This time last year...

Options
I think it's so easy for us to think only of how far we've still got to go and not about how far we've come! So, to remind myself of what I've managed to achieve in 12 months I've written down what I was 'this time last year'...
- 26.5lbs heavier
- seeeerrrriousssslllyy unhappy with my body and incredibly unfit!
- lacking motivation to change and lead a healthy lifestyle.
- none of my clothes really fitted me and if they did, they looked (I felt) awful.

But now
- I enjoy leading a heathly lifestyle (actually feel bad if I don't exercise!)
- I'm down 2/3 clothes sizes, not only do I fit back into old clothes but am having to buy new ones all the time!
- I am beginning to love my body and be proud of what I've achieved.

Post your 'this time last year' stories!

Replies

• jrstarling
    jrstarling Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    12 months ago I was unhealthy, extremely overweight and didn't have a care in the world about being healthy. That was 54 lbs heavier, size 24 pants, 2X shirts and felt terrible.

Now 10 months after starting my journey I can say I am much healthier, feel better, can't stop looking in the mirror at the person I am becoming. I am in 14 pants, Large shirts and feel terrific!

I faithfully workout 3 days a week at the dojo and walk on recovery days. I haven't set a goal of what I want to weigh. I figure I'll know when I get there.
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    How appropriate for me that you started this post... On Nov 1st, I just celebrated my 1 year anniversary of starting a healthy lifestyle.

One year ago I was over 200 lbs, BMI WAS 31+, my total cholesterol was >200, good cholesterol too low, and I was borderline diabetic.

Today I'm 60 lbs lighter, all my numbers are in the ideal range, I'm fitter and lighter than I've ever been in my entire adult life. I'm 43 and get mistaken for a guy in his 20's. Clothes shopping is actually fun now.

I've been maintaining for almost 5 months now. And am still reverse dieting to discover what my maintenance calories are.

What a difference a year makes!
  • thunder1982
    thunder1982 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    This time last year I was roughly the same weight I am now, having put on about 5kg and not feeling very good about myself. I continued to put on another 8kg before I decided I'd had enough and wanted to lose the weight. My problem is @80kg I hit the wall and struggle to go any lower, I tried speaking to a dr about it but her attitude in conjunction with some other negativity from my sister saw me give up. So I still have another 5kg to go before I am back where I started.

This time round I have committed to a 12 week food and exercise program which has helped to keep me on track. I also gave up my crutch 'coke' which was a BIG deal for me. Something I've never achieved before (usually I'd replace it with zero). I am 8 weeks into my program and although I am a bit off track (mainly my exercise) this week due to being sick I know I will get back on track next week when I am feeling better. This time I am determined to get past my wall, how much past it I am not sure yet in reality I probably need to go quite far past it but for now my goal is 5kg below my wall.
  • BeckyGor05
    BeckyGor05 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Amazing stories guys, well done! :)

@thunder1982 well done for recommitting! you can totally do this! Just think what you'll be able to say this time next year!!!
  • ReflectivePhase
    ReflectivePhase Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Its been 12 months for me too, i've lost 28lb, this time last year I was 168lb and i'm now 140lb, I know its not a hugh weight loss and at times i wish I had done better and I still have around 10lb to lose for my 'goal' but I think back to last year when I felt overweight, sluggish and bloated I feel so much better within myself being heathier, I enjoy working out and eating less when you start seeing results and other people notice, it really gives you the confidence to carry on and this is a lifestyle change for my now I never want to put that much weight on again. I get told I look younger now when I didn't before which was unexpected but nice and my clothes just fit like they should rather than being stuffed into. This time next year and beyond! I hope I have lost the last 10lb at least and contine to tone up and improve my shape.
  • BeckyGor05
    BeckyGor05 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Amazing @darthfridgeraider well done!:) I've also got a stubborn 10lbs to lose to get to goal. It's crazy how much a year can change us for the better!
  • SamTobyJasper
    SamTobyJasper Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This time last year I was around 140lbs, running 3x a week and planning my first 5k race...

Now I'm 167lbs, not running at the moment and definitely not planning any races! On the plus side I've got an adorable 3 month old boy :wink: and I've already lost 19lbs!!

Sorry I couldn't resist! At least I know that I can run and will again one day :smile:
  • Soopatt
    Soopatt Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    This time last year I was 12kg heavier and angry with myself for not getting going on changing my lifestyle. I thought about it constantly but just never kicked my butt to get started. I knew my 40th birthday was coming up and I was plotting various extreme starvation plans to lose weight by then - none of which I stuck to.

Only when Feb came and went without me having lost a gram and I cancelled having a big party because I felt embarrassed about how I looked did the penny drop. Even so, it took me a few months to research and commit (and find MFP).

April 2015 was when I committed to the change I have not looked back or missed a single day of logging since then.
  • shenson2522
    shenson2522 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    This time last year I was 43lbs heavier. My size 24 jeans were uncomfortable and tight, my 3x shirts barely fit. I would lose my breath walking up the stairs-and forget about carrying a load of laundry up them. Now, I'm still in my very loose 24 jeans, loose 2x shirts, I now run up the stairs carrying the full laundry basket. I have hiked 3 miles all up hill on the Pacific Crest Trail and have set a goal to reach the summit which is 4 miles. I feel amazing!
  • RedArmy1918
    RedArmy1918 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Great thread, we often forget how far we've come and we compare ourselves to others but **the only person we can compare ourselves to is ourselves**

This time last year I wasn't really committed to working out. As the holidays approached I knew what was going to happen and I was dreading it already.

-I didn't really have nutrition and my gym routine was very non commital. I was also around the 250s.

-It wasn't until after the holidays when I was 262lbs that it all changed. It was after my birthday and I had never been so heavy. My size 40 clothes and XL shirts weren't fitting either.

-So around February I started going back to the gym, by March I started seeing a nutritionist and over the last year I managed to make exercising and eating healthy part of my life. Not an extra that I have to do but now it's just something I do.

-The results have been fantastic I've lost over 36lbs and I'm on my way to meeting my goal for my 30th bday! ~20lbs to go until January 23. This time around the holidays won't be an obstacle because I know I will do things differently than last year.

Best of luck everyone!

Great thread by the way!
  • dusjujr
    dusjujr Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    This time last year I was trying to figure out how to make MFP work for me. I was and still am committed to working out I was walking two to three miles a day. I was still learning about my body and eating healthy. And as the holidays were approaching I was really worried about counting calories. My measurements were 339.2 lbs, waist was 55" and shirt xxxxl.
    Now the good news I'm down 71.2 lbs, waist is 44" and xl shirts. I completed three 5k's and I ran in all of them. I also go jogging 5-6 days out of the week for 4-6 miles. 88 lbs to go for my goal.
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    This time last year I just started at 181...and now am 121. I have been maintaining since August inbetween 120-125. I lift and do HIIT. I log daily and have learned to eat what I like in moderation. I'm still not as tone as I would like, but I'm getting there every day and can see the definition. I'm myself again...and the only thing I regret is not starting sooner.
  • xKoalaBearx
    xKoalaBearx Posts: 181 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    pandora721 wrote: »
    ... I lift and do HIIT. I log daily and have learned to eat what I like in moderation. I'm still not as tone as I would like, but I'm getting there every day and can see the definition. I'm myself again...and the only thing I regret is not starting sooner.

Me too! :p

• Ohwhynot
    Ohwhynot Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Congrats to everyone here on their successes and how far they've come in a year!
  • tracie_minus100
    tracie_minus100 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    November 2014 I weighed 251.2lbs.
    My bad knee hurt so much that it would keep me up at night. I could only walk and do the elliptical for exercise.
    I stress ate like it was my job.
    I felt lost when it came to losing the weight, and felt trapped in my own body.

Now, I weigh 177.2lbs, 74lbs less (and I actually gained 12lbs between November 2014 and January 2015 when I officially started again).
    I wear a knee brace to work out, and am only in very minor pain occasionally after hard work outs.
    I can run - and have gotten myself up to 6km at a time in just the last 2 months.
    I don't stress eat at all anymore. It's not easy, but I feel like I've really and truly conquered that, which is probably one of the hardest things I've done in my life. I have not done any emotional eating whatsoever since December, 2014.
    I can look in the mirror and feel happy and proud. I can walk into a clothing store without feeling anxiety. I feel excited to run into people I haven't seen in a long time, rather than fear it.
    I feel like I'm a good role model for my daughters.
  • jacquifrench304
    jacquifrench304 Posts: 131 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    A year ago I hunted my wardrobe for clothes that fit me for a new season, none of my clothes fit! All were too small, this year hunting for clothes all to BIG lol much better in so many ways
  • Doublemeasure
    Doublemeasure Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    A year ago I weighted over 130kgs plus (286lbs). Since then I have lost over 30 kgs (66lbs). I am fitter then I have ever been, due to indoor rowing! Going into my first competition in London next month in an outfit I would not have been seen dead in 18 months ago! I was always in baggy t-shirts and shorts and now I am wearing tights and vests! Also, getting into better looking clothes! I am more confident, self esteem is much better! Will be off my blood pressure meds in the New Year! I have 25 kgs to go, but life is so much better!
  • scorpcookie
    scorpcookie Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    A year ago Halloween had come and gone, my weight was creeping back up into the 150s after it had gone down in the 140s during the summertime before setting in at around 155lbs after the holidays.

12 months later, I've lost close to 30lbs and feel really good about myself, I still have a little ways to go before I stop losing, then slowly go into maintenance before trying a 10lbs bulk followed by a 5lbs cut to see if it makes a difference for me.
  • ssbeadlady
    ssbeadlady Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    This time last year I could hardly fit behind the steering wheel of my van. This week I noticed I could pass my purse and canes between me and the steering wheel when I got in and out of the Van due to the 65 pounds I have lost.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!