monounsaturated and polyunsaturated

Options
Mishbee76
Mishbee76 Posts: 11 Member
edited November 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Can someone explain why it reads "in my goal chart" for monounsaturated and polyunsaturated the two should be zero ? I've always believed that you have to consume a certain amount !

I had avocado this morning and and it reads in the chart I should have zero. Can anyone explain this because I know that for a healthy lifestyle you need monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats ?

Replies

• ryanflebbe
    ryanflebbe Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    I think it's just set up so you watch total fat calories and don't get too much from saturated fat. Yes, unsaturated fats are good. Just watch your total fat intake and try to get as much of it from unsaturated, non-hydrogenated sources as possible. Ignore the zeroes and overages it shows on your nutrition breakdown.
  • Mishbee76
    Options
    Phew. ....thanks for the input, I thought I had missed something and was doing it all wrong lol.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Because the FDA doesn't give a set amount of those to consume
  • Mishbee76
    Options
    Thank you
  • Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Yep, it's too dumb to know that we need saturated fat, and that it is actually good for us!
  • CyberTone
    CyberTone Posts: 7,337 Member
    Options
    Although the individual goals of Poly Fat and Mono Fat are undefined and should be labeled as not applicable (N/A), the sum of the goals of Poly Fat and Mono Fat is defined and equals the goal of Total Fat minus the goal of Saturated Fat, given the goal of Trans Fat is zero.
    Goal (Poly + Mono + Trans + Saturated) = Goal (Total Fat)
    ...rearranging...
    Goal (Poly + Mono) = Goal (Total Fat - Saturated - Trans)
    ...since Goal (Trans) = 0
    Goal (Poly + Mono) = Goal (Total Fat - Saturated)
    Just plug your daily goals for Total Fat and Saturated into the above equation to find your daily goal of Poly Fat plus Mono Fat.

Please see this post for additional information on the reporting of the issue with MFP incorrectly changing the goals of Poly Fat and Mono Fat from N/A to zero (0). This issue seems to be fixed on the iOS app, but it still is an issue on the Web version and the Android app.
    community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10163604/poly-monounsaturated-fats#latest

@Alex Is there any update on the timeframe for fixing the display of these goals on the Android and the Web version? It is coming up on six months now.
  • Alex
    Alex Posts: 10,145 MFP Staff
    Options
    @CyberTone I don't have any new information but will see if i can get more details. If I get a timeline or an update I will post here.