High fiber foods for kids

Options
mechanicmom
mechanicmom Posts: 5,695 Member
My two year old son seems to be constipated constantly. I need some ideas that I can give him to keep him from getting that way. He eats fruit and veggies but these don't seem to be enough. Beans help but they really upset his stomach. Please help!
Thanks!

Replies

• mechanicmom
    Options
    My two year old son seems to be constipated constantly. I need some ideas that I can give him to keep him from getting that way. He eats fruit and veggies but these don't seem to be enough. Beans help but they really upset his stomach. Please help!
    Thanks!
  • hmmmm
    hmmmm Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    chop up a prune or two and add them to his cereal. be careful not to give him too much:ohwell:
  • jsbartel
    jsbartel Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Try baby food....the prunes with pears....my kids really like them. Also get him to drink alot of water.
  • jbuehrer
    jbuehrer Posts: 285
    Options
    eat two to three apples all at once. Just put sliced apples (2-3 apples) in a bowl and make sure he eats them. Apples are a natural diuretic. I do this... after a couple hours i am regular again. I try to eat an apple a day.
    I eat gala because it tastes better than the chalky red delicious.
  • mechanicmom
    Options
    Thanks. He doesn't like to drink water, but I am going to work with him on that. I usually get a tiny bit of juice and delute it with water and he'll drink that since there is flavor. I'll try to get some prunes for him next time at the store, although I don't really like them myself. :laugh: Thanks for your help!
  • artloux
    artloux Posts: 13
    Options
    If he dosen't like prunes try raisins, they work the same.. so do Crasins (dried cranberries) my daughter loves them! I have to hide the bag so she dosen't eat them all in one day.
  • mmrausch
    Options
    My child has the same problem. Her Dr. said, Apples have to be eaten WITH the skin.

My daughter eats: • Mini bran muffins made from bran cereal, frosting & sprinkles make it a treat. • Oatmeal breakfast cookies. • Wheat goldfish. • Refried beans warmed with a little shredded cheese & or salsa dip with corn chips. • Graham cracker mini sticks. • Raw carrots with light ranch. • Strawberries.... anything with at least 2 g fiber.

Oranges would be great, but she won't even eat them dipped in sugar.
  • mmrausch
    Options
    Oh yeah.. very important to keep fluid levels up high. With every high fiber food, balance with fluid.. try gatorade, or chocolate soy smoothie (sold by milk)
  • gresch
    Options
    the new All Bran crackers have some fiber, I love 'em so much it's hard to put down. I'm sure you couldn't eat "too much" of them.

Also, I think most types of dried fruits have lots of fiber, so if prunes don't work...chopped up apricots, craisins etc.