20 pounds to lose before December 21st!!

Options
So I'm really excited because after two years I'm finally gonna go home for Christmas. It's now my ultimate goal to lose weight before then because I don't want people pointing out how much I've gotten bigger. And there's nothing more degrading than someone telling you you've put on a lot of weight!! Which I'm getting a lot lately.. (I'm sure everybody can relate lol)

I'm on a 1,200 calorie diet daily and to be honest it's been a hit and miss. A little motivation and a positive comment would really make a huge difference since I'm doing this weight loss journey alone. Feel free to add me as your friend I'd be glad to offer you the support and encouragement you need. I know we can do this!!!!! :):)

Replies

• lmrudnick
    lmrudnick Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the same B)
  • mkakids
    mkakids Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    20# in 25 days!? Probably not going to happen unless you have a deficit of around 3000 calories each day.

You're much better off striving for a loss of 6#. Much more reasonable and realistic.
  • savageman69
    savageman69 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    you should be rushing that much...and by the looks of what few pictures you have i doubt you have 20lbs to loose anyway
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    Yeah, you need to pick a realistic goal.

You don't want to lose more than about 1% of your body weight per week - if you go above that, you tend to lose a lot of muscle, and you can actually end up normal weight but overfat because of losing too much lean mass. That can actually take significantly longer to resolve than just losing the weight at a modest pace, because muscle can be broken down much faster than it can be created.
  • LostAndLovely
    LostAndLovely Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    mkakids wrote: »
    20# in 25 days!? Probably not going to happen unless you have a deficit of around 3000 calories each day.

You're much better off striving for a loss of 6#. Much more reasonable and realistic.

More like 44 days... ;)

I still have to agree, though. Half a pound per day fat loss is not likely to happen. Maybe aim for 10 lbs? That would still be a fantastic loss for that time frame.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    How did you set your goal of 20 lbs? I bet you have a normal BMI.
    You are trying to lose too much weight in a short time of an already slender body.
  • shinds725
    shinds725 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm also on a 1200 calorie diet. I've lost 4 pounds this week so far. I'm pushing to lose 15lbs by my birthday November 26. Don't let anyone tell you that you're goal for 20lbs by December isn't realistic. It's definitely possible! Add me we should chat.
  • jaqcan
    jaqcan Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Its unhealthy, not unrealistic.
  • FarewellBlues
    FarewellBlues Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You know 20 lbs is probably a little too aggressive -- but hey, what's the harm in trying? You might not hit it, but if you really focus on eating healthy and exercising, you'll lose a decent amount and you'll feel great. Just make sure you hit your nutrition requirements, get good sleep, and drink lots of water. If you cut your food intake too much it'll be a detriment in the long run: nutrient deficiencies, low energy, more susceptible to injury and sickness, etc. Keep your primary focus on being healthy, and the motivation and weight loss will follow. Good luck!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    shinds725 wrote: »
    I'm also on a 1200 calorie diet. I've lost 4 pounds this week so far. I'm pushing to lose 15lbs by my birthday November 26. Don't let anyone tell you that you're goal for 20lbs by December isn't realistic. It's definitely possible! Add me we should chat.

This is advice from someone else with an unhealthy/unrealistic weight loss goals.

Fast weight loss is unhealthy weight loss because it makes it hard for your body to support existing lean muscle loss. So you end up losing a larger percentage of muscle mass than necessary, this only makes the scale look good.
  • sockinette
    sockinette Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Someone has never heard of water weight or glycogen reserve...
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options

It's fine if scale weight is all you're after because the scale moves quicker in the first few weeks due to water weight loss which in itself is psychologically rewarding

But it's not fat loss and it's not that visible a change

And it's not sustainable

Most on MFP want noobs not to be caught in the dieting industry yo-yo loop of water weight loss > weight gain > increasingly vulnerable to the next dieting scam or fad

So yes I will buy that you can drop 5-15lbs in water by limiting carbs, sodium and reducing food in digestive tract in a couple of weeks so your targets may not be outrageous

unless you plan on taking a scale to your reunion it doesn't really matter because the visible change will be negligible

If you want your body looking better it's down to good nutrition, higher activity, lower body fat and progressive resistance programme giving you that musculature that makes you tight and shapely

Good luck and enjoy learning

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Unless you're very overweight/obese, it's not too likely that you'll hit that goal. I say this so that you don't get discouraged and start pigging out because it didn't happen fast enough and you're sick of trying. I'm not trying to say it cannot be done, just that it's unlikely.

Keep in mind that too much dieting can be harmful to your body. You want to be healthy. Your family will care much more about your health than your weight, for sure. Stick with safe, healthy methods of weight loss.

Run your diet plan past your doctor. If he's on board, so am I.

Good luck!
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    Kalikel wrote: »
    Unless you're very overweight/obese, it's not too likely that you'll hit that goal. I say this so that you don't get discouraged and start pigging out because it didn't happen fast enough and you're sick of trying. I'm not trying to say it cannot be done, just that it's unlikely.

Keep in mind that too much dieting can be harmful to your body. You want to be healthy. Your family will care much more about your health than your weight, for sure. Stick with safe, healthy methods of weight loss.

Run your diet plan past your doctor. If he's on board, so am I.

Good luck!

Seriously Kalikel? Your poor doctor ...you seem to think everything should be discussed with one ..why is that?

OP, if you have a medical concern absolutely go visit your doctor