBell999
    ShellyBell999 Posts: 1,482 Member
    Options
    Squats
    If you are signed off to bear full weight then get your squats on
    As well as all the other upper body stuff mentioned.
  • busyPK
    busyPK Posts: 3,788 Member
    Options
    I broke 2 bones in my ankle, surgery and a LONG recovery (full weight 5 months post surgery). Swimming would be great, also bike would be doable if your doctor said you can bear weight. Boxing would be great if standing in one place, not kickboxing. Stay away from high impact exercises. Try the elliptical with lower resistance until your ankle gets a bit stronger.
  • Munz39
    Munz39 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there... Similar thing happened to me, doctor said my ankle was fine and I can get on with my life. Years down the track I ended up with severe drop foot. Too cut a long story short my doctor and Physio said it may need an operation, I ended up leaving and never went back. I done some research in books and uncle GOOGLE and
    found two exercises common to all the articles.
    Paddling feet in water (swimming if you are confident) and strapping my feet to an exercycle machine (most have straps anyway). Six months later and there was so much improvement that I can do calf raises now.
    For ten years I could not jog, now I am jogging, not much but its something. My point being get it sorted everyone, unless you want to walk like a penguin...
  • ecjim
    ecjim Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I have been through this multiple times with broken ankles & legs . If the Dr said full weight bearing , then it's time for you to walk , walk everyday until it hurts, rest and go some more, - everyday - It will take time to get your strength back, and it's gonna hurt, both your ankle and muscles. You just have to just suck it up and walk. When you are done walking, elevate your foot on a pillow. You will want Ibuprofen, it's a good anti inflammatory get OTC or a Rx and take it 2 - 3 x per day for a while. When you feel up to it, start squatting light. When you do make sure you use both legs. Its been 24 years since my last broken leg/ ankle, ( that one involved bone grafts) and I still sometimes have to think to use both legs equally when I squat. Hang in there, you're young and will heal. Eastcoast Jim