Seeking advice for my first 10k

corsayre8
corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
edited September 28 in Fitness and Exercise
I've been running for several months now, and am signed up for my first race next weekend. Usually run five to six miles four days a week, with a longer run of between eight and nine miles in the weekend. So not really concerned about the distance, but other aspects of preparation have me worried.

Mostly eating. Most of my runs are first thing in the am, on an empty stomach. For race day I will have been up for several hours, and will probably need some food to keep me going. Suggestions on "light" foods that won't sit heavy in the stomach, but provide sustained energy?

Also how much should I rest before? One day? Two? Not rest, but maybe lighter runs?

I realized that different approaches work for different bodies, but was hoping to hear about other people's experiences.

Thanks!

Replies

• Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    I'm not the most experienced runner ever, but I hang out with a lot of people who are. Most people that I know that race on Saturday, will not run on Friday to allow their bodies to rest. Also, Friday evening they will have a dinner with a decent amount of carbs...such as pasta. Then on race day, you definitely don't want to run on an empty stomach if it's later in the day, so I would suggest lots of water, a banana, and something with some protein in it, but be sure you allow yourself at least an hour to digest whatever you eat.
  • Arizona_JR
    Arizona_JR Posts: 275
    Half a bagel with peanut butter works for me for a 10K prerace meal. Drink some water before you head out.
    Two days before race, make it an easy run, then a day off the day before.
    Get there AT LEAST 30 minutes early. The port-a-potty lines get long, and if this is your first race, you'll have a nervous belly most likely.
    Run an easy 10 minute warm-up.
    Don't get sucked up by the race bunnies. Stick to YOUR pace while all of the rabbits run by you. Later in the race you'll pass them when they run out of gas.
    I never rely on the race organizers for my water. I carry my own for training and racing.
    Stick to YOUR pace, stick to YOUR pace, stick to YOUR pace... you catch my meaning. :-D

Enjoy all of the post-race festivities. Hopefully you will have family or friends with you. That makes it so much more fun.
  • Arizona_JR
    I'm not the most experienced runner ever, but I hang out with a lot of people who are. Most people that I know that race on Saturday, will not run on Friday to allow their bodies to rest. Also, Friday evening they will have a dinner with a decent amount of carbs...such as pasta. Then on race day, you definitely don't want to run on an empty stomach if it's later in the day, so I would suggest lots of water, a banana, and something with some protein in it, but be sure you allow yourself at least an hour to digest whatever you eat.

I used to Carbo-load before racing, but have since learned it's not really necessary for runs under 60 minutes. I will add a few sweet potatoes to my meals the nights leading up to the race to make sure my glycogen stores are full, but nothing excessive.

Oh yah... first rule of racing......NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, EVER TRY SOMETHING NEW ON RACE DAY. STICK TO YOUR PLAN.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Bump! I'm doing my first 10K in Oct, so this will be helpful for me as well. :)
  • Arizona_JR
    bump
  • bigdawg025
    bigdawg025 Posts: 774 Member
    I've been running for several months now, and am signed up for my first race next weekend. Usually run five to six miles four days a week, with a longer run of between eight and nine miles in the weekend. So not really concerned about the distance, but other aspects of preparation have me worried.

Mostly eating. Most of my runs are first thing in the am, on an empty stomach. For race day I will have been up for several hours, and will probably need some food to keep me going. Suggestions on "light" foods that won't sit heavy in the stomach, but provide sustained energy?

Also how much should I rest before? One day? Two? Not rest, but maybe lighter runs?

I realized that different approaches work for different bodies, but was hoping to hear about other people's experiences.

Thanks!

Unlike you, I am an afternoon runner... so I can offer what works for me... however, I'm not the healthiest eater here, so take that into consideration.

I usually go and have pancakes on my long run day around 10 or 11 in the morning (or earlier if I'm awake) and then wait a MINIMUM of 2 hours (usually closer to 3) before going to do my run. I've never had an issue yet, and I did a 10 miler recently doing just what I mentioned. Like I said... it works for ME... but everyone is different. I also have to have my coffee every morning, so that is part of the breakfast process followed by intense hydration up until run time.

Here's a caveat to that... if I am running a race that's first thing in the morning... (which it sounds like yours is not)... I will eat a protein bar almost immediately after I wake up and begin hydrating right away and save the breakfast for after the race.

As far as rest... NOTHING the day before... no walking... no jogging... no elliptical... no bike... no strength... ZERO! I would typically do a shorter run (between 2 and 4 miles) 2 days prior, but that day is ok to rest, too. I had a marathon runner I work with tell me you shouldn't do anything the entire week prior. So... like I said... we're all different... but there's just a few suggestions.

GOOD LUCK!!! ROCK IT!!! :happy:
  • jjcra1995
    jjcra1995 Posts: 2
    Arizona_Jr is giving excellent advice. If you are already running eight or nine miles on the weekend treat the race as if it were any weekend run. Race day is not the time to try something new so the routine you normally use you should continue. As an example, I thought my shoes were too loose once so I tightened them up a bit and I regretted it the whole race because they didn't feel the same as on my training runs and I wasted too much mental energy thinking about the stupid shoes and not enjoying the race! I do usually rest the day before a race or do a light run of a couple miles.

Ditto his comments on pace, rabbits, and especially getting in the port-o-potty line early! Most of all, relax and enjoy! Running a race is the reward for all the hard work you've done and runners are an especially gracious, friendly crowd.

A banana and a cereal bar work well for me on all runs up to 1/2 marathon distance. Any more than that and I'll need some fuel mid race. Everyone has their own "menu" that works for them but you really should figure that out in advance during your training runs.
  • corsayre8
    corsayre8 Posts: 551 Member
    Thank you all for the imput.

The race starts at 8:30, but I am probably going to have to be up at around 5:30 to take care of animals before leaving. So that three hours without food is what I am concerned about.

Have eaten a banana with peanut butter in a whole wheat tortilla before some of my weekend runs. So thinking if I give that at least an hour to digest, I should be ok. Also one of my running partner is bringing some energy shot things to our run on Monday to try out in case I feel like I need a little extra as we go.

Both her and her husband will be running the race, and hopefully another co-worker as well. Expecting it to be a good time :-)
  • Jujubie
    Jujubie Posts: 130 Member
    Best of luck and have fun too!
This discussion has been closed.