Appetite Suppressants. (Long post, sorry.)

Options

Replies

• ZeXea
    ZeXea Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    What part?

Dude.

See. I remember now why I'm hesitant to get involved in a community setting. There's always going to be un-deputized board police whose life revolves around monitoring...all. I can see you're a posty fellow. Here's the thing, regardless of what YOU feel was said in previous posts, I'm posting what I felt about previous posts. I don't need you to refer me to subsection B, article 1003 of the board posting rules according to you. Nothing in my post hurt a fly. I spoke about my feelings with regard to taking meds AND how I felt when I checked out previous posts. It's subjective. I felt that way. If you don't agree, cool. But I see nothing in my post that was erroneous or offensive.

You are overreacting to his comments. You were expecting to be attacked and you read his comments with that context. Coming from outside the conversation, his comments seem pretty level.

Coming from outside the conversation they seemed condescending to me. Different viewpoints, and I felt her response wasn't outside an understandable scope. I don't think they meant I'll by their original reply with surely but it could be and was taken with offense.
    Just trying to show that her reply doesn't seem overactive and his level by all outside the convo.
  • idioblast
    idioblast Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    What part?

Dude.

See. I remember now why I'm hesitant to get involved in a community setting. There's always going to be un-deputized board police whose life revolves around monitoring...all. I can see you're a posty fellow. Here's the thing, regardless of what YOU feel was said in previous posts, I'm posting what I felt about previous posts. I don't need you to refer me to subsection B, article 1003 of the board posting rules according to you. Nothing in my post hurt a fly. I spoke about my feelings with regard to taking meds AND how I felt when I checked out previous posts. It's subjective. I felt that way. If you don't agree, cool. But I see nothing in my post that was erroneous or offensive.

You are overreacting to his comments. You were expecting to be attacked and you read his comments with that context. Coming from outside the conversation, his comments seem pretty level.

After re-reading, I completely agree.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    ZBennyXOXO wrote: »
    What part?

Dude.

Coming from outside the conversation they seemed condescending to me. Different viewpoints, and I felt her response wasn't outside an understandable scope. I don't think they meant I'll by their original reply with surely but it could be and was taken with offense.
    Just trying to show that her reply doesn't seem overactive and his level by all outside the convo.
    Which statements, exactly, seemed condescending you? Your use of "they" at least implies that I made multiple condescending statements. If you could point out precisely which ones, that would help.

ETA: And I don't mean to derail, but in light of a now-deleted thread from last night, this could be useful. PM if that would be preferable.

• SimoneBee12
    SimoneBee12 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I think a lot of what you read was about OTC suppressants which can be dangerous or ineffective. Prescriptions are different, I'm glad you're doing something that works for you, just remember though that eventually your brain will get use to the dose and your hunger will come back even whilst taking the meds and I'm not sure how that will pan out.
  • MMMendoza007
    MMMendoza007 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    mhaskins08 wrote: »
    Hi there. I hope you don't mind me asking you questions. My only point of reference is phen-fen (sp?) so my knowledge about phentermine is sorely lacking.

What sort of checks and balances do doctors do to make sure someone is a good candidate? What kind of follow up do they do to make sure they are no contraindications? Does the doctor assist with weaning off of the meds? Coping mechanisms?

My sister had this suggested to her and because of the relationship with fenphen(? Taking another stab lol) I thought it to be a bad idea.

It is interesting hearing the perspective of someone who is on them. Thanks.

So, I've got to head out to work. But Let me say this. I was terrified of any and all diet meds. And as a general rule if you can mange without them, that's the best coarse of action. I personally know someone, a young (late 30's) woman who died a few years back from a heart attack while taking diet meds. So it was close to home for me and scarey. It never occurred to me to even inquire about meds.

My doctor gave me a complete physical (I've been with him for years and thus my history is with him) in addition to lab work. I see my doctor once a month for a check of how I'm doing. So far, no adverse affects to blood pressure. As far as I can tell, there is no weaning off. At least for me. I take it as needed. And for me, that means, I only take it when I'm doing all the right things. When I wasn't "behaving" I stopped completely.

For the record, I log five miles a day now on the elliptical. I alternate weight training each day as well as working abs each day. I chart what I eat, plan my meals, and am still very hungry most times. It's just that I find I can control my appetite and my impulses very well during the day. In the evening, I seem to have no control whatsoever, or, I find the struggle so difficult I become defeated because I feel there is no way I can do it long term.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    In any case - if you are outlining how these products may be used as tools - either here or in a blog, you should also be responsible to mention that ANY drug that has physiological efficacy HAS RISKS. And should be discussed with a physician.

From minor side effects to severe and permanent mental changes to liver toxicity - these products should not be lightly used without considering that.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    You're under a doctor supervised program, which is totally different than someone grabbing some OTC stimulants. You will be getting a very different viewpoint from the community, than in some of those post's you're comparing.
  • ZeXea
    Options
    What part?

Dude.

Which statements, exactly, seemed condescending you? Your use of "they" at least implies that I made multiple condescending statements. If you could point out precisely which ones, that would help.
    Certainly :)! I think your original post you said you were surprised, which is understandable since its Perscribed. But with the way you mentioned surely twice, and your original wording, it seemed just like you were almost scoffing at the OP of the thread. Sort of turning your nose up at her(?) I think is the phrase.
    When she responded, I will say the use of certain words like rabid wasn't accurate but it's sometimes hard to pick perfect words and I can't judge, you responded as well. But with your response it was like
    "Well -I- have not seen..." Along with asking for proof, as if OP is making it up. Not that I think you think that, but it sort of felt that way.
    So it kind of seemed like "lol your joking" followed by "nah post proof cause I haven't seen that." With your next reply.

I hope I explained myself well. I try to but ugh I always feel I don't do it as best as I could
  • ZeXea
    Options
    The thread got deleted? Boo! I was looking for it too :(

I hope my post explaining isn't rude or anything. If so I do apologize. :(!
  • MMMendoza007
    MMMendoza007 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Soopatt wrote: »

The other part of me is fascinated. So how do they work? Do you feel full? I am trying to understand how "not hungry because I took a pill" would feel. I also wonder if that would help me at the times I do fall off the wagon. I was never eating because I was hungry, I was eating for other reasons.

It's just like what MKEgal wrote. You just aren't hungry. Not full. Just not like a heroine addict five days late for a fix. I think there may be a gap in understanding because not everyone knows what that is like. They might think they know how difficult it is, but if you can get through without the aid of the meds, you probably didn't need them in the first place. I was borderline diabetic again. I'd once had diabetes and after my weight loss, it was gone. My blood pressure was creeping up and the doctor was talking to me about meds for that. I kept trying and failing. I was becoming very depressed. I'd suffer all day and then go home and blow it. For now, I take this in the evening and I get through the night. I have every intention of getting off the pills as soon as I know I have a grip. I'll be testing myself to see how I manage without them come December (or sooner if I think I'm ready).
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    What part?

Dude.

Certainly :)! I think your original post you said you were surprised, which is understandable since its Perscribed. But with the way you mentioned surely twice, and your original wording, it seemed just like you were almost scoffing at the OP of the thread. Sort of turning your nose up at her(?) I think is the phrase.
    When she responded, I will say the use of certain words like rabid wasn't accurate but it's sometimes hard to pick perfect words and I can't judge, you responded as well. But with your response it was like
    "Well -I- have not seen..." Along with asking for proof, as if OP is making it up. Not that I think you think that, but it sort of felt that way.
    So it kind of seemed like "lol your joking" followed by "nah post proof cause I haven't seen that." With your next reply.

I hope I explained myself well. I try to but ugh I always feel I don't do it as best as I could
    So if someone says, "I read some posts that say X" then I say, "I haven't seen that, do you have links?" I'm being condescending for not accepting someone's bald assertion about something?

Yeah, I was asking her to post proof of what she said so I could read it, too.

If you believe that asking someone to support what they've said about what they've read -- not even about her feelings, but about what she's read -- is condescending, we're just going to have to disagree on what condescending means.

• ZeXea
    Options
    What part?

Dude.

So if someone says, "I read some posts that say X" then I say, "I haven't seen that, do you have links?" I'm being condescending for not accepting someone's bald assertion about something?

If you believe that asking someone to support what they've said about what they've read -- not even about her feelings, but about what she's read -- is condescending, we're just going to have to disagree on what condescending means.

I don't think it's bad to ask for it, I think it's just the way you asked. The tone of your post seemed to carry on from the first one. I'm not saying you can't ask, I didn't mean to imply that.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I don't think it's bad to ask for it, I think it's just the way you asked. The tone of your post seemed to carry on from the first one. I'm not saying you can't ask, I didn't mean to imply that.

Seriously? How does one get a "tone" from a post??
  • ZeXea
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

Seriously? How does one get a "tone" from a post??

I don't know how to answer your question, the way people write and word things give off tone. Yours you have given me is in itself off putting.
    Thank you for commenting but I don't really want to spend my morning trying to explain in detail things that I know others read and feel which others may not. I lack the full time and vocabulary and other things to do so.
    Have a good day :)!
  • DeguelloTex
    Options
    What part?

Dude.

Here's how I asked: "Do you have links to the posts you read?"

How would you have asked, instead?
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    I lift weights in the evenings after work and they either suppress my appetite or I am too tired to eat dinner afterward. As an overfat person, I recommend trying weight lifting rather than putting the additional strain on my body of stimulants. Does anyone else loose their appetite/are too tired to eat after weight lifting?
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    What part?

Dude.

I don't think trying to read a posters intent from printed words on the internetz will be productive as it clearly (case in point) often leads to people to reach the wrong conclusions.

Apologies for my part in this thread derail. I will refrain from doing so further
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    All,

Please take derailing, off-topic conversations to another thread or PM and allow this thread to return to the OP's topic about experiences with appetite suppressants. Thanks.

kgeyser
    MFP Moderator
  • ZeXea
    Options
    What part?

Dude.

Here's how I asked: "Do you have links to the posts you read?"

How would you have asked, instead?
    I might have to stop since I feel I am not doing the best job explaining myself. The exact question is fine, but the before and after around the post, added with the orIginal post prior to it gives it such a feeling. That's what I meant :( collectively as a whole reading your first post, then seeing your second post in response.
    I really do apologize but I don't think I'll be able to help like I would like to :(
  • ZeXea
    Options
    kgeyser wrote: »
    All,

Please take derailing, off-topic conversations to another thread or PM and allow this thread to return to the OP's topic about experiences with appetite suppressants. Thanks.

kgeyser
    MFP Moderator

Sorry!
    I'll drop it since I wasn't doing well myself. :)