How do you maintain that initial excitement!?

Options
I'm way beyond the initial excitement of getting healthier and stronger. I'm beyond the initial excitement of my new job. I guess it's not uncommon to be easily excited about new things and less excited as you get used to those things. But I still want to be excited about things! Any tips on how to do that? Not necessarily just with fitness stuff.. Thanks!

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    just be disciplined...it's like anything else in life...you're never going to be all 100% excited about anything all of the time...
  • Nikion901
    Nikion901 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    That initial exceitement wears off .... it's natural and happens about everything in life .... ever been crazy in love and then found it changed as time went on ... still in love but not like when it was new? Ever buy something new and feel absolutely blessed everytime you looked at it, thought about, touched it and then after a while you didn't much care anymore? .... If you had that initial surge all the time you would fry your brain!

The way you keep on going is you make it a pattern of living ... like how you get up each morning, brush your teeth, put on your clothes ... all without much thinking about it. In other words, it has to become a part of your everyday living ... a habit of doing things a certain way.
  • Sarajvz
    Sarajvz Posts: 30 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I think this is one of the big reasons why so many people fail at long term weight loss success. The initial excitement does go away, the motivation fades, and alls you have ahead of you is years and years, and then more years of the same old same old maintenance routine. In a nutshell-maintenance is boring :|

There is a small percentage of people who DO succeed at this whole thing long term though, and I'm determined to be a part of that group. Maintenance has been more challenging for me than the weight loss phase was, but I'm a little over two years into it, and right now I just do one day at a time. So far it's working pretty well for me :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,849 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    For me, there was no initial excitement. I didn't want to be here and I didn't want to do this. It was with heavy sighs and rolling of eyes that I set out to prove people wrong. They thought I should be able to lose weight ... but I was too old, too far along into perimenopause ... there was no way I could lose weight and I was just simply going to remain the weight I was for the rest of my life.

For 10 days, I was right.

And then I started to lose.

For me, sticking with it was a combination of my natural stubbornness + seeing results. An easily manageable plan also helped ... a plan that allowed it all to become habit. It's just what I do now.
  • Ptyson4
    Ptyson4 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'm back after initially losing 50 lbs(thanks, Weigh Watchers), gaining 25 back(thanks, sugar, wheat, fat etc), then losing it again (thanks, My Fitness Pal!!!), gaining 30, down 3 now. I never thought I'd be the one yoyo-ing. That euphoria I felt at being thinner was all I needed, or so I thought. So here I am, trying to acknowledge and focus on the fact the entire 50 never came back, that over the past 6 years, while all the choices haven't been great, some have been darn fine. I believe finding new ways to embrace the process is a way to keep things fresh. Finding new apps like Happy Scale, reacquainting myself with old ones like Map My Run, making new friends, having them hold me accountable, these things re-ignite the flame. Good luck! Add me as a friend if you like.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    I think the trick is finding something that keeps you going after the "honeymoon" wears off. For me, I was never losing weight just for its own sake, but for the sake of other personal goals of mine that required a level of physical fitness I didn't and don't have. Those goals are still important and meaningful to me.
  • sunandmoons
    sunandmoons Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Motivation comes and goes. Endurance and commitment will get you to your goal. Keep going! It will happen.
  • pondee629
    pondee629 Posts: 2,469 Member
    Options
    The same way you get up and go to work every day, day after day, week after week, month after month, year...

You find a pace and stick to it. It comes your life, or the way you live.
  • niniundlapin
    niniundlapin Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Do what you like; like what you do. That's how I treat things that meant to last long :smile:
  • MissJay75
    MissJay75 Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    The first 6 months or so were tough because it was a new habit I was trying to form. 2 years later, the habits are in place, so I don't need the excitement or motivation any more than I need motivation to take a shower every day or do the dishes when they are dirty. I don't feel like I need to be excited about those things. I am passionate about things I enjoy, and don't need to artificially stir up excitement for things I consider 'adulting'.

But for that first 6 months or so, I found what worked for me was to make a deal with my husband. By nature I am super competitive, and didn't want to lose the 'bet'. For example, we each set up goals each week, and if we didn't meet the goal, we would watch a movie of the other person's choice. My goals at first were things like drink my 8 ounces of water and take my vitamins every day. A little later on, I was struggling with motivation to work out, so I would make a bet him that I could work out a certain number of minutes that week.

We would change the bet every week, depending on how we needed to challenge ourselves. Sometimes the loser had to do a household chore normally done by the other person. The great thing was, if we both met our goals, no one had to lose. Conversely you could have positive rewards if you meet the goal.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Toys. I get a new app or fitness clothing. I sign up for an event I have to train for.
  • Mussronkey
    Mussronkey Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I went on iTunes and found an album of drill instructors "singing" motivational cadences. Helps on those long tread mill runs!
  • Merrysix
    Merrysix Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I'm really enjoying bootcamp to stay motivated. Love the women, and we have a lot of fun sweating together. Somehow the energy carries over into other areas too1
  • susb
    susb Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Become grateful each and everyday, that is the key to happiness instead of yearning for excitement that cannot be sustained. Think of it this way, you wouldn't appreciate excitement if it was a part of your everyday life. We appreciate it for the short time it comes our way, whether it be a new job, relationship, marriage or a new baby. Look up words of inspiration and most center on the word gratitude.

Look for contentment versus excitement. Be grateful for your new job, your health, your family, etc. because none of us know what's ahead of us in the future..

Susan
  • DaddieCat
    DaddieCat Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    For me, it's being goal oriented. I set a short-term goal and work toward it. Once I've achieved it, I get a "hit" of that excitement again and feel encouraged... I then set another attainable goal and continue the process.

It works for me.
  • luvwords1996
    luvwords1996 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have set up lots of incremental goals and made a google calendar for just those goals. Some of them are lose 1st 10 pounds, lose 5% of my body weight, lose % of my body weight, be in the 100's (wonderland!), have less than 50 pounds to lose, etc.... I have figured out approximately how long this should take, then add 3-4 weeks to that to account for weight loss not being linear. Every time I hit one of those goals, I realize I'm making progress. If I don't hit a goal, then I can see how far I am from that goal and adjust the calendar accordingly. I never "beat myself up" for not hitting a goal by a certain date. Those dates are just to keep me focused and moving in the right direction. I have lost 26 pounds in 92 days using this method. It has really helped me on days when the scale just won't budge for awhile. I can see where I've been and where I'm going.