New, excited and desperate

Options
Hello, i am new to this board and despretely trying to lose 60 pounds. I am from a family of diabetics and i finally made the choice to better my health so that i lower my risk of falling victim to the disease. My physician put me on a 1000 calorie a day program with 60 minutes of exercise a day. What are good recipes or ideas to stay within his calorie range.

Replies

• skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP :flowerforyou:

That's gonna be tough--really only 1000 cal/day? I hope you are also going to eat back the exercise calories you burn working out for 60 minutes every day. I'm at 1350 calories a day and eat a lot of protein and veggies. Feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like to view my food diary for ideas and good luck on your journey.
  • sue26
    sue26 Posts: 412
    Options
    Lean proein (fish chicken etc) plus veggies seems the best way to go. Did he also suggest a vitamin supplement as that may be a good idea as well. good luck :smile:
  • sknight1976
    Options
    WOW, only 1000 calories. You can actually eat a lot of food if you keep it basic.

Breakfast: 1 egg, 1 V8, 1 slice reduced fat cheese = 170 calories
    Am Snack: 98% Fat Free Lunch Meat, in a Lettuce Leaf w/ a little mustard = 65 cal
    Lunch: Salad w/ Lettuce, Chicken, Tomato, Cucumbers, Peppers, or any other veggie w/ 2 Light or Fat Free Dressing = approx 250 cal
    PM Snack: Apple w/ 1 Tbs All Natural Peanut Butter = 170 cal
    Dinner - Grilled Chicken Sandwich (on 100 cal thin bun) w/ lettuce tomato & light mayo, w/ Green Beans = Approx. 290 cal
    Dessert: Sugar Free Jell-O w/ sugar free cool whip = 30 calories

Total 945 So you still have room for another 55 calorie snack in there.
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    Hi there, and welcome! Feel free to add me as a friend - I post easy, healthy recipes on my blog every few days for inspiration in the kitchen.
  • ohfong77
    ohfong77 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hey - not trying to argue with a physician. But, did the myfitnesspal also put you on 1000/cal a day? From my understanding (and a lot of research) - it's pretty dangerous to go below 1200 calories due to kidney function and heart function. Going below 1200 could harm your health - what's the doctor's explanation?

Remember - physicians do not get ONE nutrition class while in med school - so make sure you are doing your research and not just listening to a physician who may not know what they are talking about.
  • laceylovespink
    Options
    good for you for taking a different road and not falling in the 'they're diabetic so I will be' trap!
    The best thing about this site is th 'food' tab at the top!! it will keep tabs on how much you've consumed and how much you have left in your calorie bank as long as you add each and every food (the phone app is super!)
    Be sure to drink lots of water (which will help keep you full) and try to find other options/recipes for the foods that you like the most

if you are determined, you can do it!!
  • dazaliah
    dazaliah Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me and take a look at my diary. I'm at 1310 calories now. 1000 seems awfully low. If you're also doing 60 minutes of exercise daily make sure to log that in so you can eat those calories back (very important or your body goes into starvation mode and you don't lose). Also, you can track your sugar, carbs and sodium on here which would probably be a great thing for your history! :) Good luck!
  • Hollycat
    Hollycat Posts: 372
    Options
    I recommend you spend a LOT of time reading the forum. What the other more diplomatic posters are not saying :blushing: is I think you'll find the general concensus here is that 1200 net calories a day is as low as you really want to go, otherwise you run the risk of doing some rather negative things to your metabolism...like slowing it down...making it, ironically, harder to lose weight. Not to counteract what your doctor said, but it's your body and your science experiment...get as many facts as you can and make your own decisions. You and your doctor both want you to be healthy. I don't know many doctors that are nutritionists as well... Your doctor is bang on with the exercise! Your heart will love you for it! Good luck!

If this is just confusing you, ignore it.

Hollycat
    :flowerforyou:
  • yes_i_can
    yes_i_can Posts: 419
    Options
    Not to rock the boat too much, but I think I'd take your doctor's advice over people that have never seen your medical history, bloodwork, medications etc. and see how that works for you first and have the conversation with the doc if you're not feeling right about it.

Just sayin'.

Good luck with it - MFP friends are always here for opinions and support!! :)
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,960 Member
    Options
    :tongue:Posts by members, moderators and admins should not be considered medical advice and no guarantee is made against accuracy

Good luck to you. There are lots of food ideas in 'Recipes'
  • Chante88
    Chante88 Posts: 12
    Options
    he put me on an appetite suppressor and told me to continue to take my multivitamin and that was it
  • Chante88
    Chante88 Posts: 12
    Options
    The doctor did not explain his reasoning for the 1000 calorie diet he suggested i feel it however i choose as long as stay within the alloted calorie amount, I've been doing it for the past week, i have weigh in wednesday and ive been working out using turbojam which burns almost 1000 calories an hour, if if i have lost nothing then ill know that i definitely need to raise my calorie intake whether the doctor likes it or not, thanks for the suggestions guys