NOT what I expected..

Options
Hey all, So I'm new here and joined a week ago. I did great staying under my calories all week and I did pretty good with the exercise. I have a lot of weight to lose and usually when I go on a new diet the first week has a pretty good loss. So I was disapointed to see I only lost 2 lbs. this week. I thought it would be more. And actually yesterday when I weighed myself (couldnt help it..grrr) I had lost 4. Today my official weekly weigh-in its 2. How did I gain 2 since yesterday? I'm trying so hard to not be discouraged, but I tried so hard.

Replies

• egoodnight
    Options
    Could be water retention. Make sure to weigh in at the same time each day.
  • Shannmarrs
    Shannmarrs Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It's your first week, try not to be discourged. The first few weeks are hard, getting use to everything and changing your life style, but it's so worth it. It could be many things: Stress, water retention...but you are doing it and that is what is important! :smile: And 2 lbs isn't anything to sniff at, that is a great start!

You can totally do this :happy: We're all here to support you.
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Try not to weigh yourself everyday. There are many reasons our weight changes often. I find I'm much happier and more relaxed if I only weigh in once a week.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as a diet think of it as a lifestyle change. If you take it slow and stead, EDUCATE yourself on healthy eating, protion size, sodium and sugar content in foods. Avoid processed and fast food as best you can. Stick with it you will learn what you have been doing wrong all these years. You will be able to make healthy choices when it comes to what you put in your body. You will be able to stick with it forever and you will never have to diet again. Just think where you will be in a year. It took time to put the weight on and it will take time to take it off the right way.
  • RedHotRunner
    RedHotRunner Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Two pounds is fantastic. That means you're doing it the RIGHT way!.

Keep up the good work.
  • v_addison
    v_addison Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I'm terrible for wanting to weigh in all the time too. What I did was get rid of my home scale and I only use the one at the gym. And now I only weigh in on friday mornings. Weight can fluctuate so much in seven days so taking it at the same time once a week can give you a more accurate reading. And keep in mind woman can have a lot of reasons for weight to change, water retention, T.O.M. etc. But more important than those numbers on the scale is how your feeling. If your feeling better, then this week was a success :)
  • rynstn
    rynstn Posts: 9
    Options
    Hi! NEVER, NEVER, NEVER weigh yourself everyday...no matter what the old brain tells you, lol!!! Do 25 jumping jacks to get your mind off the scale! Water fluctuates from day to day, so check only one or two times a week. You'll be happier!!!

1179814.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hey all, So I'm new here and joined a week ago. I did great staying under my calories all week and I did pretty good with the exercise. I have a lot of weight to lose and usually when I go on a new diet the first week has a pretty good loss. So I was disapointed to see I only lost 2 lbs. this week. I thought it would be more. And actually yesterday when I weighed myself (couldnt help it..grrr) I had lost 4. Today my official weekly weigh-in its 2. How did I gain 2 since yesterday? I'm trying so hard to not be discouraged, but I tried so hard.

Sweetie.... You didn't gain 2lbs yesterday and you didn't drop 4 the other day. I weigh every morning and my weight will bonuce around all week. Why do I weigh everyday then.... because on the day I gain I can usually find something I did that I shouldn't have. Like eat something with a little too much sugar, or not get enough water/sleep. Sometimes. exercise will make it bonuce around too... after a p90x weight day I am looking forward to a small gain on the scale, but after a cardio session I can usually count on it coming back down.

I weigh everyday to keep me accountable to myself, but I only "judge" my week by how my sunday weigh in compares to last sunday.

Just keep doing the right stuff and you will start to see things moving. It's like a roller coaster.... you will have highs and lows, but as long as you stay on the coaster you will have something to smile about when the ride stops.
  • jmuzzio7
    jmuzzio7 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Hi, I know it's sooooo hard to fight the urge to weigh yourself all the time. I was obsessed with weighing myself....so much that my husband has actually hidden the scale from me in the past. But, I have also learned that it leads to frustration and discouragement. I didn't want it to be that way this time. I'm really trying to do this right and stick with it. So, I didn't even weigh myself at all for the first month (VERY hard to do) and I only lost 3 pounds. I was pretty disappointed, but I could see and feel a difference, so I stuck with it...now I'm down 7 pounds (2 weeks later) and still seeing and feeling the differences. So, the results will come, just STICK TO IT....keep up the good work that you're doing. MFP is a great place to get support and motivation. Please feel free to add me as a friend if you'd like. :happy:
  • breezy2413
    Options
    We gain and lose about 5 lbs a day. With showering off residue, going to the bathroom, etc... not to mention if you weigh in with clothes on or off. Don't get down. I have the same problems, i'm tip toe'n on 200 lbs every week it seems. Initially if you start drinking a lot of water, you'll gain some water weight simply because of your menstrual cycle. That will affect your weigh in's every time too! Try to weigh yourself once a month- right after your period. and tape yourself, sometimes you won't see pounds as easily as you'll see inches!
  • kbanzhaf
    kbanzhaf Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as a diet think of it as a lifestyle change. If you take it slow and stead, EDUCATE yourself on healthy eating, protion size, sodium and sugar content in foods. Avoid processed and fast food as best you can. Stick with it you will learn what you have been doing wrong all these years. You will be able to make healthy choices when it comes to what you put in your body. You will be able to stick with it forever and you will never have to diet again. Just think where you will be in a year. It took time to put the weight on and it will take time to take it off the right way.

THIS!!! Great advice.
    Kaye
  • deadstarsunburn
    deadstarsunburn Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    Weight yourself in the morning on friday before you eat right before you get in the shower and after you've used the rest room. That's when you will be your lightest, so it's a bit more motivatiing/ =]
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I weigh myself every Thursday morning after using the rest room (w/o clothes b/c I don't want to add any pounds!). I know in the morning we probably weigh less since we haven't eaten all night and may be a little more dehydrated. Sometimes if I am cheating I get nervous and weigh myself on other days, but it doesn't count until Thursday morning. I would try to stick to that so you have better chance of getting an accurate comparison.
  • cthorn6720
    cthorn6720 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi! I also joined last week...and I can help you feel better. I haven't lost a single oz yet!!!!! :huh: I try not to get on the scale every day, but I've weighed twice. My weigh in day is on Tuesday so that will be the only that I will count...even though I skipped it this past Tuesday since I've only been using MPF since Friday, June 3.

My ultimate goal is to lose 75 lbs, so I have a long way to go too! But don't get discouraged, as most of the replies on your post state, it is a life change and the healthier wiser choices we make today will catch up to the scale!

Good luck and don't get discouraged!!!!!!!!!!:happy:
  • kbw414
    kbw414 Posts: 194
    Options
    Don't worry about it. My weight fluctuates up to 4 lbs throughout the day, probably because of water weight. I just weigh myself first thing in the morning and avoid doing it later in the day.

You're a woman, so you need to remember that we ladies fluctuate in weight/water all during our menstrual cycles, not just right before your period. Many women get bloated during their whole luteal phase or around ovulation. Something to consider.
  • NewVonnie
    NewVonnie Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!!! I appreciate all your support. I love knowing you all understand what I'm going through. My thin friends dont un derstand and my heavy friends seem almost upset that I want to change. This site is great and so are all of you. :)