Sugar test - HELP!

Options
I forgot I have my biometric screening today (cholesterol, sugar, etc...) and my boss brought in bagels and croissants. I had one of each so I am sure my blood sugar soared. Any tips on how to get it to level out by this afternoon before I take the test? I don't generally eat a lot of carbs anymore, but knowing my luck, my weakness today will kill my results :(

Replies

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Prob screwed, but cinimon, chromium, alpha lipoic acid, vitamin c all help to reduce it.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Those tests are designed for you to have fasted for a certain amount of time beforehand, right (unless you're having a different kind)? I would call the doctor and see if they would like to reschedule for a time when I could do it fasted. That's going to be most accurate.
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    Erm... Got any insulin shots? *joke* Dude, just tell your doctor what/when you ate today and ask if it would be best to reschedule.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    What type of test? Usually these are after fasting for several hours (usually 10-12) and cannot be done at all otherwise. But in this case the appointment would have been in the morning?
  • KatFru
    KatFru Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Those tests are designed for you to have fasted for a certain amount of time beforehand, right (unless you're having a different kind)? I would call the doctor and see if they would like to reschedule for a time when I could do it fasted. That's going to be most accurate.

My instructions didn't say anything about fasting.. Thankfully the test isn't until 4:30pm, and I last ate around 8:30am/9am. I'll just skip lunch and that will still be a 7.5-8 hour fast which should be more than adequate. I'll just drink a TON of water.
  • brendak76
    brendak76 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    If you are not diabetic your blood sugar should be in a normal range no matter what you eat. If you have a high blood sugar during the test then that really is a medical issue to have looked at.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    KatFru wrote: »

My instructions didn't say anything about fasting.. Thankfully the test isn't until 4:30pm, and I last ate around 8:30am/9am. I'll just skip lunch and that will still be a 7.5-8 hour fast which should be more than adequate. I'll just drink a TON of water.

Water will not lower cholesterol and blood sugar.
    Call your dr.
    I do not know about cholesterol, only ever have heard of it being measured after fasting, but you can measure blood sugar either fasting or after eating as usual, and you should fast/eat according to instruction. Fasting when you were supposed to have a normal day can also result in "cheating". Ask for instructions.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    KatFru wrote: »

If it isn't a fasting test and your doctor didn't advise you to avoid any specific foods prior to the test, I don't think there is any need for you to skip lunch. In fact, if you fast when the results are looking for your results in a non-fasted state, you may throw off the results (not a doctor, so I'm not sure). You can eat normally, which includes foods with grain. If you're in doubt, you can always call your doctor's office for more information.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I can't help but feel like you should want to get the results no matter what they are based on what you DID eat.

You ate a croissant and a bagel today. Why shouldn't you want a test that reflects what your real results on how you live are?

That's like saying "i forgot i weigh in with my personal trainer tomorrow and i didn't stick to my diet this week, how can i lose all the weight before tomorrow morning?". It is what it is and whatever results you get are accurate for TODAY.
  • KatFru
    KatFru Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    I can't help but feel like you should want to get the results no matter what they are based on what you DID eat.

You ate a croissant and a bagel today. Why shouldn't you want a test that reflects what your real results on how you live are?

That's like saying "i forgot i weigh in with my personal trainer tomorrow and i didn't stick to my diet this week, how can i lose all the weight before tomorrow morning?". It is what it is and whatever results you get are accurate for TODAY.

Because I generally don't eat a bagel or croissants (you're welcome to read my diary, it's open :smile: ). I'm not looking to "cheat" a test, especially as it's not really possible. Just looking for any advice that might help drop any sugar spike I might have gotten from the carbs.

The test is for my insurance premiums, not from my doctor. I tried calling the diagnostics place, but I just kept getting robot after robot. Thankfully I am not diabetic, at least not since I got tested last year... From what I read online, typical fasts are 6-8 hours, it will be just under 8 when I go in so I think I'll be okay. I've been working out regularly and eating healthy for three weeks now, so I don't think my results will be bad, I was just worried that the massive carbs I ate might spike the levels up.

The water is more so that I am hydrated to make the blood draw easier.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Options
    We just had ours on Wednesday. You are supposed to have fasted for these tests for at least 8 hours for them to give an accurate reading. You can drink water or coffee or tea with nothing added. We have had finger pricks in the past, with results immediately. This year they drew 2 vials of blood and the results will be emailed to us next week.
  • LastingChanges
    LastingChanges Posts: 390 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    The Dr/nurse usually asks you beforehand if you are fasting or not and then the results are evaluated based on fasting or non fasting. There is a different range they look at if it is nonfasting. Not sure if this applies specifically for biometrics but that is how it is for regular blood sugar testing.