Knee Replacement and exercise

Options
Hello MFP'ers. I'm had a total knee replacement last July and have another planned for January (yes...I am BIONIC!). Trying to shed 50 lbs. Currently using the food tracker and for exercise I am riding a recumbent bike and using a rowing machine (I like these because they don't tax my knees too much...I can control the flex). My running/jogging/lunging days are over. I'm just 50 and thought you may have some other ideas that will help me shed pounds. Anyone??
Thanks!!
ps....add me a as a friend. I like the support and will reciprocate.

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Losing weight is at least 80% eating less. Burning calories takes time.....eating them is a snap.

You might look for seated exercise: www.bing.com/videos/search?q=jessica+smith+seated+exercise&FORM=VIRE2#view=detail&mid=5A2E331596E1768CD3A55A2E331596E1768CD3A5

Do you have access to a pool? Aqua aerobics is very low impact.
  • waxhawblob
    waxhawblob Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks TeaBea. Unfortunately no pool available. I am watching calories and making better decisions. Thanks!
  • eugenia94102
    eugenia94102 Posts: 126 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    There are plenty of upper body exercises done on a bench (either lying down, incline or sitting) that do not use your lower body. Clear with your doctor or with your physical therapist if you can do any of these: isometric strength exercises for your lower body, "arc machine" (the movement of the pedals is slightly different than in an elliptical machine, there is no lateral tension on the knees, and you can keep the angle at about the same as in a recumbent bike), jacob's ladder (you can choose to keep the weight of your knees, by using your arms). Whatever you do - again, with health professional clearance - start SLOWLY and build strength overtime. That being said, I agree with the above post. The main factor to lose weight is food intake.
  • Laura03211
    Laura03211 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hi. It must be about time for your next TKR. Good luck with it. Sounds like you were doing great with your first knee, although I know that the second knee could've caused some problems with advancing your exercises. I had both knees done in 2014, but haven't done too well due to excessive scar tissue development in each knee. I just started using a recumbent bike. I tried a row machine at a gym a little over a year ago, but didn't last long. It did help the bend of each knee, and I tended to try to mimic one of my PT rehab exercises using the row machine. I haven't been able to get back to the gym in 3/4 year and hope to in a few months. I am trying to slowly build up my knees' tolerance for exercise, but have so much swelling. I also need to lose quite a bit of weight. I'd be glad to replay, if you choose. Thank you.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,670 Member
    Options
    Weight loss will make it easier on your knees. Your PT should have gave you a list of exercises to do. But work on functional basics. Leg extensions with no weight, side stepping (with band if possible), hamstring curls, leg swings, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png