Sad Servings...

Options

Replies

• pegastarlight
    pegastarlight Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Frozen custard from culvers. I always wanted two scoops when I was younger, then I saw the calories were by scoop ... and scoops tend to actually be hefty and over the count of what's just one scoop ...
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    Just remembered - Nutella. I was shocked and appalled by both the serving size and the number of calories in Nutella, and a little heart broken lol.
  • justrollme
    justrollme Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    moyer566 wrote: »
    there are cookies out there that the serving is half a cookie. who eats half a cookie and save the rest for later?

Right, like soup cups. You can't even put it away for another day and it's 2 servings?

Love hate relationship...
    81jtVGNfgpL._SY355_.jpg

Ooo McDougall's! Weirdly, that brand also makes a cup that is one serving for the lowered sodium split pea soup, which is pretty tasty for a quick and easy type thing.
  • ridge4mfp
    ridge4mfp Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Chips are the worst. I weighed out 1 serving for my lunch the other day and it was like 8 chips for 140 calories. I had carrot sticks instead :'(
    Try Special K Cracker Chips. A serving of 25 chips is 120 calories. They're pretty darn good, too, especially the Salt and Vinegar. I am usually fine on a 1/2 serving for 60 calories.
  • insearchofcheese
    insearchofcheese Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Rice!
  • hapa11
    hapa11 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Syrup. I thought I'd have one toaster waffle with a little syrup for breakfast. The syrup was 210 calories! I had the waffle plain. Not worth it.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    hapa11 wrote: »
    Syrup. I thought I'd have one toaster waffle with a little syrup for breakfast. The syrup was 210 calories! I had the waffle plain. Not worth it.

I just use a teaspoon now. It gives enough flavor for 30-40 calories, so that's worth it to me.
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, pasta, rice.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    everything....
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    everything....
    Lol...yes
  • cbeau1991
    cbeau1991 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Pasta salad is mine. I can easily eat over 700 calories of pasta salad. Also, my beloved double IPAs. :(
  • oolou
    oolou Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    knelson095 wrote: »
    Ive got a smaller plate so my dinners don't look as small as they are. It works for me :)

You know, I was thinking I needed some little prep bowls for snacks.

Get toddler bowls. Seriously, I got little plates/bowls for my son at IKEA and dang if they aren't perfect for making a single serving look decadent!

Plus I get to eat out of a bright pink bowl. Win/win!

I love your optimistic outlook :D I'm tempted to do this!
  • Francl27
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    everything....

I think this guy nails it.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

I just use a teaspoon now. It gives enough flavor for 30-40 calories, so that's worth it to me.
    What kind of syrup? Real maple syrup is 52 calories a tablespoon.

I said a teaspoon, that's plenty for me for one toaster waffle. I'll use one tablespoon on pancakes and that's enough for me as well. I don't like when they're soaked in it anyway.
  • Strawblackcat
    Strawblackcat Posts: 944 Member
    Options
    I agree on cereal. I never even used to eat it for a meal -- I just used to snack on it. But I used to pour a huge bowl and mix different flavors like a sort of snack mix. I knew that I was getting more than one serving, but I was expecting 3-4, not 5-6!

Also, any kind of nut butter. I used to pile sandwiches high with it and eat a big tablespoon on the side. Easily 800 calories of peanut butter alone. I used to go through the big family size jar of Jiff in two weeks...Now the baby jar of almond butter lasts me for over two months. :(
  • MarcyKirkton
    MarcyKirkton Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    I think the entire food industry is in for a shock in the near future as someone is going to address the entire servings deal. It is absurd on way too many products.

• Linnaea27
    Linnaea27 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    Chips! Especially since they are such an addictive thing to eat. 15 chips for ~140 calories, blah. I still eat them, but mostly when I'm maintaining or when I've been really active and can have more than 1 serving!
  • JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Just remembered - Nutella. I was shocked and appalled by both the serving size and the number of calories in Nutella, and a little heart broken lol.

Nutella is one of those things I love so much that people get it for me for Christmas. I can put away an entire jar of that stuff in about 2 days. Mmmmmm... But 100 calories per tablespoon makes me sad. :( Calories don't count at Christmas, right?
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    It sounds like a lot of people look at the recommended serving sizes and adhere to that. I never do that. I eat the amount of the thing I want and fit it into my calories, the only nutritional info that has value is the "calories per 100g" section, as with that information I can work out any amount. I have seldom seen a serving size I agree with.

Sometimes I want a little, sometimes I want a lot. I will decide - not some food manufacturer trying to force feed me or deceive me into thinking his product is not calorie dense.
  • Francl27
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »
    It sounds like a lot of people look at the recommended serving sizes and adhere to that. I never do that. I eat the amount of the thing I want and fit it into my calories, the only nutritional info that has value is the "calories per 100g" section, as with that information I can work out any amount. I have seldom seen a serving size I agree with.

Sometimes I want a little, sometimes I want a lot. I will decide - not some food manufacturer trying to force feed me or deceive me into thinking his product is not calorie dense.

Well I do that too, but that doesn't mean that a 'serving' isn't very small for the amount of calories. I got those planters mixes that come with yogurt or chocolate covered nuts, a serving is pretty much 8 pieces, if that... a toddler bowl wouldn't even do it. Maybe a bottle cap?

What kind of syrup? Real maple syrup is 52 calories a tablespoon.

I said a teaspoon, that's plenty for me for one toaster waffle. I'll use one tablespoon on pancakes and that's enough for me as well. I don't like when they're soaked in it anyway.

I know you said a teaspoon. There are three teaspoons in a tablespoon. If your syrup is 30 calories a teaspoon (and thus 90 calories a tablespoon), I was wondering what kind of syrup ran you 90 calories a tablespoon.

I didn't look it up to see exactly how many calories it was. Just know it's not much. 1/4 cup is way too much for me.