Heart Rate Monitor Suggestions?

Options
Hello! I have been using a Polar F11 for years and years, and she finally bit the bullet last week. I know (I know!!) that they are not the most accurate guide for calories burned, and I don't use my HRM as Bible, but I'm a sucker at looking at my heart rate during my activities, plus it gives me such joy to see I burned a ton of calories after I killed it during a workout. I have a lower resting heart rate (high 30's to mid-40's), so it takes a lot of energy for me to get to 160bpm, so using a HRM helps.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a HRM that won't break the bank? Looking to spend less than $120 ($150USD). The Polar was fantastic for many years, and I will likely buy another, but with all the new Fitbits and Garmin's out there, I thought I'd ask before I buy.

Thanks!

Replies

• PeiDub
    PeiDub Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Polar FT4. Or maybe the FT7 if you're feeling fancy.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Polar FT60 is customisable for max HR and VO2 max which should help with calorie estimates if you are a bit of an outlier. Plus with Polar you get good compatibility with gym equipment. Watch is quite nice to wear so I don't bother with a day to day watch. Not had any problems with losing signal and batteries seem to last well.
    The "fitness test / Ownindex" feature is quite entertaining and seems surprisingly accurate.

FT7 (and more so FT4) is pretty basic. I had loads of reliability problems with my FT7 dropping signal and ultimately it didn't last long enough. Wouldn't recommend based on my experience with it.

• Fit_Happens_2021
    Fit_Happens_2021 Posts: 303 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have the FT7 and I don't like it. It has become unreliable after only about 3 months use. The light hardly lights the screen at all, I find the screen hard to read, the beep sound is almost inaudible and pointless. I don't like the polartrainer site very much either.

I'm looking for alternative chest strap heart rate sensor with bluetooth to replace my Polar H1 so that I can link to my phone and not bother with the watch. I wear a fitbit HR on my wrist, but I am not convinced that the HR monitor is as accurate as a chest strap.

Hope we get some more replies from people who are happy with their HR monitors!
  • brandigyrl81
    brandigyrl81 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I second the FT4. It's easy to use and won't break the bank.
  • guapa68
    guapa68 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I like Mio fuse - , sync workout with your iphone and it shows you a graph of your heartrate during the workout and which zones you were in......love it.......no chest strap...... Yay
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I have the FT7 and I don't like it. It has become unreliable after only about 3 months use. The light hardly lights the screen at all, I find the screen hard to read, the beep sound is almost inaudible and pointless. I don't like the polartrainer site very much either.

I'm looking for alternative chest strap heart rate sensor with bluetooth to replace my Polar H1 so that I can link to my phone and not bother with the watch. I wear a fitbit HR on my wrist, but I am not convinced that the HR monitor is as accurate as a chest strap.

Hope we get some more replies from people who are happy with their HR monitors!

I agree had to send my FT7 back twice for repairs the third time I dumped it. I do recommend you find a HRM with a chest strap. Better accurate readings from a chest strap from my personal experience.

Currently looking at getting the new Tom Tom device that also plays music. It is yet to be released here.
  • sprale
    sprale Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I have a Timex Mid-size T5G941. It is unisex, but gives an average heart rate and time, which I plug into calculators on the following website as the calories burned estimate is way high for me. (I'm female) It is less expensive than the Polar ones and I'm quite happy with it.

http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx