Biggest Meal of the Day????

Options

Replies

• thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    If you feel the need to base what you do off of correlative results, which IMO is a very poor way of basing your diet...
    That's all it is, is your opinion.
    I eat MAX 3 meals a day. If you call 315lbs to 173lbs weight loss, then sure.
    Great job. How long did it take?.
    Usually people are proud to show off their transformations, and show that their method that they did worked. Of course you don't have to prove anything to us.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Do you have to quote all the lines? Do you feel 3-4 "pre quotes" as we can call them are relevant?
    Pls shorten them up, if someone needs to re-read the whole quote they can scroll back up.
    Thanks

WIth out studies.

Let's speak real life situations.
    We can give you dozens, 100's of people that are on this website eating 5-6 meals a day and losing weight.

Can you give us anybody that's eating 2 meals a day and losing weight?
    Are you following this plan and losing weight?

Without the quotes I don't know who you are talking to, but I usually ony eat one "meal" a day, sometimes two. But I snack througout the day. My diary is open if anyone want to look. I was never terribly overweight and I have reached my goal of size 8. I have eatern this way for most of my adult life and as long as I was exercising I've always been at a healthy weight.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    And that POS posting on the 6 meals a day not being necessary wasn't equally crappy?

Look I do not have the time to give you two strokes a complete degree in biochemstry. If you are so interested, apply for a membership to pub-med and scour the databases there. You will find thousands of scholarly reviews and studies backing up the body being in a catabolic state upon waking. Either that or pony up the $50k to get your biochem degree like I did. Maybe then will you understand. Mapex, you are 20. You can't even vote yet. You probably have not had a real job yet in life. Think about it for a minute...is it possible that your profound insights do not stand up to real research and experience?

Not sure if you're serious?

Your response is clearly indicative of someone with nothing to back up their claims. I expected nothing else from you.

Do you know ANYTHING about the human metabolic systems?

Here's the ISSN's stand.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21410984

One stating improved health on 1/meal day. Incresed hunger was experienced.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17413096

Another good one:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17998028

No differences in healthy individuals. More research is needed in people with MDs, which I always disclaim.

http://www.e-spenjournal.org/article/S1751-4991(10)00054-5/abstract

Energy balance was the same overall in this study:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18053311

Another one, same amount of weight was lost. Interesting effects on satiety as well.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

Legal voting age is 18.

Anything else, sir?
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I already have a subscription to pub-med, or rather the company I work for does. I have to go there often. There is nothing there saying it's "better" to eat small meals throughout the day or a big meal in the morning. If it works for you then it can be argued that it's better for you. But that is not an argument that it's better for me. It's not. I'm happy, healthy, feel great, full of energy and rarely hungry and eat and drink my calories at night.

And saying it in a mean and hateful manner doesn't really make your point . It might just do the opposite.

bcattoes..... :laugh::laugh:
    So we are all on the same page. A snack is meal, and dessert is a meal
    So why are you having 5-6 meals since the beginning of June.
    I don't think there's any reason to keep looking back further than that.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Great job. How long did it take?.
    Usually people are proud to show off their transformations, and show that their method that they did worked. Of course you don't have to prove anything to us.

Two years.

I have nothing to prove. Science<correlative results. Just that plain simple. Keep on eating 6 meals a day because you think it has benefits for metabolic functions. Not hurting me in any way.
  • ilsie99
    ilsie99 Posts: 259
    Options
    This thread entertains me, what with all the anger, abstracts, non-peer-reviewed studies, baseless articles, and big words being thrown around, so I'll throw my two cents worth of anecdotal evidence in.

-I eat three meals a day, breakfast is smallest, dinner is usually over 1000 calories. I eat when I'm hungry, and I stop when I'm full.

-I run 25-30 miles a week.

-I look (IMVHO) and feel great, and have lost a considerable amount of weight doing so.

-When I ate 6 meals a day, I was miserable. I felt like I was constantly eating, and when I wasn't eating I was hungry. I felt tired all the time.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    This thread entertains me, what with all the anger, abstracts, non-peer-reviewed studies, baseless articles, and big words being thrown around, so I'll throw my two cents worth of anecdotal evidence in.

-I eat three meals a day, breakfast is smallest, dinner is usually over 1000 calories. I eat when I'm hungry, and I stop when I'm full.

-I look (IMVHO) and feel great, and have lost a considerable amount of weight doing so.

-When I ate 6 meals a day, I was miserable. I felt like I was constantly eating, and when I wasn't eating I was hungry. I felt tired all the time.

I like big words. Lol.

Congrats on your results, honestly. I too felt hungry all the time eating small and frequent meals.
  • runlorirun
    runlorirun Posts: 389
    Options
    Lunch is usually my biggest. I have found that if I don't have a big dinner I can go to bed and get to sleep better and earlier. Sound silly I know but I have insomnia, so anything before 11:30 is super early for me.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options

I HATE YOU... YOU'RE DUMB AND COMPLETELY WRONG!!

J/K... I agree.. we all get too wrapped up in things sometimes and over complicate the matter sometimes. MYSELF INCLUDED. Everyone has the right to show their differences in opinion. Science backed or not, but sometimes we all need to take a breather and relax. I'll catch myself getting frustrated all the time with views.... but I try to tell myself every view has some validity behind it, regardless of where it came from. And I need to remind myself to go with what seems to make the most sense to me. With my background I totally over analyze everything and I need to realize there's always going to be discrepencies and human error in everything.

Just try to support each other... it is a public forum for discussion on ideas. don't get angry.... No one is perfect... and no one has stumbled onto the perfect solution... we all will find what works for us individually, regardless if we understand the science or idea behind it.

Hang in there, be patient, and don't lose sight of you're true ultimate goal... it will happen...
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    ^ Very good post :-)
  • HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    I usually save about 800-900 calories for my evenings since I am usually hungrier at night (and have more options then when i'm at work). I personally don't believe timing of meals matters much if you are hitting calorie counts. But I know that our bodies are not all alike so I won't speak for everyone.

I believe balancing your hunger and options to your own personal lifestyle will help you be successful/consistent.

So, if I go somewhere good for lunch one day, that becomes my biggest calorie meal and I compensate later that day.
    I like to drink wine with my boyfriend on Fridays, so I stay under my calories a few days a week to compensate for those extra.
    If I lose my mind and cheat, I make it a meal not the day and get back on again.

Being consistent is essential to my losing weight here AND will also help me maintain when I get to my goal.

My goal is to finally accepting this is a way of life for me, not a diet. It needs to fit MY preferences and personal lifestyle.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I already have a subscription to pub-med, or rather the company I work for does. I have to go there often. There is nothing there saying it's "better" to eat small meals throughout the day or a big meal in the morning. If it works for you then it can be argued that it's better for you. But that is not an argument that it's better for me. It's not. I'm happy, healthy, feel great, full of energy and rarely hungry and eat and drink my calories at night.

And saying it in a mean and hateful manner doesn't really make your point . It might just do the opposite.

bcattoes..... :laugh::laugh:
    So we are all on the same page. A snack is meal, and dessert is a meal
    So why are you having 5-6 meals since the beginning of June.
    I don't think there's any reason to keep looking back further than that.

I never said I have only 3 meals a day. I said is there is no evidence that have 5-6 is better, and that I eat most of my calories at night. All true. My diary is open, as you've seen. I don't really consider my snacks as meals, but I suppose they could be called that. To me a meal is something on a plate with a glass of wine next to it. And if the snack includes more than one item they may have been eaten hours apart, but I only have so many slots. I've always considered myself a grazer througout the day. If i get hungry I grab a snack. But in the evening I prepare a meal. Semantics, I guess.
  • Opusarlo
    Opusarlo Posts: 53
    Options
    Are you still here Mapex? Let's clear something up that I just noticed. I was reading the posts you have put up (particularly the "angry" one you posted toward me most recently) and I think you have me confused with someone else. I never once suggested that eating many meals per day increases metabolism. On that point we agree - increased meals only give one the ability to have lower "stores" of energy. There is no metabolic increase. It is a shame that people are spreading that around the net too. Too many people fall for that crap and is pisses me off. Our point of contention was over the need for breakfast to be a larger meal.

Here are some studies to back my position up:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21411835

The above study indicates the importance and effect of eating before morning exercise as well as the lack of intake prior to exercise. From that one can deduce the importance to nutritional intake in the am.

The following list of studies are some from my own collection for personal study. Peer review on these studies indicates a need for a larger meal being necessary when one wakes from a night of fasting.

Sorry for flaming you earlier - I was offended at your vicious retorts however it is apparent you thought you were educating me on the lack of support of the "5 meal a day" plan.

- Orent-Keiles E, Hallman L F. The Breakfast Meal in Relation to Blood Sugar Values. US Department of Agriculture Circular No. 827 (1949).

- Boutelle K, Neumark-Sztainer D, Story M, Resnick M. Weight control behaviors among obese, overweight, and nonoverweight adolescents. J Pediatr Psychol 2002; 27: 531-40.

- Ainslie PN, Campbell IT, Frayn KN, et al. Physiological, metabolic, and performance implications of a prolonged hill walk: influence of energy intake. J Appl Physiol 2003; 94: 1075-83.

-Kleinman RE, Hall S, Green H, et al. Diet, breakfast, and academic performance in children. Ann Nutr Metab 2002; 46, Suppl 1: 24-30.

-Heaton K W. Breakfast — do we need it? Report of a meeting of the Forum on Food and Health, 16 June 1989. J R Soc Med 1989; 82: 770

-Timlin MT, et al. Breakfast Eating and Weight Change in a 5-Year Prospective Analysis of Adolescents: Project EAT (Eating Among Teens). Pediatrics 2008; 121: e638-e645

-Vermorel M, Bitar A, Vernet J, et al. The extent to which breakfast covers the morning energy expenditure of adolescents with varying levels of physical activity. Eur J Clin Nutr 2003; 57: 310-5.

-http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21411835

-Thorn G W, Quinby J T, Clinton M Jr. A comparison of the metabolic effects of isocaloric meals of varying compositions with special reference to the prevention of postprandial hypoglcemic symptoms. Ann Int Med 1943; XVIII: 913
    - Pollitt E. Does breakfast make a difference in school? J Am Diet Assoc 1995; 95: 1134

- Ma Y, Bertone ER, Stanek EJ 3rd, et al. Association between eating patterns and obesity in a free-living US adult population. Am J Epidemiol 2003; 158: 85-92

-http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20803904

• TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I think a few things need to be clarified here. Are we arguing that 6 meals per day is better in general or are we arguing that 6 meals per day provides a metabolic advantage? Because if we are arguing the latter, then that is patently false and the myth that eating frequently will help stoke the metabolic fire has been dispelled a LONG TIME ago. Metabolism doesn’t slow down when you miss a meal here or there either…including breakfast.

Meal frequency is a largely a personal preference. There is nothing wrong with changing your viewpoints as the research shows. (Google Tom Venuto and meal frequency) You’re only hurting yourself if you’re too emotionally vested in the metabolic superiority of frequent meals and refuse to understand there are other options in your journey toward attaining the physique you want.

BTW, the entire 5-6 meal frequency myth was originally perpetuated by the protein supplement industry.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Ah ha. Understood. I apologize for snapping back...

I however train "fasted" in the mornings as well. I take a BCAA supplement beforehand, however. I don't follow the Leangains approach to a tee, but check this link out when you have a chance. Quite a few interesting things on here, and they are all backed by studies.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html
  • Rhodium1976
    Rhodium1976 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    And that POS posting on the 6 meals a day not being necessary wasn't equally crappy?

Look I do not have the time to give you two strokes a complete degree in biochemstry. If you are so interested, apply for a membership to pub-med and scour the databases there. You will find thousands of scholarly reviews and studies backing up the body being in a catabolic state upon waking. Either that or pony up the $50k to get your biochem degree like I did. Maybe then will you understand. Mapex, you are 20. You can't even vote yet. You probably have not had a real job yet in life. Think about it for a minute...is it possible that your profound insights do not stand up to real research and experience?

I take it it wasn't an ACS certified program or you haven't completed your degree yet. This is sad because you should know better. Weight loss depends on calories in versus calories out as no matter can be created nor destroyed. Weight loss depends on energy insufficiency, which builds up AMP, ADP, etc. (higher [ADP]/[ATP] ratio). Citrate won't be siphoned off the TCA out of the mitochondria for fatty acid synthesis, malonoyl-coa is inhibited thus allowing the carnitine shuttle to transport long chain fatty acids into the mitochondria for beta oxidation. Furthermore, ACP and PK are phosphorylated - inactivating them - which curtails fatty acid synthesis and gluconeogensis, respectively.

Overall meal timing is largely irrelevant. Actually, I could go as far as saying that eating more frequently inhibits weightloss as there is less glucagon to activate HSL to phosphorylate the enzymes where the torsion repulsion from the oxygens allow access to the triacylglycerols. Don't misread, because I don't actually think that is entirely the case either.

Anywayz, going to the gym and enjoying my birfday. :-)

PS - the voting age is 18, not 20.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options
    Happy BDAY!
  • Rhodium1976
    Rhodium1976 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Happy BDAY!

Thanks brah.
  • Opusarlo
    Options

I take it it wasn't an ACS certified program or you haven't completed your degree yet. This is sad because you should know better. Weight loss depends on calories in versus calories out as no matter can be created nor destroyed. Weight loss depends on energy insufficiency, which builds up AMP, ADP, etc. (higher [ADP]/[ATP] ratio). Citrate won't be siphoned off the TCA out of the mitochondria for fatty acid synthesis, malonoyl-coa is inhibited thus allowing the carnitine shuttle to transport long chain fatty acids into the mitochondria for beta oxidation. Furthermore, ACP and PK are phosphorylated - inactivating them - which curtails fatty acid synthesis and gluconeogensis, respectively.

Overall meal timing is largely irrelevant. Actually, I could go as far as saying that eating more frequently inhibits weightloss as there is less glucagon to activate HSL to phosphorylate the enzymes where the torsion repulsion from the oxygens allow access to the triacylglycerols. Don't misread, because I don't actually think that is entirely the case either.

Anywayz, going to the gym and enjoying my birfday. :-)

PS - the voting age is 18, not 20.

You have taken my post out of context. Doing that makes it easy to debunk. In context you will see I am not defending the 6 meal/day concept rather pointing out the questionable validity of a cited source.
  • Opusarlo
    Options
    Ah ha. Understood. I apologize for snapping back...

I however train "fasted" in the mornings as well. I take a BCAA supplement beforehand, however. I don't follow the Leangains approach to a tee, but check this link out when you have a chance. Quite a few interesting things on here, and they are all backed by studies.

http://www.leangains.com/2010/10/top-ten-fasting-myths-debunked.html

I read and enjoyed a good portion however there are errors in the person's logic too (based on the results of my own studies). I guess the truth is what we have found on our own, which is what I often tell people. My motivation for posting the truths about health goes way back as far as we have recorded history with (forgive the inclusion of relgion here) eve offering up an apple to cure Adam of what ailed him. I have been the vicitm of this myself, which is a moajor contributor to my decision to pursure an education in biochemistry and myobiology. I had a holistic doctor prescribe 2 things to me many years ago. One was to never eat beef again (good luck - I was a dairy farmer) and the other was to use a suave she had created to both cure and maintain my skin in a certain region of my body. Even to this day that skin is damaged beyond repair and must be treated from time to time. She read something and passed it on without validating it - fkn pisses me off. Today it is all over - look up synthol and what people are actually doing these days. I try to keep the record straight in order to help people from being duped into eating dog**** for whiter teeth.