Appetite Suppressants. (Long post, sorry.)

Options

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm probably one of those who just doesn't understand the use of phentermine but I'm not overly vocal about it (I will admit I have seen the negativity you mentioned but it's usually about the negative side effects and overall long term efficacy of the drug, not the person themselves). I'm always interested though, in the what happens next. I mean, if the only thing controlling your hunger is an amphetamine that shouldn't be taken regularly long term, then what happens afterwards? You say it's until you "get a grip" but if you're always hungry regardless of what you eat then how is that to happen unless the hunger is psychosomatic in some way (and I say this as someone who has eaten for the sake of eaten, it's how I got overweight).

I'm not asking this to be confrontational or anti-meds, I'm just genuinely baffled as to how temporarily and artificially suppressing the appetite leads to life long weight control.

As an aside, I may or may not have taken amphetamines in my wayward youth and I can't say I'd voluntarily take them in day to day life now. Anyway, as you were.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Phentermine is not an amphetamine ?
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Phentermine is not an amphetamine ?

My bad, I thought it was. Someone mentioned amphetamine earlier and I obviously mistakenly conflated the two without further looking into it. I guess everything else I'm wondering about stands.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Ah but it is a stimulant similar to from a quick google. I wonder if it feels the same and has the same "come down" as it were.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    I think it has a similar chemical structure. Some people take it for decades apparently http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/804728
  • alltheweigh170
    alltheweigh170 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Thanks OP. I am in the same boat as you are in that I struggle with the endless hunger in the evenings. I will try to work this out by adjusting my diet some more. I am happy to note that there is an alternative to talk to my doctor about, if I am not able to get the hunger under control.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    CoffeeNCardio Posts: 1,847 Member
    Options
    I think it has a similar chemical structure. Some people take it for decades apparently http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/804728

Wow, I can't even picture that. My mom has taken it on and off for about a decade, but the doctor put a limit on it, like this last time she took it he said "four months, that's it" and now she can't get a script for it anymore. Not a big deal really, she doesn't need it the way some people "need" it.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    The newest obesity meds, including a phentermine/topiramate combo, are approved for long term use.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    Options
    Appetite suppressants work, unfortunately they also sometimes kill people. The possibility of abuse and of death is why they require a prescription.

My SIL took Phen-Fen under a doctors supervision for a while and lost a huge amount of weight. It worked right up until it destroyed her heart. Now she is an invalid and has regained all the weight. Her life consists of living on only the first floor of her house. She defecates and urinates in a bed pan, and bathes in the kitchen using a child's wading pool.

It isn't worth it in my opinion to take a dangerous substance to accomplish what can be done be simply pushing yourself away from the buffet table.
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Surely in all of that reading you came across the distinction between prescribed meds and OTC "suppressants." Surely.

I'm afraid I did not. ...and don't call me Shirley.

OT but I love a good Airplane! reference

"Joey, have you ever been in a... in a Turkish prison?"

ok...carry on

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Meformin has an appetite suppressant component. When I was on it to control my diabetes, it would cause me to be a little nauseous (always take with food). So it has the potential to encourage the taker to eat a little less. Sometimes people lose weight when they first go on Metformin. Others I've noted were disappointed that it had little effect.
  • VintageFeline
    Options

Wow, I can't even picture that. My mom has taken it on and off for about a decade, but the doctor put a limit on it, like this last time she took it he said "four months, that's it" and now she can't get a script for it anymore. Not a big deal really, she doesn't need it the way some people "need" it.

I can't imagine taking it for decades either. Is it then an addiction to the drug more so than the effects due to tolerance? Or are those people continuously upping their dose? I find this whole medicating for weight loss pretty interesting, I'm trying not to come off as judgy because I know weight is complex but the weight is the side effect not the condition itself.

Seems you can't get them on the NHS, so maybe them not being commonly used in the UK is clouding my perception.
  • Optimistical1
    Optimistical1 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I completely understand your defensiveness, I've previously gotten my head chewed off over my opinions on artificial sugars, preservatives and natural supplements.

I previously worked for a cosmetic surgeon who prescribed Adipex (generic Phetermine) to his weight loss patients. Phetermine has been around a really long time and under Doctor supervision, monthly blood pressure checks, etc...is generally pretty safe.
    I personally had a hard time exercising while taking Adipex, as it raised my heart rate too much which made physical activity pretty uncomfortable. Also, as your body adjusts, it will completely lose its effectiveness after a couple months or so (I'm sure the exact amount of time varies greatly with everyone). Be prepared to go off of it for a while when this happens to you.
    I took Adipex off and on for so long that I was having trouble getting going without it. This may not be an issue for you, but personally, I had trouble quitting. I lost a grand total of 15 pounds taking Phetermine on and off over the course of several years. I gained 20 pounds within one year of quitting Phetermine for good. I've lost 20 pounds in a little over two MONTHS exercising and logging calories thorough MFP. I'm not saying these results are typical, I'm just giving you my personal experience.

Phetermine is good to give you a boost in the right direction, but unless you change your eating patterns and the behavioral issues that caused your weight gain in the first place, you will gain the weight back once you quit the medication.

Good luck!!
  • CoffeeNCardio
    edited November 2015
    Options

I can't imagine taking it for decades either. Is it then an addiction to the drug more so than the effects due to tolerance? Or are those people continuously upping their dose? I find this whole medicating for weight loss pretty interesting, I'm trying not to come off as judgy because I know weight is complex but the weight is the side effect not the condition itself.

Seems you can't get them on the NHS, so maybe them not being commonly used in the UK is clouding my perception.

I dunno, my mom was on the max dose for her age/weight/height last time, but for her I think it was a crutch not to do CICO, because unlike OP, who is using the drug as it's intended to be used (Paired with diet and exercise), she was sort of in the mindset she couldn't lose weight that way (diet and exercise). She's very easily taken in by the woo diet fads and such. I'm slowly, very slowly, getting her this way to MFP...

I don't think it's clouded perception in a bad way. How clear can your perception, or mine, be when it is as you said, quite a complex thing (weight/ED/Rx drug use, all of it)?
  • prettysoul1908
    prettysoul1908 Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Appetite suppressants work, unfortunately they also sometimes kill people. The possibility of abuse and of death is why they require a prescription.

My SIL took Phen-Fen under a doctors supervision for a while and lost a huge amount of weight. It worked right up until it destroyed her heart. Now she is an invalid and has regained all the weight. Her life consists of living on only the first floor of her house. She defecates and urinates in a bed pan, and bathes in the kitchen using a child's wading pool.

It isn't worth it in my opinion to take a dangerous substance to accomplish what can be done be simply pushing yourself away from the buffet table.

Wow. That's horribly sad.

Stories like this is why I gave up my "weight loss by any means necessary" approach.
  • MMMendoza007
    MMMendoza007 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Man, there was a lot of helpful information waiting for me this evening. Thank you, everyone for chiming in. From what I can gather, Phentermine, while a useful tool in the short-term seems to be something I will be doing without sooner rather than later. Not because it's harmful but because it's temporary in its effectiveness. Though my doctor said that's why people cycle on and off it. I had forgotten that little detail because it had been so long since I'd taken it. The upside, though, is that I'm already noticing that when instances occur and I've either not had my dose or it's worn off, I can mange to hold it together and make a smart choice. I think now I've arrived at a stage where I'm desperately clinging to my progress and the desire not to screw that up.

At any rate, I think my doctor would have reminded me next week when I see him that the time was drawing near.

I'd like to thank the people who sent me private messages today. It's what I was hoping for from the MFP community...support. Ironically, I was looking to reach out to others that struggle in the manner that I do. Because I think there is a group of us that struggle in an acute way when it comes to evening cravings, more than the average person.

<3 Thanks.
  • MMMendoza007
    Options
    Oh and tracyannk28....
    Surely in all of that reading you came across the distinction between prescribed meds and OTC "suppressants." Surely.

I'm afraid I did not. ...and don't call me Shirley.

OT but I love a good Airplane! reference

"Joey, have you ever been in a... in a Turkish prison?"

ok...carry on

....I think I might be in love with you. :)
  • MMMendoza007
    Options
    Ah but it is a stimulant similar to from a quick google. I wonder if it feels the same and has the same "come down" as it were.

Oh and I just wanted to mention this ^^^^ See what a freak I am? This medication absolutely does not speed me up. It calms and focuses me! I can take it right before going to sleep and sleep soundly. I think I was fortunate to have any beneficial affects from it at all. My doctor explained why this is happening to me, which again only validates what others have said about different chemistry make up and what prompted me to post in the first place. Because while I'm different, I by no means think I'm unique. There are others like me.
  • CoffeeNCardio
    Options

Oh and I just wanted to mention this ^^^^ See what a freak I am? This medication absolutely does not speed me up. It calms and focuses me! I can take it right before going to sleep and sleep soundly. I think I was fortunate to have any beneficial affects from it at all. My doctor explained why this is happening to me, which again only validates what others have said about different chemistry make up and what prompted me to post in the first place. Because while I'm different, I by no means think I'm unique. There are others like me.

Typically, stimulant drugs have a calming effect in those people diagnosed with ADD and ADHD (which is why they are given Ritalin and Adderall, stimulants), have you ever looked into that?
  • MMMendoza007
    Options

Typically, stimulant drugs have a calming effect in those people diagnosed with ADD and ADHD (which is why they are given Ritalin and Adderall, stimulants), have you ever looked into that?

I have something along those lines. Yes.