My weakness...

Options
starting to use this app again to lose weight. My weakness is however sweets! Has anyone had this same issue and if so how did you deal with it? For example, I could be content and not even want something sweet and then I see and of course have to have it. Or times it just mindless snacking.

Replies

• pnklzzy
    pnklzzy Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I use to crave them like mad!!! BUT. Ever since I have been exercising I have not had any! I don't feel I need to put all that sugar and artificial crap in this body that I have been working so hard on... I feel proud of the things I have accomplished and don't want to screw it up..... Get the right mindset and you can do anything!!
  • webbs32210
    webbs32210 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feed back! I also think that with this app and how I'm tracking what I eat and how much of it I eat will keep me accountable. Its first day back on track so I'm going to stay positive with my goal in mind
  • MikeLeTwigg
    MikeLeTwigg Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    1 "sweet" calorie = 2 cardio calories that must be done

After a while with this rule you will be careful on what you crave and the portion size. Plus if you want something you can, you just have to earn it.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    I have something sweet every evening; a piece of good rich dark chocolate, 50cals.
    If I have spare calories I may have something different.

I love home made cookies, don't make them anymore, but every 2 weeks when we go shopping at Costco, I look at their cookies, and say I am going to get some when we have finished shopping.
    By the time we get back to them I look drool then declare ' nah, I don't need them.'
    There are a couple of things at play here.
    Looking and appreciating.
    Giving permission
    Taking time to decide the intensity of desire.

By the time I get back to them; the desire has gone and will has persevered.

It really is a case of what you want. Weight loss or sweets- to put it simplistically. (Of course you can make room for a reasonable amount in your deficit goal.)

Cheers, h.
  • TonnnnUK
    TonnnnUK Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    This post really rang true with me and there are some good point made above as well.

I got into a habit of eating a lot of snack foods (chocolate and crisps/potato chips), just for the sake of it really, or boredom, to fill myself up even though I wasn't even hungry etc.

Now I've only started the healthy eating thing 3 weeks ago, so I'd say I'm still in the honeymoon period where I am dedicated to keeping at it. This app is definitely helpful to track what you are eating, and if you have to add something "bad" then it could make you feel guilty and be the kicker you need to cut it out. It also may give you a shock at what some foods contain that you thought were healthy.

Also, I have been doing intense workouts 6 days a week. They hurt, I sweat bucket loads during and after, but ultimately I feel really good afterwards that I did it and I am enjoying them. I have no desire to eat anything that will undo all of that hard work.

Of course as I said above, I am still in the early phase of this. I KNOW that soon it will get harder to keep up with the good foods, and cravings will start to kick. Especially as I become bored of the same foods. At this point I don't think it is healthy to totally resist. Obviously, there is no point in gorging too much, but a moderate quick "fix" should be enough to keep the mind and body happy. I will also be spying on other users' menus and hopefully find some new and interesting meal ideas. And also, in time, try some healthy snack versions for that fix.

The whole point of healthy living is to adapt to what works best for you, and you have to find enjoyment in it. There's no point doing a diet you hate and are constantly craving other things, because, eventually, you just don't want to stick with it any longer.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    edited November 2015
    Options
    @TonnnnUK
    'The whole point of healthy living is to adapt to what works best for you, and you have to find enjoyment in it. There's no point doing a diet you hate and are constantly craving other things, because, eventually, you just don't want to stick with it any longer.'

Very well said. If you have this attitude after only 3 weeks; keep it, and you will succeed.
    Everything in moderation.

Cheers, h.
  • rankinsect
    rankinsect Posts: 2,238 Member
    Options
    The way I deal with snack foods is moderation. I plan my meals the day before and sometimes, if I crave sweets, I'll have some, but I plan them into my meals and eat only what I planned. It's been quite a while since I've had a dessert food, so today I'll make some banana cake that should last me 8 days - I've planned them into my calories and won't go over because of them.

Same actually with milk and cheese, two of the foods I overate the most. I still have both, but I eat and drink them in moderation.
  • webbs32210
    webbs32210 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you all who have commented or given your personal experience about this topic. Everyone has made valid points/ and given great suggestions. I won't completely cut them out but in moderation and knowing that I don't need to have it EVERY day.